Have we reached the saturation point for TV commercials?

Have we reached the saturation point for TV commercials?

July 26th, 2012, 1:04 am #1

Probably not, although I may be near mine. Lately while watching something I'm not particularly interested in, I'll change channels to find something and by running up and down channels I seem to run thru an endless barrage of commercials rather than the supposed programming. It seems as though an hour long program only contains about 35 minutes of actual "show". Many shows even repeat about90 seconds of already seen programming when they return from a series of ads, before getting to rest of the program. Have our memories become that short that we need to be reminded of what we saw just 5 minutes before? I'm really becoming annoyed at the amount of commercial time found on television. It must be necessary so the studios can pay the bloated contracts given to the shows stars? It still sucks.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

July 26th, 2012, 1:12 am #2

Between all the commercials, slut programs, and modern monster shows, there is nothing to watch.

Can`t believe i`m paying for this crap.

Thanks goodnes we can get Andy of Mayberry some.

boo

July 26th, 2012, 1:29 am #3

Probably not, although I may be near mine. Lately while watching something I'm not particularly interested in, I'll change channels to find something and by running up and down channels I seem to run thru an endless barrage of commercials rather than the supposed programming. It seems as though an hour long program only contains about 35 minutes of actual "show". Many shows even repeat about90 seconds of already seen programming when they return from a series of ads, before getting to rest of the program. Have our memories become that short that we need to be reminded of what we saw just 5 minutes before? I'm really becoming annoyed at the amount of commercial time found on television. It must be necessary so the studios can pay the bloated contracts given to the shows stars? It still sucks.

John Dobson
Of course it's 'paid programing' I payed for it so what the f#%&k is this commercial doing on my paid for "Dish" TV?

July 26th, 2012, 1:44 am #4

John Dobson
Revolution! Get rid of the telebishion and hide behind a monitor. Much better than being "re-programmed" to fit their sales pitch. You can at least surf away to something that can make your mind work.

July 26th, 2012, 2:15 am #5

Is to not buy the products being hawked and if the channel gets too commercial I just give up watching it at all. I have a stubborn streak that switches on when I get perturbed.

John Dobson

July 26th, 2012, 2:20 am #6

John Dobson
and now predominantly watch Chinese and Korean TV, the banal crap that get shoved up your nose from the usual stuff as you say Russ is about maximising ads, reducing actual programed show production time (so they can pay less to produce them). The TV companies beleive we are all just cows to be milked of our cash and of course in any production environment you need to minimise your costs so there is no wastage on such things as quality.

Graeme

If it ain't broke you arn't trying hard enough

July 26th, 2012, 2:24 am #7

John Dobson
About half-past the hour, EVERY channel on the car radio is playing commercials. What annoys the heck out of me is when you see a car commercial followed by the same commercial. I don't have Alzheimer's quite yet, thank you. Then there's the commercial for the new Chevrolet, then Ford and then another make, all strung out like beads. If I were the agent buying air time, I wouldn't be too happy about that.

July 26th, 2012, 2:48 am #8

John Dobson
The Network news is fabricated for entertainment purposes only. I can get ABC, NBC & CBS but won't watch them for that reason.

July 26th, 2012, 2:58 am #9

Is to not buy the products being hawked and if the channel gets too commercial I just give up watching it at all. I have a stubborn streak that switches on when I get perturbed.

John Dobson
Now cut the cord! Or at least put some pressure on the cable/sat provider. Without paying viewers it's a dent in their wallet.
That could also work the other way and they'll jack the price up for those that continue their subscribed services though.
Haven't owned a TV since late 2006...have I truly missed much of anything?

July 26th, 2012, 3:18 am #10

I told Comcast to shove it 3 years ago. Went to a digital tuner and boosted antenna. The problem with that is 25% of the channels are pure paid programming ads. It seems that one station has only one source of ad income and run Bowflex commercials ad nauseum.

John Dobson