Guy trying to setup a Crosman Maximus for FT

Guy trying to setup a Crosman Maximus for FT

April 13th, 2017, 3:09 pm #1

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... ;topicseen

I hope he is successful at this. Would go along way to beating down the cost of gear, and eliminating the "price of admission" to play this great game.

April 14th, 2017, 6:12 pm #2

"Hope springs eternal." nt

April 14th, 2017, 6:43 pm #3

IIRC youve set up low buck gins for FT work,a nd did well.....

Is it his choice of gun, or you just succinct in yer cheerleading?

I hope the dude succeeds and does well. I think it'll be helpful to the sport long term.....

edit: stoopoid #$%^@(*** autocoreect...
Last edited by dan_house on April 14th, 2017, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2017, 1:29 am #4

I have to admit that it's really cool to hear "success" stories using low-price rigs (and to your point Dan, Ron has done that with vintage Crosman's, et al).

However (which I think is what Ron is alluding to), using the wrong tool for the job can lead to frustration and discouragement, which is why I do not recommend "project" guns for Field Target (E.g., a Marauder is as low I'd go on the PCP side).

HookEm

April 16th, 2017, 1:50 am #5

IIRC youve set up low buck gins for FT work,a nd did well.....

Is it his choice of gun, or you just succinct in yer cheerleading?

I hope the dude succeeds and does well. I think it'll be helpful to the sport long term.....

edit: stoopoid #$%^@(*** autocoreect...
But think I just see more inherent obstacles in the Maximus platform (for FT work) than the QB platform(s) I used. Specifically, a pencil-thin barrel that requires a barrel-band, both of which I consider MAJOR handicaps to the kind of consistent and repeatable accuracy required for field target competition.

I suppose the five-pound heft could be overcome with ballast in the plastic stock. I don't know if the trigger is akin to a Disco trigger, but if so, that's another issue to overcome.

I always saw the Crosman 160/QB platform as something of an airgun equivalent to the Winchester model 52. Guess I consider the Maximus closer to a Daisy.

I'm all about taking improbable equipment beyond any and all reasonable expectations on the fields of competition, but guess I see the Maximus for FT work as a bridge too far. That said, gotta respect anyone willing to try. I just worry that such an ambitious undertaking might prove discouraging to anyone less hard-headed (weak-minded) than myself!

April 16th, 2017, 5:14 pm #6

An extremely viable low end project is the Challenger. To ramp up the velocity beyond 10m setting really only requires enlarging the transfer port and adjusting hammer spring. With the mrod trigger and the adjustable factory stock backing up the LW barre FT demands nothing this rig can't offer. Unregulated and a 2000 psi fill will yield 50+ shots. On sale or from the classifieds one can snag a Challenger for well below some of the more conventional choices.

April 16th, 2017, 5:59 pm #7

And it sounds like a rifle equivalent to the 1720T pistol; that being a SOLID platform from which to extract world-beating potentials.

I'm often asked by pistol FT-curious newbies what pistol to get, and my reply is always, "Unless you're willing to spend over a thousand bucks, the 1720T is the ONLY choice; and it is no handicap to any air pistol at ANY price!" I've probably sold close to a dozen 1720T's for Crosman... so far!

Matter of fact I finally picked up a used 1720T for myself, drilled out the transfer port, and set it up to shoot RIFLE field target (as a pistol). Only got to use it in one rifle match before my fall from "grace", but got third place (of 6-8 Hunter rifles, as I recall). It had a two-pound trigger-break at the time, but it became (immediately) obvious that a lighter trigger was necessary to expect better results. So in spite of advice that I couldn't expect to achieve any lighter trigger from a 1720T, I monkeyed it down to a near-telepathic six-ounce break. She's now a fully Hunter Rifle capable pistol.

BTW, after drilling-out the T.P. she's getting 840 FPS/13.2 FP with 8.4 JSBs, and averages sub-3/4" groups at 50 yards. She gets 16 competition-worthy shots from a 2900 PSI charge.

April 17th, 2017, 3:03 am #8

An extremely viable low end project is the Challenger. To ramp up the velocity beyond 10m setting really only requires enlarging the transfer port and adjusting hammer spring. With the mrod trigger and the adjustable factory stock backing up the LW barre FT demands nothing this rig can't offer. Unregulated and a 2000 psi fill will yield 50+ shots. On sale or from the classifieds one can snag a Challenger for well below some of the more conventional choices.
Do you have to drill something out, or just replace the little tube between the barrel and air reservoir? Are any special tools required ?

April 17th, 2017, 3:39 pm #9

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... ;topicseen

I hope he is successful at this. Would go along way to beating down the cost of gear, and eliminating the "price of admission" to play this great game.

Leo and Ron both brought up issues that I--as a perpetual noob-- hadnt thought of

Challenger.. hmmmmm

April 17th, 2017, 4:51 pm #10

Do you have to drill something out, or just replace the little tube between the barrel and air reservoir? Are any special tools required ?
Remove the allen-head bolts holding the receiver to the tube, lift off the receiver and the transfer port is sandwiched between two rubber seals

I had ZERO experience with a 1720T and it took me all of 20 minutes to do the work. start to finish.