HFT Tripod

HFT Tripod

July 10th, 2017, 5:07 pm #1

I know that the rules do not allow the use of a tripod in HFT. I have seen photos of (assumed to be HFT) competitors using a tripod with 2 legs extended and 1 leg fully retracted. This seems to meet the requirements of the rules.

Does it? Or is this one of those “match director discretion” gray areas?

July 10th, 2017, 5:22 pm #2

I've seen that as well and it doesn't offer any advantage over other bi-pods. Not a match-directory exception imho...

July 10th, 2017, 8:21 pm #3

I know that the rules do not allow the use of a tripod in HFT. I have seen photos of (assumed to be HFT) competitors using a tripod with 2 legs extended and 1 leg fully retracted. This seems to meet the requirements of the rules.

Does it? Or is this one of those “match director discretion” gray areas?
you can buy a brand new Bogpod SB-2 bipod with a proper rifle yoke for $29.99...https://www.amazon.com/Bog-Pod-Sportsma ... B01F3J3PMC These are very popular and I see nationally ranked shooters use them very well. I've used one since 2012 without fail. There's no need to buy the more expensive bipods which actually are more fiddly to use.

Without being too picky on the point, the rules specifically exclude tripods (by name). So, you MAY be able to use one for local matches... best to remove the third leg entirely, and check with the MD beforehand.

But I would NOT count on being able to use one at an AAFTA Grand Prix weekend or at Nationals. The pictures you see are of local matches... I've never seen a tripod used at a big match in the shooting position.

Besides, you will have to make a yoke assembly to fit on the camera tripod. More time and material expense than it's worth.

July 12th, 2017, 2:45 pm #4

Bogpod bipod with a proper rifle yoke and 2 tripods.

The problem I have with the bogpod is that the yoke won't stay level; it's either canted far right or far left. Any suggestions on how to keep it centered?

July 12th, 2017, 4:41 pm #5

Adjust the leg length so that the legs are the right height, and the same length.

No rifle will have a perfect fit within the bipod yoke. The rifle should sit within the yoke with some (intentional, even desired) rotation play. Shooting positions vary so much from lane to lane (side-hill slopes, etc) that the yoke will never be (perfectly) level. In a timed match, you will not have enough time to make any bipod sit level. And a tripod will work no better in this regard.

Only the rifle needs to be level. Install a bubble level on the rifle itself. Rotate the rifle within the yoke until the rifle is level.
Last edited by MB-BOB on July 13th, 2017, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.