Good starter pistol?

Good starter pistol?

March 3rd, 2012, 11:10 pm #1

Hi-
I am looking to get into pistol shooting and was wondering what a good starter pistol is. I'm only 14 so it can't be too hard to pump or too heavy- I already have one gun that is too heavy! It would be good for it to be under 90 dollars. Single pump is preferred. I two I saw were the Ruger Mk1 at airgundepot and the P17 at pyramid. Are these decent guns? I heard the P17 is pretty good but is hard to cock. [Removed by moderator]
Thanks,
Liam

Moderator Note: Welcome aboard Liam. I'd like to inform you we do not allow posters to ask if private individuals are selling anything on the main Yellow forum, please direct "want to buy" posts to the classifieds forum. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
Last edited by itsmekeoni on March 3rd, 2012, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2012, 12:10 am #2

You can't go wrong with the P-17 Liam. Cocking is not that difficult and gets easier as you break the gun in.

March 4th, 2012, 1:59 am #3

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

March 4th, 2012, 2:20 am #4

Hi-
I am looking to get into pistol shooting and was wondering what a good starter pistol is. I'm only 14 so it can't be too hard to pump or too heavy- I already have one gun that is too heavy! It would be good for it to be under 90 dollars. Single pump is preferred. I two I saw were the Ruger Mk1 at airgundepot and the P17 at pyramid. Are these decent guns? I heard the P17 is pretty good but is hard to cock. [Removed by moderator]
Thanks,
Liam

Moderator Note: Welcome aboard Liam. I'd like to inform you we do not allow posters to ask if private individuals are selling anything on the main Yellow forum, please direct "want to buy" posts to the classifieds forum. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
Hey Liam! Go for the P17 for sure. It's just a much better pistol. I have a Mk1 and it's not a good one for learning. The trigger is pretty bad and will make you pick up bad habits. It's a bit on the rough side in terms of quality too. It's more for tossing in a backpack and doing some plinking kind of gun.

March 4th, 2012, 3:27 pm #5

Hi-
Thanks,
Liam

Liam, I am at the opposite end of the age range. I am a small guy, 68 years old, and have a P17. The P17 is one of my my favorite shooters. Quite accurate at the normal 10M target shooting distance. I also have an HW40, HW75, FAS604 and an IZH-46M that I am comparing the P17 against.

You can't go wrong with the little guy

Mike

March 5th, 2012, 4:34 am #6

Hi-
Thanks,
Liam

nt