HRPC FT Match Report March 18th

HRPC FT Match Report March 18th

March 19th, 2012, 1:43 am #1

That time of the month that I so look forward to rolled around again. For me this month was a bit different because I was looking forward to using my new TM1000 for the first time in a match. I was both excited and apprehensive because I just got my numbers dialed in and I had never shot the gun at any distance other than 10, 28 and 50yds.

The morning started out with a cool 68° and we were promised winds of 12 to 15 knots with gusts to 20. For the entire match we had a steady wind from the east that created a swirl on our baffled range. What makes it tricky also is that we are shooting across a manicured lawn that gives little indication as to what is happening on the field. To complicate things further the covered firing line is enclosed on both sides which renders our windicators useless. They will be hanging limp when the wind beyond the enclosed area is blowing like crazy. It is liken to shooting from eight feet inside a building through a open door where the wind then takes the pellets off course.

Ed had to go out of town so Dan & I were the only competitors for our fifty two shot match. Shooting the TM1000 was pure joy. The gun shoulders nicely with an awesome balance and puts the pellets where you aim (barring the effects of the wind). My first lane was offhand for four shots, two at about 14yds and two at 27yds. They were quickly & efficiently dispatched with authority. I cleaned the first three lanes and had my first miss on a long 49yd target that hit the face plate at 9 o'clock. This miss reminded me of the prevailing windy conditions and I made a mental note. My next shot on the target was a kill with me holding outside the kill zone at 3 o'clock. I missed an easy kneeler at 26yds as well as two other long shots. I am very satisfied with the performance of the TM1000 and I can see where I will enjoy shooting this gun for awhile.

Dan has been pretty consistent in getting a score of 39-40 for a few months. Today he was experimenting with a new shooting position after shedding his harness. Hopefully he will see an increase in his score as he masters this new position. After missing on a few lanes today he realized that his elevation turret indicator was bent causing him to input the wrong amount of clicks. Gotta check your equipment before a match.

We had a good time of it and again we welcome one and all to join us on the third Sunday of the month.

Shooter Rifle Class Scope Pellet Score

Donovan Taylor TM1000 Open Sightron III 10-50X60 AA 10.34 48/52

Dan Chong Walther LG300 Open Walther 10-40X56 JSB-H 39/52

Link to a few pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1061672115 ... directlink

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

March 19th, 2012, 4:03 am #2

Take a look a the picture of Dan shooting. There are two people standing outside the enclosure watching.....

Go grab them! They are interested. Invite them in.

Your TM looks like mine with the exception of the butt pad. Did you do that? Looks good. It rained today so I could not go outside, but did get a chance to fine tune my trigger. That is shear perfection and when I get the time to run pellets through it and turn down the velocity a bit, I am sure it will perform like a circus pony.

Keep doing what you are doing and the interest level will grow, one shooter at a time.

Nice report.
Mark

March 19th, 2012, 6:31 am #3

That time of the month that I so look forward to rolled around again. For me this month was a bit different because I was looking forward to using my new TM1000 for the first time in a match. I was both excited and apprehensive because I just got my numbers dialed in and I had never shot the gun at any distance other than 10, 28 and 50yds.

The morning started out with a cool 68° and we were promised winds of 12 to 15 knots with gusts to 20. For the entire match we had a steady wind from the east that created a swirl on our baffled range. What makes it tricky also is that we are shooting across a manicured lawn that gives little indication as to what is happening on the field. To complicate things further the covered firing line is enclosed on both sides which renders our windicators useless. They will be hanging limp when the wind beyond the enclosed area is blowing like crazy. It is liken to shooting from eight feet inside a building through a open door where the wind then takes the pellets off course.

Ed had to go out of town so Dan & I were the only competitors for our fifty two shot match. Shooting the TM1000 was pure joy. The gun shoulders nicely with an awesome balance and puts the pellets where you aim (barring the effects of the wind). My first lane was offhand for four shots, two at about 14yds and two at 27yds. They were quickly & efficiently dispatched with authority. I cleaned the first three lanes and had my first miss on a long 49yd target that hit the face plate at 9 o'clock. This miss reminded me of the prevailing windy conditions and I made a mental note. My next shot on the target was a kill with me holding outside the kill zone at 3 o'clock. I missed an easy kneeler at 26yds as well as two other long shots. I am very satisfied with the performance of the TM1000 and I can see where I will enjoy shooting this gun for awhile.

Dan has been pretty consistent in getting a score of 39-40 for a few months. Today he was experimenting with a new shooting position after shedding his harness. Hopefully he will see an increase in his score as he masters this new position. After missing on a few lanes today he realized that his elevation turret indicator was bent causing him to input the wrong amount of clicks. Gotta check your equipment before a match.

We had a good time of it and again we welcome one and all to join us on the third Sunday of the month.

Shooter Rifle Class Scope Pellet Score

Donovan Taylor TM1000 Open Sightron III 10-50X60 AA 10.34 48/52

Dan Chong Walther LG300 Open Walther 10-40X56 JSB-H 39/52

Link to a few pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1061672115 ... directlink

Nice looking rifle too! How old are your pellets? The latest batch of AA 10.34's have been
so bad I switched to JSB. Hope they fix that.

Hope to see you at the NATS.

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

March 19th, 2012, 10:40 am #4

Take a look a the picture of Dan shooting. There are two people standing outside the enclosure watching.....

Go grab them! They are interested. Invite them in.

Your TM looks like mine with the exception of the butt pad. Did you do that? Looks good. It rained today so I could not go outside, but did get a chance to fine tune my trigger. That is shear perfection and when I get the time to run pellets through it and turn down the velocity a bit, I am sure it will perform like a circus pony.

Keep doing what you are doing and the interest level will grow, one shooter at a time.

Nice report.
Mark
are shooters that were participating in a two day regional small bore tournament that was being held on the rifle side of the range. Those two are juniors from Tampa.

That butt assembly is from my EV2 (now doing BR duty)...I sent it to Martin when he was ready to make my stock and he did a great job of installing it for me.

March 19th, 2012, 10:51 am #5

Nice looking rifle too! How old are your pellets? The latest batch of AA 10.34's have been
so bad I switched to JSB. Hope they fix that.

Hope to see you at the NATS.

Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle
a fellow shooter in February "11. I had gotten a couple tins of the same batch from Pyramyd in May '10 and was so happy with them I bought a case only to end up with some of the most horrible pellets for FT use. I sent them back and started searching for the good batch on the used market. I am going to guess that they were produced may be two or more years ago. Can the date be deciphered from the label on the base of the tin?

March 19th, 2012, 1:37 pm #6

of the tin. I use the last four digits of the first row of numbers, ie; 2005, 2010.
Tins marked 2010 and earlier are good. 2011's won't shoot out of anything, although
inside 30yds are ok. All my older stuff is gone except one tin of 2005. Saving that
for the NATS.

If those numbers are actually dates, 2005 & 2009 were the cats meow.

Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

March 19th, 2012, 2:25 pm #7

AA 10.34 pellets that I am using:[/IMG]

I wash, lube and shoot. No weighing or sorting.

Here is a pic of a sample from the bad case that I had to send back. I am just happy that Pyramyd was very accommodating in taking them back unlike another dealer who thought that I was too "fussy" about some lead pellets and actually told me that I could melt them to make lead weights for fishing (I don't fish). You can guess which dealer will never see another dollar from me.

[/IMG]
You can clearly see the seams (wings) down the side.

March 19th, 2012, 2:31 pm #8

I never had to weigh either. Wish I had the forethought to stock up. Their newest offering
is so bad I switched to JSB for the time being.
Just pulled out my tin, my numbers match yours exactly.
(want to get rid of some? LOL!)

Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle
Last edited by mark600 on March 19th, 2012, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2012, 2:36 pm #9

discovered these pellets I had the foresight to stock up but I was already too late, they were gone and I ended up with a case of the bad stuff.

Last edited by jamdon on March 19th, 2012, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.