Help, old man needs help in understanding pellet prices

Help, old man needs help in understanding pellet prices

May 6th, 2012, 9:56 pm #1

1. My math may be wrong,please check it.
2. I picked a random supplier of airgun pellets and found the price of Exact pellets to be $9.95, this is 177 cal 500 ct tin. A full tin according to my scales weighs 10.40 ounces. This works out to be about 96 cents per ounce including the can. Now add on tax and shipping.
3. My local mart carries 22 cal ammunition for $18.99 add tax and call it $20.00, 550 count, weight of full box is about 63.7 ounces. This comes out to be about 31 cents per ounce and I don't pay shipping. Now to be picky, I'm getting the brass, powder and primer, I know that comes to almost nothing, but still.
4. So 22cal ammunition is about 1/3 the cost of pellets and no shipping.
5. I've been way into airguns for the past 10 years or so and have talked to some fine outstanding vendors, who go out of their way to help. I know you have to make a profit to make a living, but dog-gone this seems a bit steep.

May 6th, 2012, 10:35 pm #2

Maybe I don't understand your post, but the way I read it, it says .22 bullets are roughly twice as much per round as pellets. So that's good for pellet shooters, yes? I really don't get the "per-ounce" thing unless it's meant as a joke. Aren't we interested in how much it costs to run a gun per shot?

May 6th, 2012, 10:45 pm #3

The $9.95 pellets are good enough to win.
22 ammo good enough to win is about $ 120.00 for 500, plus shipping.

May 6th, 2012, 10:46 pm #4

2. I picked a random supplier of airgun pellets and found the price of Exact pellets to be $9.95, this is 177 cal 500 ct tin. A full tin according to my scales weighs 10.40 ounces. This works out to be about 96 cents per ounce including the can. Now add on tax and shipping.
3. My local mart carries 22 cal ammunition for $18.99 add tax and call it $20.00, 550 count, weight of full box is about 63.7 ounces. This comes out to be about 31 cents per ounce and I don't pay shipping. Now to be picky, I'm getting the brass, powder and primer, I know that comes to almost nothing, but still.
5. I've been way into airguns for the past 10 years or so and have talked to some fine outstanding vendors, who go out of their way to help. I know you have to make a profit to make a living, but dog-gone this seems a bit steep.
what the market will bear are good terms to remember when it comes to economics.
The price you quote for a tin of 500 .177 pellets is typical, sometimes you can get .22 cal pellets (twice the weight) for the same price. And, you can get a tin of Daisy Wads for about half that so 500 14 gr pellets for $5 (that's 31 cents per ounce). Daisy wads shoot pretty good in some of my guns, but the "best" pellets are the JSBs and they run me more like $12/tin but I buy them because the pellet design/and tolerance in manufacture make it worthwhile. I do believe they could be sold at $8-10/tin but they can be and are sold at a higher price because we will pay.

May 6th, 2012, 10:49 pm #5

550 .22PB rounds for $20- vs. $10 for 500 pcs. .117 pellets

means the pellets are half price of the PB rounds per shot.

The weight issue is a false equivalency...[maybe you're watching too much Fox News?]
Last edited by buzzardslunch on May 6th, 2012, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 11:08 pm #6

The $9.95 pellets are good enough to win.
22 ammo good enough to win is about $ 120.00 for 500, plus shipping.
Not going to get out in front with a box of stingers.

Brent s

May 6th, 2012, 11:59 pm #7

550 .22PB rounds for $20- vs. $10 for 500 pcs. .117 pellets

means the pellets are half price of the PB rounds per shot.

The weight issue is a false equivalency...[maybe you're watching too much Fox News?]
You Gotsa Pay!! Don't even think about buying a BIG BORE.

May 7th, 2012, 12:24 am #8

22 ammo at that price is pretty crappy stuff. JSB Exacts are among the finest pellets you can buy. If you want to compare like for like, compare the .22 ammo to the cheaper pellets you can buy at your local mart.

May 7th, 2012, 12:41 am #9

My Custom 1712 Silhouette rifle will start costing me more in ammo than the rifle did after 4 cases of SK+ goes through it. 20,000 Shots..

Same goes for my 54.18MSR Standard SB rifle. That I got a deal on so even less than 20,000 shots before the ammo is costing me more than the rifle.

Now to my new Custom High Power Silhouette rifle. In roughly 4,000 shots even reloading myself I will have spent more than the rifle cost me not including the loading equipment.

Now we get to my airguns which I shot JSB and Kodiaks or Barracuda's pretty much 100%

The TX200 PW tuned will take me around 65,000 shots to exceed the cost of the rifle.

The Anschutz 8002S2 (that I also got a good deal on) will take me over 125,000 shots before I exceed the cost of the rifle.

My Walther L300 likewise will take me well over 100,000 pellets to exceed the rifle cost.

All these are including the value of the scopes $500 and up.

So look at those numbers and tell me which rifle gives you the most bang for your buck. I love my new HP rifle but I will be shooting my airguns because they make shooting that HP much more easily and at a fraction of the cost.

This from someone that can shoot anything I want right outside my door on a 100m range no less.

Pay the couple bucks and get the good pellets. A case of 5000 SK+ for my Smallbore is around $450+ for 5000 JSB I can get them for less than $100 delivered.

You gots to pay to play and airguns is the cheapest way, even with the higher cost the rifles you get are just incredible if you get the best.

Good luck..

Dee

www.southernsilhouetteshooters.com

A website dedicated to Air Rifle, Small Bore and High Power Silhouette shooting in the Gulf South states. Check it out!

May 7th, 2012, 2:38 am #10

Mostly in part bacause I can shoot my air rifle in my back yard. If the price of pellets ever becomes too much we will learn to make our own. Making your own may also be rewarding.

Best Regards,

Rick