Hiding a QB78 inside a SA80 assault carbine

Hiding a QB78 inside a SA80 assault carbine

July 1st, 2012, 11:32 am #1

Looking around for a project and having a few QB spare parts the problem was to find something suitable to make with what I had in the workshop, and a Bullpup layout seemed the ideal as most of my shooting is done in heavily wooded areas.

I have always liked the layout of the British army SA80 Carbine and I think it would be ideal to loose a QB inside the casing, so with the nice weather I decided to get the project started, its not possible to copy an SA80 exactly but as long as it can be recognised as one then I will be happy.

So this is as far as I have got in three days. The main casing is 16g aluminium and the channelling Magnesium to keep down on the weight, the grip fore stock and shoulder pad is part of a AGS stock from EBay. Keeping with my idea of hiding the complete QB in side the SA80 body, the end cap on the Co2 tube will be hidden in side the fore stock, and a special removal tool use the unscrew the cap, the QB trigger unit will disappear in the Magazine port, to operate the trigger a aluminium rod running in a brass tube goes from the front trigger to the rear and in this will be a control rod, hopefully it should work well.

One other thing is the bolt I am doing away with the standard QB bolt and using my design of a straight pull bolt, which I have used on other custom guns successfully, it will stay in keeping with the SA80.

Al

July 1st, 2012, 3:41 pm #2

went into that and it shows...

Well done Al!

Regards,

Al...the other one.

July 1st, 2012, 4:39 pm #3

Looking around for a project and having a few QB spare parts the problem was to find something suitable to make with what I had in the workshop, and a Bullpup layout seemed the ideal as most of my shooting is done in heavily wooded areas.

I have always liked the layout of the British army SA80 Carbine and I think it would be ideal to loose a QB inside the casing, so with the nice weather I decided to get the project started, its not possible to copy an SA80 exactly but as long as it can be recognised as one then I will be happy.

So this is as far as I have got in three days. The main casing is 16g aluminium and the channelling Magnesium to keep down on the weight, the grip fore stock and shoulder pad is part of a AGS stock from EBay. Keeping with my idea of hiding the complete QB in side the SA80 body, the end cap on the Co2 tube will be hidden in side the fore stock, and a special removal tool use the unscrew the cap, the QB trigger unit will disappear in the Magazine port, to operate the trigger a aluminium rod running in a brass tube goes from the front trigger to the rear and in this will be a control rod, hopefully it should work well.

One other thing is the bolt I am doing away with the standard QB bolt and using my design of a straight pull bolt, which I have used on other custom guns successfully, it will stay in keeping with the SA80.

Al
That's a very professional-looking conversion!

I seem to recall that the SA80 has a bolt handle on the left - at least the ones I shot did. Yours will be much easier for most right-handers to use, for sure!

Well done. How does it shoot?

Stephen Archer
Archer Airguns Inc.
Online stores http://www.archerairguns.com
http://www.archerpelletguns.com
Videos http://www.youtube.com/ArcherAirguns
Blog http://www.archerairguns.info

July 1st, 2012, 5:38 pm #4

Al
I have to congratulate you on your design and work, looks like a lot of thought has gone into this, I do have one question though and not just directed at your design but Bull pups in general. With the trigger rod resting on the top of the original trigger does this make the trigger pull stiffer? I would have thought being at the top of the trigger and not the bottom it would increase the amount of force required to pull the trigger, maybe an easy question for you to answer but one I have been thinking about for some time. A follow up on how the gun works would be great, looks really cool, all the best, Neil.

July 1st, 2012, 5:53 pm #5

That's a very professional-looking conversion!

I seem to recall that the SA80 has a bolt handle on the left - at least the ones I shot did. Yours will be much easier for most right-handers to use, for sure!

Well done. How does it shoot?

Stephen Archer
Archer Airguns Inc.
Online stores http://www.archerairguns.com
http://www.archerpelletguns.com
Videos http://www.youtube.com/ArcherAirguns
Blog http://www.archerairguns.info
Hi Stephen, the SA80 has used a variety of bolt systems but personally I have not seen a left handed one, They must be about as it can be made to eject left or right, I did think about putting the bolt on the left which would make it easier to load has you could keep your right hand on the grip.

I do a lot of shooting in dense woodland and the short rifle makes it a lot easier, as for how it shoots brilliant! With the bullpup layout I find it a very stable platform, I think because most of the weight is between you hands and the furthest your right hand is away from your body is about 12, I only use it up to 25m meters range with the red dot, a SUSAT with its 4x magnification would be better, something I may look at later.

With cutting the barrel down to 16 the power is down a bit so I will have retune it and get it up to around 11fpe, I think then a better sight will be needed.

Al

July 1st, 2012, 6:06 pm #6

I have to congratulate you on your design and work, looks like a lot of thought has gone into this, I do have one question though and not just directed at your design but Bull pups in general. With the trigger rod resting on the top of the original trigger does this make the trigger pull stiffer? I would have thought being at the top of the trigger and not the bottom it would increase the amount of force required to pull the trigger, maybe an easy question for you to answer but one I have been thinking about for some time. A follow up on how the gun works would be great, looks really cool, all the best, Neil.
Hi Neil, I see what your getting at regarding the connecting rod pushing on the top of the original trigger, I get around this by connecting the rod to the top of the new trigger. The rod is aluminium running in a brass tube this makes the new trigger as light to pull as the original.

This is the layout of the trigger system

Al

July 1st, 2012, 6:29 pm #7

I think the air rifle is a very clever design, as an ex Brit army guy I am also a fan of that model, I think you have overcome the obstacles of making this very cleverly. I have been asked more than once if I could make a Bull pup for someone but just do not have the time to play with something like that. I do enjoy seeing what others come up with though and up to date I think this is one of the best Bull pups I have seen, all the best, Neil.

July 1st, 2012, 7:06 pm #8

Al
Hay Al what a nice bullpup could you tell me what did you use for the SA80 or did you make the parts your self. I think it is verry nice.
Thanks Tom

July 1st, 2012, 7:07 pm #9

Al
I think you did a pretty darn good job, here is a picture of one of the older models, great job, Neil.

July 1st, 2012, 7:34 pm #10

Hay Al what a nice bullpup could you tell me what did you use for the SA80 or did you make the parts your self. I think it is verry nice.
Thanks Tom
I made everything apart from the QB and the trigger guard Tom.

Cheers

Al