Hal, did I miss your "How they could have saved the Titanic" answer?

Hal, did I miss your "How they could have saved the Titanic" answer?

April 12th, 2012, 1:45 am #1

Enquiring minds want to know.

April 12th, 2012, 1:55 am #2

sunday. the day of the anniversary.

and thanks anyway for trying to find that doc.

i pulled this up quickly but, i ain't got time to look through it right now. i'll get to it a bit later and maybe find something there or somewhere else. that sounds like an interesting doc.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Titani ... s&st=0&fs=

adios

April 12th, 2012, 2:06 am #3

As I had previously stated, I will reveal my theory on Sunday, the 100th anniversary of Titanic's sinking.

Howell

April 12th, 2012, 2:30 am #4

...the glancing impact that opened up 100s of feet of hull seams and flooded too many watertight compartments for the ship to remain stable, if Titanic had hit the 'burg head-on, the collison - abeit more violent and causing greater damage - would have holed fewer compartments.

Which - so the story goes - might have been compatible with (what was left) of the ship staying afloat.

So basically Titanic might have been saved by using blind men for lookouts and therefore never seeing the ice prior to impact.

Steve

April 12th, 2012, 3:01 am #5

...and process the pros and cons and decide in just moments to proceed straight ahead... (albeit back full)

Interesting concept all and all though...When I was younger I got to spend a fair amount of time on American submarines underway, where we drilled every conceivable emergency procedure day in and day out every week of the year, and this has me thinking. The one thing we never practiced was non avoidance of collision at sea, where we would just say, you know what lets just hit that sob head on...Lol

kr,
Paul
Last edited by seawater on April 12th, 2012, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 3:18 am #6

Another captain. One who wasn't making his final voyage, IIRC, and trying for a trans-Atlantic crossing record as the crowning feather in his cap. The old boy had been warned of ice bergs well ahead of time, yet he still chose a dangerous route, steaming at high speed. Well, he got his moment of fame, didn't he?

April 12th, 2012, 3:53 am #7

It was White Star Managing Director Bruce Ismay who wanted the feather in HIS cap for a faster Atlantic crossing than the rival Cunard line, which is why he ordered all 29 of Titanic's boilers lit off, resulting in a speed of 22.5 knots or more!

Captain Smith wanted a more cautious speed, knowing Titanic was approaching ice fields.

Smith went down with the ship, while Ismay entered a lifeboat filled with women and children, thus saving his arse!

Hal
Last edited by tracer69 on April 12th, 2012, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 4:47 am #8

...and process the pros and cons and decide in just moments to proceed straight ahead... (albeit back full)

Interesting concept all and all though...When I was younger I got to spend a fair amount of time on American submarines underway, where we drilled every conceivable emergency procedure day in and day out every week of the year, and this has me thinking. The one thing we never practiced was non avoidance of collision at sea, where we would just say, you know what lets just hit that sob head on...Lol

kr,
Paul
...who chose to deliberately hit an iceburg head-on instead of doing his utmost to miss it. The White Star brass would have crucified him - assuming the (surviving) passengers and crew didn't throw him overboard first!

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on April 12th, 2012, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 3:58 pm #9

Another captain. One who wasn't making his final voyage, IIRC, and trying for a trans-Atlantic crossing record as the crowning feather in his cap. The old boy had been warned of ice bergs well ahead of time, yet he still chose a dangerous route, steaming at high speed. Well, he got his moment of fame, didn't he?
that we are all passengers on the titanic.

April 12th, 2012, 4:07 pm #10

...before we founder!

Hal