How many here have metal detectors???

How many here have metal detectors???

August 4th, 2012, 11:08 pm #1

Starting a new hobby and I live near the beach so why not give a try. How many of you guys do this for fun and what's your best find. Bud-sc

August 4th, 2012, 11:55 pm #2

Whites, Garret, ect...

best finds?
depends on whether you are talking precious metals, coins, or...
Coins was likely a fused blob of Gold and Silver coins I recovered at the site of a gambeling hall/brothel that burned up in the Great Fire that leveled most of northern MN at the turn of the century...mixture of mostly silver dollars with a number of gold piece partially fuzed by the heat of the fire...sold years ago to finance beer and broads in College.

found plenty of jewelry, wedding bands, gold class rings, ect however best finds though have always been non precious metals...things like 4000 year old Copper culture tools, frozen up century or more old guns, fur trade trade axe heads
most of the areas I hit years ago had never been hit...best one was a cache of a couple dozen trade axe heads below some rapids. Likely a canoe was wreaked shooting the white water and the trade goods were cached for later recovery...all early french from the 1700s

never was much for parks, playgrounds and beaches

August 5th, 2012, 12:22 am #3

Glad you didn't just waste em.

ssssSnake

August 5th, 2012, 5:37 am #4

Starting a new hobby and I live near the beach so why not give a try. How many of you guys do this for fun and what's your best find. Bud-sc
uses two 9v batteries.
Found some coins and odd stuff here and there.

August 5th, 2012, 1:43 pm #5

Hi
I have a Tesoro " Eldorado " That model is not made anymore . I have had mine over 12 years . I like the way the features work on mine and it can discriminate pretty good . It is not real heavy and uses a 9V battery so carrying extra battery is not a real pain .

I have never searched beaches . But have done Vally ball courts that some bars have out back . I check around sports fields that have beaches and around park tables . Looking around old home sites and farms you will be digging up 95% nails and horse shoes and no matter where you go Beer and pop can pull tabs .

Once you learn how to set your machine and learn the sounds and the way it acts that will help .

I also rigged up a 5 gal bucket with one of those tool liners and have 2 bottles of water 1 for drinking and one for helping to wash off things that you find .
I have a small stainless toothbrush sized brush a old tooth brush and then a Large old heavy duty knife ( bayonet style ) A VERY heavy duty small gardeners trowel / shovel a very heavy duty sharpened 1 ft long spike or piece of steel . a small magnifying glass ,a piece of screen or a kitchen style hand flower strainer .

BUG SPRAY SUN SCREEN and a SMALL FIRST AID KIT !!!!

Sounds like a LOT of stuff but it really isn't and you WILL USE ALL OF IT . Instead of the bucket you might prefer a back pack or small hand duffle bag .

I haven't found any really old coins in Ohio ( 1920's era ) a few cheep rings (gold ) some old keys , a lot of bullets / shell cases / a few old rusted up knives a really old pair of glasses that did have gold in the frame . and some objects that are from the 1750's to 1890's ??? what they are I have no idea ..

Ohh you might want to take a knee / kneeling pad ????

AND GET PERMISSION TO Dig look where you go .

Most of all if you dig up -- make a mark cover it back and try to put the first plug of grass back over the spot you started and then step on it .

I know this was long but hope it helped some ..

You can spend from 100.00 to a couple of thousand on a detector .

Jerry 944

August 5th, 2012, 3:20 pm #6

Best things I've found are lost car keys and some odd-sized nuts and bolts that fell off motorcycles.

August 5th, 2012, 4:05 pm #7

Plan to use it in a couple weeks wiht my kids to search some beaches for coins and jewlery.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

August 5th, 2012, 7:22 pm #8

A really nice Tesoro Bandito MicroMax and a Whites XLT. I have found better stuff with the Tesoro including a very nice woman's wedding band with 7 diamonds. Lots of silver dimes and dollars. A few V nickels some Indian head cents and my share of recent coins. The ring paid for both detectors a couple of times over... If I cold just get it off my wife's finger.

Not a whole lot of really old sites to hunt here in Oklahoma... But loads of sites starting in 1889. I like hunting old homesteads and old parks and schools.

It's a fun hobby.

Okb
Last edited by OklahomaBill on August 5th, 2012, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2012, 11:12 pm #9

Just today I found a gold ring and some wheat pennies at a small swimming hole. Three weeks ago I dug my first large cent a 1833, made my day. Good luck on your new hobby and remember that to find gold you have to dig pulltabs,nickels and zinc pennies.

August 6th, 2012, 6:31 am #10

I scored this thing at a garage sale. it was new still in the box for $20!!!! its a good water proof dive detector that runs about $700 new. I live on Kauai and theres beaches everywhere but i really havent put in the time to find stuff, there are some guys here that do it daily and do find nice rings and stuff. WHat you will need if youre going to scoop beaches is a good stainless long scope. One where you dont have to bend over, mine has a foot stomp that you step on, then lift and sift. I was shocked at the price of the thing but since i got the whites for free almost i splurged on the scoop. Theres videos on youtube on how to make them using home depot stuff(i went that route first) but they dont come out as nice as a designed one.