How to remove rear sight elevation post on Hunter 220?

How to remove rear sight elevation post on Hunter 220?

September 26th, 2007, 5:13 pm #1

Hi all,

I just bought a Hunter 220 and mounted a scope, and would like to remove the sights. The rear sight has an elevation adjustment screw/post that is mounted in the rear of the barrel block (at the loading breach) which sticks up about 3/4". It has a hex head in the top of the post, but no amount of coercion or cajoling will remove the post! (swear words haven't helped either) I'm afraid I'm going to strip out that hex head.

Has anyone had any success with removing this post? What was your method?

Thanks!

September 26th, 2007, 6:06 pm #2

It has  loktite on the threads so a little heat will work wonders to get it loose, if that fails a pair of vice grips at the very base of the screw always works.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

September 26th, 2007, 10:46 pm #3

Hi all,

I just bought a Hunter 220 and mounted a scope, and would like to remove the sights. The rear sight has an elevation adjustment screw/post that is mounted in the rear of the barrel block (at the loading breach) which sticks up about 3/4". It has a hex head in the top of the post, but no amount of coercion or cajoling will remove the post! (swear words haven't helped either) I'm afraid I'm going to strip out that hex head.

Has anyone had any success with removing this post? What was your method?

Thanks!
go to like home depot or lowes and get two nuts (cant remember size, sorry) that can you can thread onto the post. once you've threaded both on, turn the bottom one and the post should back itself out. I had the exact same issue with a hunter 220.

September 27th, 2007, 12:59 pm #4

It has  loktite on the threads so a little heat will work wonders to get it loose, if that fails a pair of vice grips at the very base of the screw always works.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/
What is the best way to apply heat? Heat gun? Propane torch? Or other? I don't want to damage the bluing on the rifle.

I think I'm going to double-nut AND apply heat at the same time.

Thanks again!

September 27th, 2007, 10:57 pm #5

i never used heat at all. the post just screwed right off!