Hey guys just got a great deal on Aluminum....

Hey guys just got a great deal on Aluminum....

March 29th, 2008, 1:59 pm #1

Stopped by a local machinist friend and while I was there some guy drove up with a truckload of aluminum rounds in the back. He was selling it for a good price so my friend bought all of it and sold me what I needed for my sidewheels. To say the least I have enough to make a bunch of them so I am very pleased. The good news also is that they are 7" rounds so I can make sidewheels about as large as anyone would want. He also said he would sell me as much as I need because he would probably wind up not using this stuff all that much. It is like Christmas in march!! I don't know what the open market price is on 6061 that large but I am sure it is ridiculous. This is great news for me because I have had a lot of interest in these sidewheels. I am actually considering a CNC conversion on my milling machine to help me make them both faster and more intricate so stay tuned as it were.... Peace all....

Pete

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net
Safe Journey Space Fans, Wherever you are....
Last edited by Matospeter on March 29th, 2008, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2008, 8:21 pm #2

7" Extruded Aluminum Round 6061 T6 is $354.70 per foot at Onlinemetal.com

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=60

March 29th, 2008, 9:02 pm #3

MY friend told me that aluminum is selling for around $3-4 per pound right now so I am pretty happy with this purchase. I think I got around 50 pounds of it in the garage right now and I am probably going to get some more.... To be honest I have tried onlinemetals before and they are a ripoff. I have found aluminum drops at local machine shops most perfect for the small pieces we make for airgun parts for very cheap and even my professional supplier that I sometimes use is cheaper by a considerable margin than onlinemetals. From what I understand the good part is that they will sell small pieces to the hobbyist, I suppose that is where they make their money. My advice to anyone on here looking for metal is to drop by your local machine shops and be VERY friendly and polite and ask them if they have any small scrap pieces that they will sell you for cheap for your HOBBY!! I have a working relationship with several of the local pro shops and I usually can get what I need for a small amount of money and no shipping costs. In fact it was a visit to the local shop that netted me this Super accra dex dividing head I am using to make these cool wheels in the first place. I got that for a song as well. Good luck guys!!! But remember these people are professionals trying to make a living so do not take too much of their time and above all be NICE!! They have lots of work to do and while they are usually happy to show people the equipment and answer some simple questions they can get kinda grumpy if you waste their expensive time. I am sure all of this goes without saying but I just thought I'd say it anyway....peace..

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net

lhd

March 29th, 2008, 10:43 pm #4

As of last week, but 7" stuff adds up to a lot of lbs fast! I buy some 1:, 1.25, and 2" solid mostly, plus tubing, an it adds up on this old retired guy's budjet!

March 30th, 2008, 12:56 am #5

I am pretty happy with my purchase tho and thinking about it I may just go back there monday and get some more....peace LD...

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net

March 30th, 2008, 11:43 am #6

That stuff needs so much electrical power to make, it's never going to get any cheaper..
(Unless by some strange accident all the greeners move to Canada and America builds new nuke plants).

I've been looking at all the ads telling me to buy gold, to keep my savings from deteriorating..
But, I've been wondering if copper, aluminum & etc might be an even better investment?

Anyways, I needed about 2" of 1" OD drill rod to make a bushing. No steel in the bin.
I head over to Admiral Metals and of course they don't have any.
So, the smallest piece of 1" OD stainless they have is 3 pounds long.

So, I paid about $13 for a little 1/2" bushing!! (not counting my labor).
I hope to use that left-over SS elsewhere someday.

Cheers,
Rich

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who said it, no matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and
your own common sense. ~Buddha~

March 30th, 2008, 2:49 pm #7

I hate cutting stainless, my machines are more than up to the task and I have cut a lot of it but it is just a PIA to machine. I finally got a bandsaw blade that cut it without melting and binding up but the mill and lathe still cut it hard. Even with trying different coolants it is still a pain. I would rather machine steel anyday. Plus on the lathe I got long stringy super sharp swarf no matter which cutter I used. The mill had less problems with it it seemed than the lathe tho....

Peace...

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net

March 30th, 2008, 2:58 pm #8

Since I just go get a coffee and wait for the end to drop in the bucket..

I think it's 303 SS, so it's not real hard to turn down. The only problem
I ran into was forgetting to use the drill Doctor on the bit before making the hole..
Once I got the bit sharpened up, it made a nice clean hole.

March 31st, 2008, 4:22 pm #9

I hate cutting stainless, my machines are more than up to the task and I have cut a lot of it but it is just a PIA to machine. I finally got a bandsaw blade that cut it without melting and binding up but the mill and lathe still cut it hard. Even with trying different coolants it is still a pain. I would rather machine steel anyday. Plus on the lathe I got long stringy super sharp swarf no matter which cutter I used. The mill had less problems with it it seemed than the lathe tho....

Peace...

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net
Pete are you aware that stainless has a tendency to work harden while being cut? I realize it's not like cutting butter no matter what but if you are work hardening the metal with each cutting pass you can get it to cut easier by adjusting (increasing slightly) the depth of cut to get the cutting tool past the surface just hardened from the previous cut. Basically your just trying to get past that work hardened surface material to the softer metal. Of course each pass with the cutter will repeat the hardening on the surface left after the cut is made.

This is the same for both lathes and mill. Difference with mills being the amount of material removed per end mill flute. Where you want to make sure your feed rate is just enough to get the cutter edges in behind the hardened metal. If you remove to small an amount of metal and repeatedly take cuts in the newly work hardened steel it just compounds the hardness that must be cut and wears out tooling quicker.

You may be aware of this already but I just thought I would toss it out there.

Dee

April 1st, 2008, 2:02 am #10

I know that was what was wrong with the bandsaw blades I was using, they were too fine a tooth and heating up and work hardening the ss but went to a more aggressive blade(almost looks like a woodcutting blade) and now no problemo.... I use mostly hand ground HSS bits for the SS because I had no luck with my Carbide inserts. The SS is just a pia and I have heard that from quite a few machinists so it must not be just me.....peace...

Pete

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net