how to tame my B-26

how to tame my B-26

February 16th, 2011, 8:21 am #1

Anyone have any sugetions on how I can tame the shot cycle on my B-26? I have gotten so used to co2 that a springer is not that pleasant to shoot. Keep in mind that I got my gun from Mike so whatever he does to them before he ships has already been done. The trigger is awesome but the recoil is heavy to say the least.

thanks much
jim

February 16th, 2011, 2:11 pm #2

and it is harsh shooting, something is either wrong--or you are correct and you just are spoiled by the lack of recoil.

Any odd sounds or excessive torquing?

I thought the 26's were supposed to be some of the smoother shooting chinese springers.

God bless,

Farmer

February 16th, 2011, 4:56 pm #3

Is yours in .177. I have a MM tuned one in .177 that I have always thought was rather harsh compared to my other MM tuned gun. B40. I always attributed it to the B26 being in .177 instead of .22.

February 16th, 2011, 6:26 pm #4

Anyone have any sugetions on how I can tame the shot cycle on my B-26? I have gotten so used to co2 that a springer is not that pleasant to shoot. Keep in mind that I got my gun from Mike so whatever he does to them before he ships has already been done. The trigger is awesome but the recoil is heavy to say the least.

thanks much
jim
I replaced my spring and piston seal with a crosman quest spring and seal. Add a polished washer to the top hat end of the spring. Polish the spring end and the whole length of the coils with about 400 or 600 wet dry paper, get you some heavy tar and coat the spring just a little. Then shoot, shoot and shoot it. There is another spring Mike gave me that calmed the gun down some but at high altitude I need as much force from the spring that I can stand.

Good luck

February 16th, 2011, 10:07 pm #5

thanks much
jim
the shot cycle will become more manageable if you are prepared to lose some power. I shoot in the UK where the power limit is 12fpe and I got a B26 in .177 from Best Airgun. It was giving over 16fpe when I got it - I cut a couple of coils off the spring (went 1 coil at a time till I got in the ballpark), closed and refinished the end of the spring and adjusted the preload with washers - once the power was down at around 12fpe (11.5 in fact) the recoil was much less harsh. Lock time will likely go up but it may be too little for you to notice.

If you want to keep the power then you need to add mass to the stock in the form of lead ballast and maybe quite a bit of it.

Cheers
Simon
Last edited by real_plank on February 16th, 2011, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2011, 2:56 am #6

thanks much
jim
When the first spring broke I had a new proper fitting spring guide made which really tamed it.

It's a shame that two months later my brother lost grip on the barrel while cocking; bent the barrel and cracked the stock. If was weird, he didn't have the gun cocked very far, I was sitting next to him. At least he didn't smash his fingers.

February 21st, 2011, 12:24 pm #7

thanks much
jim
I got a chance to shoot some other springers this weekend and was thrilled with my B 26. I know now that I am just spoiled by shooting my CO2 rifles all the time. May still look into a spring guide but found my B 26 smooth in comparison to some of the others I shot.

thanks much for the responses
jim