How long does squirrel meat keep in the 'fridge?

How long does squirrel meat keep in the 'fridge?

September 17th, 2004, 12:18 am #1

I got my first squirrel of the season tonight. A small young male. I plan to fry the meat up on Saturday. Will it keep in the refridgerator until then or should I freeze it?

- Keith -

September 17th, 2004, 12:32 am #2

Congrats on legally taking and using game. How long after shooting the squirrel did you clean it ?

Is it an older squirrel or younger ??

I would definately put it in the freezer until Friday night and then place it in the fridge to start thawing out -Wayne-

September 17th, 2004, 12:43 am #3

I got my first squirrel of the season tonight. A small young male. I plan to fry the meat up on Saturday. Will it keep in the refridgerator until then or should I freeze it?

- Keith -
What does it taste like? And please dont say like chicken...

September 17th, 2004, 12:54 am #4

It reminds me of a Turkey leg or if it is fried it is a great taste all of its own. Fry the young ones and bake or crock pot the older dogs -Wayne-

September 17th, 2004, 1:17 pm #5

Congrats on legally taking and using game. How long after shooting the squirrel did you clean it ?

Is it an older squirrel or younger ??

I would definately put it in the freezer until Friday night and then place it in the fridge to start thawing out -Wayne-
I skinned & cleaned the squirrel within 15 minutes of taking him. It is a young one and a bit on the small side. The meat was cut up and in the refridgerator 1.5 hrs after taking the game. So I'm thinking that it should be OK for a day or two in the fridge but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll fry it up tonight.

- Keith -