has anyone ever squeezed much more than

has anyone ever squeezed much more than

-bp

August 16th, 2012, 12:28 am #1

930FPS from an old R9? (.177, CPLs)?

any way i can make it shoot near 20 feetpounds?

-bp

August 16th, 2012, 12:58 am #2

to fly straight and true with a PCP at that speed. Becareful, you don't get into a dry fire situation with that springer.

-bp

August 16th, 2012, 1:03 am #3

i'm just asking if it can be done. inquiring minds and all that.

stay well,

-bp

August 16th, 2012, 2:12 am #4

-bp
You also know that I'm not a springer guy but I'd be concerned about a significant change in the shot cycle. Maybe so much that you'd lose the fps advantage to recoil, in terms of trajectory vs accuracy.

On the point of accuracy at those speeds my new full power rifle (one that would be very much frowned upon shooting HFT given recent comments) shoots the JSB 7.87's very nicely at 925 for 15fpe. However 19.5 fpe would need over 1050 fps which aint gonna happen. The trajectory really isn't that much different.

Accuracy at 925fps is possible but not sure how to get there in an R7.

I'm shooting that rifle at the next meet regardless, actually trying to get it ready now instead of the night before.

August 16th, 2012, 2:20 am #5

-bp
Tarantula spring (33-34 coils of .128 wire with a .540 ID) I was able to extract 960fps with CPLs using the installed oring sealed piston cap. Years ago I even accuracy tested that gun at 30 yards with the 960fps tune and at my normal 910fps tune. EVERY 910fps group was tighter than the 960fps group. Also, when the light weight R9 velocity exceeds about 930fps the gun becomes VERY hold sensitive and the added recoil does negatively affect scope life.

LOL......when I shot a "match high" score at DIFTA recently I had my heavier HW77k detuned to shoot CPLs at only 860fps which gave a really nice shot cycle AND accuracy. At last months Maryland State Championship match I also took 1st place in hunter class even though I only hit 2 out of 12 offhand and kneeling shots by hitting over 90% of the rested shots at that match.

This gave me the idea to detune my new R9 (which I actually prefer shooting) to shoot CPLs in the 860fps range, however the lowest I could get with the oring seal and .120 wire Maccari spring was 870fps, so I went with that. I did well for the first half of the match (LOL....even hitting 50% of the offhanders) keeping up with my brother till the barrel shims of the new gun started seating in and the poi shifted due to reduced barrel pivot tension.

Anywhoo......I'm of the opinion that accuracy trumps velocity when it comes to field target.

P.S. IMHO, with a springer the higher fpe levels are better handled with heavy pellets like the 10.5 grain CPH, however the fly in the ointment is the fact that heavy pellets will reduce the spring life of R9 class springs. In the beginning my brother shot only CPHs for several years and I would replace a good aftermarket spring about every two years. He then switched to CPLs and he mentioned that he has only broken one spring since, and that spring spent a lot of it's "life" shooting CPHs.

Last edited by nced1 on August 16th, 2012, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

-bp

August 16th, 2012, 2:22 am #6

You also know that I'm not a springer guy but I'd be concerned about a significant change in the shot cycle. Maybe so much that you'd lose the fps advantage to recoil, in terms of trajectory vs accuracy.

On the point of accuracy at those speeds my new full power rifle (one that would be very much frowned upon shooting HFT given recent comments) shoots the JSB 7.87's very nicely at 925 for 15fpe. However 19.5 fpe would need over 1050 fps which aint gonna happen. The trajectory really isn't that much different.

Accuracy at 925fps is possible but not sure how to get there in an R7.

I'm shooting that rifle at the next meet regardless, actually trying to get it ready now instead of the night before.
possible without using a coil spring fropm a hupmobile or pierce-arrow wrapped outside the barrel.

when i got it from ed c, he had it tuned pretty hot at 930FPS, and after a month or so of shooting, it settled in at about 912 (+or-)--that's where it's staying now.

with the talk of springers at 'full power,' i'm wondering just what 'full power' is for a springer.

i know that the 'magnum springers' which are advertised today are made for kids who are in the horsepower race, and i assume they sacrifice accuracy for power. they are also rated at the higher speeds when shot with lighter-weight (and generally less accurate) non-lead pellets.

it's just a curiosity thing.

anyway, for clarification, it's an r9, not an r7.

getting ready for a match early will never work. you'll just be dying to make some sort of changes the night before anyway. it's always better to sight in as the sun is going down for the count. rushing to beat the darkness always makes you shoot better.

-bp

-bp

August 16th, 2012, 2:29 am #7

Tarantula spring (33-34 coils of .128 wire with a .540 ID) I was able to extract 960fps with CPLs using the installed oring sealed piston cap. Years ago I even accuracy tested that gun at 30 yards with the 960fps tune and at my normal 910fps tune. EVERY 910fps group was tighter than the 960fps group. Also, when the light weight R9 velocity exceeds about 930fps the gun becomes VERY hold sensitive and the added recoil does negatively affect scope life.

LOL......when I shot a "match high" score at DIFTA recently I had my heavier HW77k detuned to shoot CPLs at only 860fps which gave a really nice shot cycle AND accuracy. At last months Maryland State Championship match I also took 1st place in hunter class even though I only hit 2 out of 12 offhand and kneeling shots by hitting over 90% of the rested shots at that match.

This gave me the idea to detune my new R9 (which I actually prefer shooting) to shoot CPLs in the 860fps range, however the lowest I could get with the oring seal and .120 wire Maccari spring was 870fps, so I went with that. I did well for the first half of the match (LOL....even hitting 50% of the offhanders) keeping up with my brother till the barrel shims of the new gun started seating in and the poi shifted due to reduced barrel pivot tension.

Anywhoo......I'm of the opinion that accuracy trumps velocity when it comes to field target.

P.S. IMHO, with a springer the higher fpe levels are better handled with heavy pellets like the 10.5 grain CPH, however the fly in the ointment is the fact that heavy pellets will reduce the spring life of R9 class springs. In the beginning my brother shot only CPHs for several years and I would replace a good aftermarket spring about every two years. He then switched to CPLs and he mentioned that he has only broken one spring since, and that spring spent a lot of it's "life" shooting CPHs.
i know you're right about that. i should just give in and get you to bring my 'ed-gun' down into the eight-hundreds.

actually, it's time to shoot it over the chrony once again, to see if it has settled down any more, then we'll talk about a little detunng

yours will likely settle down to the 860 range soon too, by itself.

i already wrote my "packing list" for the next match, so i can remember to bring the chrony for phil to take home and play with. it includes some more of that kryptonite drink with the super-powers.

stay well,

-bp

August 16th, 2012, 2:32 am #8

possible without using a coil spring fropm a hupmobile or pierce-arrow wrapped outside the barrel.

when i got it from ed c, he had it tuned pretty hot at 930FPS, and after a month or so of shooting, it settled in at about 912 (+or-)--that's where it's staying now.

with the talk of springers at 'full power,' i'm wondering just what 'full power' is for a springer.

i know that the 'magnum springers' which are advertised today are made for kids who are in the horsepower race, and i assume they sacrifice accuracy for power. they are also rated at the higher speeds when shot with lighter-weight (and generally less accurate) non-lead pellets.

it's just a curiosity thing.

anyway, for clarification, it's an r9, not an r7.

getting ready for a match early will never work. you'll just be dying to make some sort of changes the night before anyway. it's always better to sight in as the sun is going down for the count. rushing to beat the darkness always makes you shoot better.

-bp
to shoot pellets at the 20fpe level. LOL.....I do believe that even the RWS350 and a couple others can be shot in the 20fpe level. Years ago I shot a .25 cal Beeman Kodiac and that honkin gun was putting out an even 30fpe with Diana domes. Anywhoo.....20fpe springers are a reality, but I wouldn't want to shoot a light weight R9 anywhere near that power level!
Last edited by nced1 on August 16th, 2012, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2012, 2:42 am #9

i know you're right about that. i should just give in and get you to bring my 'ed-gun' down into the eight-hundreds.

actually, it's time to shoot it over the chrony once again, to see if it has settled down any more, then we'll talk about a little detunng

yours will likely settle down to the 860 range soon too, by itself.

i already wrote my "packing list" for the next match, so i can remember to bring the chrony for phil to take home and play with. it includes some more of that kryptonite drink with the super-powers.

stay well,

-bp
is so minor that it really isn't an issue, especially with the mill dot scope you have. Years ago I only used a 4-16 Bushy 4200 with the duplex reticle so I tuned the gun to shoot CPLs at 910fps because that put the poi on the tip of the bottom reticule post at 11 yards and then on again at 50 yards using a 30 yard zero. Seems to work better for me if I tune the gun to take advantage of the scope reticule rather than some theoretical velocity that flattens out the trajectory a bit.

Lower fpe does affect the wind drift some, however when I was squadded with that west coast kid "Johnny Piston", I watched him make unbelieveable shots in a wind gusting to 30mph and he was using his 12fpe TX (think it was the SR model). With hft I personally think that accuracy trumps high velocity!

p.s. I just checked Chairgun and a CPL at 910fps will drop 2.005 inches at 50 yards using a 28 yard zero.
A CPL at 850fps will drop 2.456 inches at 50 yards using a 28 yard zero.

Now the question......even though the midrange rise of the slower pellet is .04 higher than the faster pellet, does the .451 extra drop of the slower pellet at 50 yards actually matter to you?
Last edited by nced1 on August 16th, 2012, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

lhd

August 16th, 2012, 3:22 am #10

-bp
Don't USE 7.9's, they use the heavier pellets.