Green Bottle flies, 11 year old boys and an accurate .177 PCP

Green Bottle flies, 11 year old boys and an accurate .177 PCP

May 28th, 2012, 11:20 am #1

I live in the burbs and have to find my fun close to home, and in this case, at home.

I recently bought my son a CZ200 and topped it with a Leapers 3-9x40AO. Its a one hole gun.

In trying to teach him marksmanship as well as spending time together, I set up a 35' range in the backyard. I staple a couple white pieces of paper to several treated 4x4's. I smear fish guts/slime on the white paper. That odor is a calling card to all the flies in the area. As they come in to investigate, my son calls out the shot as I watch the fly disappear. I'm not sure which is more fun: shooting or watching.

Give it a try. Its great fun, its close, its cheap, and you don't have to grovel for permission.

May 29th, 2012, 4:46 am #2

A "Bug Safari", I like it. NT

May 29th, 2012, 11:37 am #3

I live in the burbs and have to find my fun close to home, and in this case, at home.

I recently bought my son a CZ200 and topped it with a Leapers 3-9x40AO. Its a one hole gun.

In trying to teach him marksmanship as well as spending time together, I set up a 35' range in the backyard. I staple a couple white pieces of paper to several treated 4x4's. I smear fish guts/slime on the white paper. That odor is a calling card to all the flies in the area. As they come in to investigate, my son calls out the shot as I watch the fly disappear. I'm not sure which is more fun: shooting or watching.

Give it a try. Its great fun, its close, its cheap, and you don't have to grovel for permission.

I'd say you probably have some rifles that will reach out there.

Ref. - Zeiss spotting scope.

Your rifle rest and bag are identical to one I've used for over 40 yrs.

Good Luck, I wish you and your son well.
My son had similar opportunities at that age, but never had any interest.

Later,
Dwight

May 29th, 2012, 5:37 pm #4

Cheap, too!
Last edited by 1968TR on May 29th, 2012, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2012, 5:39 pm #5

I'd say you probably have some rifles that will reach out there.

Ref. - Zeiss spotting scope.

Your rifle rest and bag are identical to one I've used for over 40 yrs.

Good Luck, I wish you and your son well.
My son had similar opportunities at that age, but never had any interest.

Later,
Dwight
Hi Dwight,
Thank you for your nice comments. Yes, I do have some powder burners that are capable of 1,000 yard fun, but I find the close, quiet stuff way more relaxing and way more convenient. Its still about trigger squeeze and sight picture and all that stuff. And since my son enjoys this more than the loud BOOM, then air rifles it is....for now.
Its also nice that as there is an inexhaustible supply of flies during the summer, you never run out of targets.

May 30th, 2012, 3:40 am #6

Where did you happen to get that gun? On the site is says discontinued

How much did it cost?

Thanks!

June 13th, 2012, 5:35 am #7

I have an AA S200 (check pyramydair for price) with a custom stock, which is essentially the same rifle. This rifle can be VERY quiet with an LDC.