Hey guys, looking for ways to remove a TKO from a recent purchased QB78.

Hey guys, looking for ways to remove a TKO from a recent purchased QB78.

June 17th, 2017, 11:06 pm #1

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong forum please move it to the correct one...

I got this rifle about a year ago, I shot it enough to tell that it is probably clipping..I don't think I could hit a paper plate at 50ft range.

I am not the best shot in the world but I am pretty sure it's not human error. .

I loosened the two grub screws(is that the correct term?) and it doesn't want to move at all. I am no 90 pound weakling but I am unable to twist any movement into at all.

I am assuming that the previous owner glued it onto the barrel.
When I look into the business end, with a light shining into the open bolt I can tell it's crooked. I do not see any evidence of damage to the TKO but something is wacky, it's throwing pellets everywhere. .

Is there a way to take the TKO apart? I would rather not destroy it, I just want it off.

I am wanting to make a shorter barreled QB78, but as a separate project, I don't really want to cut this barrel until I find out how it shoots.

I do have a heat gun, I can get it hot. Will doing that be detrimental to the TKO?..

Any suggestions on a course of action?

Thanks in advance for your time and troubles in helping me out. .

June 17th, 2017, 11:18 pm #2

One of three things happened.
Could be that the set screws are spinning rather than actually turning out (they do tend to strip if you over tighten them).

Could be that it was jammed onto the end of the barrel deeper than it was designed for (they really aren't supoose to be jammed on until they hit the 1st baffle as a "stop").

Or (and likely are right about this) it's glued on.

Assuming it is glued.

Be sure the little set screws are not just loose, but OUT.

Heat the barrel about 2" back from the end of the muzzle brake (far enough back that a propane torch flam wont directly hit the TKO).

Can wrap a wet rag aroung the barrel 3" back if worried about heat transfer.

Pull and rotate the TKO while the barrel heats.

If you are careful, the glue will let go before the TKO gets over heated/melts. If he used really good slow cure epoxy (like JB Weld steel) may be hosed.

June 18th, 2017, 12:59 am #3

I got this rifle about a year ago, I shot it enough to tell that it is probably clipping..I don't think I could hit a paper plate at 50ft range.

I am not the best shot in the world but I am pretty sure it's not human error. .

I loosened the two grub screws(is that the correct term?) and it doesn't want to move at all. I am no 90 pound weakling but I am unable to twist any movement into at all.

When I look into the business end, with a light shining into the open bolt I can tell it's crooked. I do not see any evidence of damage to the TKO but something is wacky, it's throwing pellets everywhere. .

Is there a way to take the TKO apart? I would rather not destroy it, I just want it off.

I am wanting to make a shorter barreled QB78, but as a separate project, I don't really want to cut this barrel until I find out how it shoots.

I do have a heat gun, I can get it hot. Will doing that be detrimental to the TKO?..

he is a right friendly guy

June 18th, 2017, 1:07 am #4

One of three things happened.
Could be that the set screws are spinning rather than actually turning out (they do tend to strip if you over tighten them).

Could be that it was jammed onto the end of the barrel deeper than it was designed for (they really aren't supoose to be jammed on until they hit the 1st baffle as a "stop").

Or (and likely are right about this) it's glued on.

Assuming it is glued.

Be sure the little set screws are not just loose, but OUT.

Heat the barrel about 2" back from the end of the muzzle brake (far enough back that a propane torch flam wont directly hit the TKO).

Can wrap a wet rag aroung the barrel 3" back if worried about heat transfer.

Pull and rotate the TKO while the barrel heats.

If you are careful, the glue will let go before the TKO gets over heated/melts. If he used really good slow cure epoxy (like JB Weld steel) may be hosed.
opinion that I maybe screwed on this. The heat gun I have is from my R/C aircraft days, it gets pretty dang hot but it's not propane torch hot. The usage manual advises to not use it as a hair dryer as it will crisp hair pretty readily. ..

Do you think it would be hot enough?

I do have a propane torch if I need need it, just would rather not. .

Do I need to worry about heating evenly around? Will it put a kink in the tube if not done evenly? My instinct is that it would. .

I had not removed the screws completely but I could see that they were backing out when turned. I will remove them before I try anything else.

Thanks for your insight and valuable assist. .

June 18th, 2017, 1:10 am #5

he is a right friendly guy
here before bothering him, it being the weekend and all.

I am needing to order another unit from him for a different project, if I can not resolve this QB I will call him Monday. ..

Thanks for jumping in here, appreciated. .

June 18th, 2017, 1:42 am #6

manufacturer and he told me to take a 4x6 inch piece of 1/2-3/4" plywood and cut a 1 1/2" deep cut in one end just over the size of the barrel. Push the plywood up behind the TKO and tap gently with a mallet. You may have to heat it. Worked for me many times. I have 5 TKOs and I've had to remove each one at least once.

June 18th, 2017, 1:48 am #7

opinion that I maybe screwed on this. The heat gun I have is from my R/C aircraft days, it gets pretty dang hot but it's not propane torch hot. The usage manual advises to not use it as a hair dryer as it will crisp hair pretty readily. ..

Do you think it would be hot enough?

I do have a propane torch if I need need it, just would rather not. .

Do I need to worry about heating evenly around? Will it put a kink in the tube if not done evenly? My instinct is that it would. .

I had not removed the screws completely but I could see that they were backing out when turned. I will remove them before I try anything else.

Thanks for your insight and valuable assist. .
..would be a smaller area/ more pin-point heat source..we want to heat the barrel away from the TKO and let conduction take care of the glue bond... and less likely to also heat the TKO.

Have only had to resort to heat on the ones that were glued on (and BAM 50/51 barrels that are glued into the breech)....but have had it work with no ill effects on the barrel (depends on what was used as glue). Clear fast set drug-store epoxy gives up easier, and as that's likely the most common used, have a pretty good chance of freeing that TKO without melting anything.

June 18th, 2017, 3:00 am #8

manufacturer and he told me to take a 4x6 inch piece of 1/2-3/4" plywood and cut a 1 1/2" deep cut in one end just over the size of the barrel. Push the plywood up behind the TKO and tap gently with a mallet. You may have to heat it. Worked for me many times. I have 5 TKOs and I've had to remove each one at least once.
Nail Polish Remover Eat's the Glue and Tap off w/care.....Franky

June 18th, 2017, 3:17 am #9

or some type of plastic?

June 18th, 2017, 1:48 pm #10

..and have a way of getting something as long as the barrel into a deep freezer, can give that a try. HAve gotten stocks off rifles that were bedded without any release agent using a freezer....give a day of deep freeze, whack all over the metal with a rubber mallet, and the bedding compound would often let go.