How do you guys like the polymer covered barrels on the new Gamos....

How do you guys like the polymer covered barrels on the new Gamos....

June 13th, 2007, 7:13 pm #1

<P>Do you like the newer style breech lock-up, with the cross-pin rather than the angled detent catch? Reason I ask is after a trip to Gander Mtn. recently, I stopped to check out some of the new Gamos and wasn't very impressed with the amount of slop I felt at the barrel pivot. Seems the breech block is also covered with the polymer plastic. I originally thought it was only on the barrel. Doesn't seem like&nbsp;plastic would provide enough firmness in the pivot area of the breech for a good consistent lock-up. Now, this&nbsp;did happen to be on one of the display models for anyone to pick up and play around with, so maybe it was just a little ragged out from abuse. I do kinda like the fluted barrel look, even though it is plastic. TIA for opinions.</P>
Last edited by ivans1 on June 13th, 2007, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2007, 7:47 pm #2

I have seen a Shadow Sport and a Recon that have over 3000 rounds on them each and the barrel pivot's are fine with good lock up. Both guns are in my safe and they get shot alot by kids. There has been one case on this forum were the breech block cracked, but I have seen no problems with the one's I have.

June 13th, 2007, 8:53 pm #3

that its made entirely of plastic, or it was it the plastic covering the steel block that cracked? In my head, based on what I saw, I'm picturing a normal Gamo steel breech and barrel assembly with molded plastic covering the whole thing. Is that right? Thanks!

June 13th, 2007, 10:30 pm #4

The breech block was plastic and it cracked.

June 21st, 2007, 2:27 am #5

Hi I was thinking of buying one of the varmint hunters , but before I do are you saying that the barrell is inserted in a plastic sleev wich is connected to a solid plastic breach... or the part that you load the pellet into... I'm not sure if that's the breach , thank you