Hunter 220

Hunter 220

March 8th, 2008, 1:46 am #1

Looked one of these over this evening.  Spanish made.  Are these rebadged Cometa's?  If so what other models are Spanish made?  I had a RWS92 (Spanish Made) that is a super little gun right out of the box,  Thanks Ray

March 8th, 2008, 10:30 am #2

i it's a gamo shadow1000 with a cheap plain looking wooden stock. i bought a 220 a couple years back. everything was nice and shiny, looked really great, and shot really good. until a year later i decided to mount the scope on it. it did not hit the paper where it should have at all. impossible to sight. took a real close examination of the rifle, i saw that the barrel pivot block either closed too tight, making the barrel point skywards, or didn't close enough making the barrel droop downwards. this was why it didn't shoot well with a scope but with open sights, since the rear sight and the front are both on the same leveled surface, it was dead straight.

if you do decide to get one, do look and check if the barrel closes evenly level with the breech or you will not be able to zero in a scope on it. i also went and checked a bunch of them at sports authority and every single one that i was able to (the opened box ones) were uneven. my opinion, if you actually really want a cheap looking wooden stock rifle with a hard plastic stock butt, you're better of with the cheaper copycat crosman quest.

Last edited by tsab on March 11th, 2008, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2008, 1:10 pm #3

<P>And I thought Daina was the only one with this issue,  thanks for the info, R </P>

March 10th, 2008, 7:57 pm #4

I believe it's inherent to some degree in all break barrels. The reasons for this continue to rage. Is it intentional to accomodate iron sights? Is it a technoligical given due to the lockup design? I don't know and really don't care. If you have droop or rise and want to scope a gun, you can adjust the barrel, so it becomes a moot point.

One thing to consider. If it is a design or manufacturing flaw, so to speak, look at how much you are paying for these guns. Most are under $400. If you want a break barrel with zero droop, you may be looking at one costing twice that due to hand-fitting, et cetera.