How to set up side focus scope

How to set up side focus scope

July 18th, 2010, 2:23 pm #1

How can i set up a S/F scope that has know yardage numbers marked on it ?
It`s a Simmons 6-21x44 Prohunter.

July 18th, 2010, 6:06 pm #2

If a scope does`nt have any yardage incriments on it, what is the best way to put accurate yardage incriments on it ( the obbjective or side-wheel ). I really need to know. Thanks Rich

July 18th, 2010, 6:33 pm #3

have anything to do with focus. i use white waterproff medical tape and mark it with a fine sharpie.

July 18th, 2010, 9:33 pm #4

O.K. I understand that, but how do you set up the side wheel.
Is there a certain size (words or numbers) that you should see clearly at a given distance? Would it be like a 1" tall word that you should be able to read sharp and clear at any distance ? Say like when at 40yd you can read the words, you would then mark that at 40yd with the sharpie ?

July 18th, 2010, 11:12 pm #5

Here's a link to a British document that should be helpful. It's not exactly how I set one up, but is very detailed and will get you off to a good start.
http://viriato.net/airgunning/bfta_setup_manual.pdf

Let us know if you have questions after reading this document.

Tame care,

Harold
Harold Rushton

July 19th, 2010, 4:48 am #6

How can i set up a S/F scope that has know yardage numbers marked on it ?
It`s a Simmons 6-21x44 Prohunter.
Hi mate.
I mark my side wheel(which has a shark-fin extension) in yards using white sticky back tape & a red sharpie pen, both available from any good Stationers store.
I generally take a target out to the Range & then placeing it out at each required range I focus carefully on it & when I'm happy that I have the target nice & sharp I mark the wheel accordingly with the relavant range. Long winded I know but the only effective way of doing it.
I would add however that light can have a massive effect on ranging so do this in the kind of conditions that you will likely to be shooting in, we here in Britain shoot predominately in open, deciduous woodland rather than in open, exposed meadow so I set up in that kind of light. The South African shooters, who generally shoot in open veldt had some ranging issues at the Northern Irish Worlds back in '08.
I hope this helps.

July 19th, 2010, 5:23 am #7

O.K. I understand that, but how do you set up the side wheel.
Is there a certain size (words or numbers) that you should see clearly at a given distance? Would it be like a 1" tall word that you should be able to read sharp and clear at any distance ? Say like when at 40yd you can read the words, you would then mark that at 40yd with the sharpie ?
purposes...set target(s) out at various ranges and focus until sharp to verify yardages marked on your 'side focus' knob...then set targets at yardages between those marked and note for adding those as you need...

But...biggest pitfall to this exercise is how sharp/narrow your depth of field is for the scope you ate testing...some have a very 'narrow' depth of field...others are much wider...

I find my Hawke scopes much better in that regard than Barska or CenterPoints,as an example...

July 20th, 2010, 11:03 am #8

Here's a link to a British document that should be helpful. It's not exactly how I set one up, but is very detailed and will get you off to a good start.
http://viriato.net/airgunning/bfta_setup_manual.pdf

Let us know if you have questions after reading this document.

Tame care,

Harold
when the rifle sits in the car for any length of time the tape heats up and the glue breaks down. then the tape starts to slip if slightly stretched onto the wheel. so i would strongly suggest not stretching the tape too much. this shrinkage inspired me to take the advise of a mate in GB. so, i just wrote right on the side wheel with a super fine tip sharpie. will not wipe off either unless goof off is used. alcohol will do the trick but not quite as good as goof off. i just love it. will not use tape again if given the choice.

[/img]
Last edited by MrThumpman on July 20th, 2010, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 20th, 2010, 12:22 pm #9

Hi mate.
I mark my side wheel(which has a shark-fin extension) in yards using white sticky back tape & a red sharpie pen, both available from any good Stationers store.
I generally take a target out to the Range & then placeing it out at each required range I focus carefully on it & when I'm happy that I have the target nice & sharp I mark the wheel accordingly with the relavant range. Long winded I know but the only effective way of doing it.
I would add however that light can have a massive effect on ranging so do this in the kind of conditions that you will likely to be shooting in, we here in Britain shoot predominately in open, deciduous woodland rather than in open, exposed meadow so I set up in that kind of light. The South African shooters, who generally shoot in open veldt had some ranging issues at the Northern Irish Worlds back in '08.
I hope this helps.
that taking news paper print of various size prints. this helps focusing at different ranges. close ups work best on fine print whereas bigger print works best at further distances. i also use a tape measure to insure accurate infromation is being transfered to the wheel. there are many ways to skin a cat however. lol. this is the way i like doing it and have no need to find another way.