Has Crosman Solved .22 Barrel Quality Problems?

Has Crosman Solved .22 Barrel Quality Problems?

August 30th, 2012, 12:34 pm #1

Do they ever plan to?

I want an M-Rod to hunt avian pests in my yard. I want to stick with CO2 so I would prefer the extra power of a .22 at ~650fps to a .177 at ~725fps. But it looks like the chances of getting a good .22 barrel are very poor compared to getting a good .177. Largest pest will be crows. Longest shot will be ~50 yards. But mostly starlings and English sparrows at ~30 yards and under. I'd like to be able to use JSB 18gr Exacts or 21gr Kodiaks.

Has Crosman addressed the problem? Will they ever?

How consistent is the quality of current production .22 M-Rod barrels?

August 30th, 2012, 5:02 pm #2

It seems that most of the new 22s have displayed excellent accuracy. At least you don't hear many complaints about them anymore. Mine is an older one and I can hit pellet holes at 35 yards with it, using JSB 18.1s.I would not be scared to order a new one.

August 31st, 2012, 5:36 am #3

Do they ever plan to?

I want an M-Rod to hunt avian pests in my yard. I want to stick with CO2 so I would prefer the extra power of a .22 at ~650fps to a .177 at ~725fps. But it looks like the chances of getting a good .22 barrel are very poor compared to getting a good .177. Largest pest will be crows. Longest shot will be ~50 yards. But mostly starlings and English sparrows at ~30 yards and under. I'd like to be able to use JSB 18gr Exacts or 21gr Kodiaks.

I've shot dozens of crows past 50 yards with a .177(though closer to 850 fps)and sparrows at 30 are a cinch.

August 31st, 2012, 6:35 pm #4

Do they ever plan to?

I hope you guys don't take this comment the wrong way but Crows are considered protected under the migratory bird act to my knowledge and most states have a season on them. Not sure were you are but best check game laws first.

My granddad said they were migratory all right they would just migrate from one corn field to another! Back to reality check before you shoot, and good shooting.

August 31st, 2012, 7:52 pm #5

Do they ever plan to?

about crows.
A few years back the US and Mexico made an agreement on migratory birds.
Some ******** from Fish & Wildlife included crows.
They have always been a pest and always will be.
They eat a lot of grain, especially now that they are protected.
States now have crow seasons.
Certain hours of the day, and only on certain days of the week.
The game laws/booklet for my state is very confusing.
So confusing, most don`t know whether they are breaking laws or not.
Between the cost of licenses, and complex regulations, it is taking the joy out of hunting.
I`m at the point where dismantling Game & Fish is starting to sound good.

ps: sorry for getting sidetracked.

boo
Last edited by boohoo9 on August 31st, 2012, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 1st, 2012, 11:56 am #6

The .22 Marauder is an outstand buy, the barrels are easy to turn around if you get unlucky, also they are cheap and easy to replace. It seems most of the newer ones are GTG. A proper tune for the pellets your using will improve accuracy even more. I have a July 09 model and it's a laser, the only thing I don't like is the ergos of the stock, which I just purchased a Blaster to replace the stocker with. I would grab one, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

September 2nd, 2012, 7:10 pm #7

Do they ever plan to?

My .22 M-rod new in Dec of 2011 is a tack driver !! Sub dime size 10 shot at 50 yard targets confirm it !
Loves JSB 18.1 ( a 5.52 head BTW ) and H&N Barracuda match 21.3 in 5.53 head shot mid 800's to 900 fps.

September 4th, 2012, 4:19 am #8

Do they ever plan to?

--------------
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

September 4th, 2012, 4:24 am #9

about crows.
A few years back the US and Mexico made an agreement on migratory birds.
Some ******** from Fish & Wildlife included crows.
They have always been a pest and always will be.
They eat a lot of grain, especially now that they are protected.
States now have crow seasons.
Certain hours of the day, and only on certain days of the week.
The game laws/booklet for my state is very confusing.
So confusing, most don`t know whether they are breaking laws or not.
Between the cost of licenses, and complex regulations, it is taking the joy out of hunting.
I`m at the point where dismantling Game & Fish is starting to sound good.

ps: sorry for getting sidetracked.

boo
Sorry for the hijack - I just had to comment.

Our game laws (TN) require a lawyer to figure them out. Crows - only 3 days a week during the season; Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

--------------
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

September 5th, 2012, 2:41 pm #10

I hope you guys don't take this comment the wrong way but Crows are considered protected under the migratory bird act to my knowledge and most states have a season on them. Not sure were you are but best check game laws first.

My granddad said they were migratory all right they would just migrate from one corn field to another! Back to reality check before you shoot, and good shooting.
on crops "....on a place in the country, with an orchard and crops, that gives pretty free reign on crow shooting.