gonna find out about 56mm scope vs 40mm

gonna find out about 56mm scope vs 40mm

-bp

November 3rd, 2010, 4:54 pm #1

the long-suffering mrs. -bp has told me that my new leapers 4-16x56AO scope has arrived. i am at work, but i'm beginning to feel a headache or the flu or scarlet fever or hobi-hobi coming on. it will take all day tomorrow to sight it in at various distances for saturday's DIFTA shoot.

i know that a 56mm objective will give me shallower depth of field (focus) than a 40mm objective, and i'm hoping that difference is enough to make rangefinding easier and more definitive at 40yards and beyond.

i also got the sidewheel and the one-piece mount, so we'll be eating pasta for a while

if there's anything substantial to report, i'll be sure to post it

-bp

November 4th, 2010, 4:02 am #2

how about posting a couple of pics of your B-26.I own 5 of them.Best deal out there.

November 4th, 2010, 1:45 pm #3

the long-suffering mrs. -bp has told me that my new leapers 4-16x56AO scope has arrived. i am at work, but i'm beginning to feel a headache or the flu or scarlet fever or hobi-hobi coming on. it will take all day tomorrow to sight it in at various distances for saturday's DIFTA shoot.

i know that a 56mm objective will give me shallower depth of field (focus) than a 40mm objective, and i'm hoping that difference is enough to make rangefinding easier and more definitive at 40yards and beyond.

i also got the sidewheel and the one-piece mount, so we'll be eating pasta for a while

if there's anything substantial to report, i'll be sure to post it

-bp
Keep in mind that you're also going to need a set of high scope mounts and that all your "mill dot holdover/under" will need to be adjusted (if you're not usin' high mounts already).

-bp

November 4th, 2010, 3:41 pm #4

it was SUPPOSED to stop raining around noon

looks as if i'm gonna be shooting from the porch or under a tent!

see you saturday

-bp

-bp

November 4th, 2010, 7:35 pm #5

how about posting a couple of pics of your B-26.I own 5 of them.Best deal out there.
but it does have a little yellow level-vial glued to the back of the action.

now it looks like mount palomar with that 56mm scope

i was out in the rain sighting in for various distances from 10-55 yards today, since i changed to a high mount.

there's still not much difference between 50 and 55 yards, but the others are a little easier. i wonder if they make a nice four-inch schmidt-cassegrain reflector scope with mildots and AO?

for anyone curious, this leapers/UTG scope (4-16x56AO,IR,mildot) is really nice, sharp, bright, and cost me $208 with wheel, one-piece mount, and shipping from PA. the crosshairs are particularly fine compared to others, and it has six dots on each side of the crosshairs, plus points, giving you 15 holdover points in each direction.

-bp

November 5th, 2010, 12:11 am #6

it was SUPPOSED to stop raining around noon

looks as if i'm gonna be shooting from the porch or under a tent!

see you saturday

-bp
on your opinion of the leapers. I'd be interested in how you think it performed. By your description it has markings in between the mildots? I'm looking for a scope with more aim points then my legend. Good luck at the match.

Jerry L.

-bp

November 5th, 2010, 2:29 pm #7

more mildots than any other scope

very short 'heavy' lines at the bottom and on the sides, with a sharp point at the end of them, then an open space between there and the first mildot

then six mildots, the crosshairs, and six more mildots -- in each direction

and there are very fine crosshairs running through the mildots

like this in both directions:

</u> . . . . . .+. . . . . . <u>

-bp

-bp

November 5th, 2010, 2:36 pm #8

on your opinion of the leapers. I'd be interested in how you think it performed. By your description it has markings in between the mildots? I'm looking for a scope with more aim points then my legend. Good luck at the match.

Jerry L.
it was not comfortable but i was on the porch and out of the rain for all but the setting of the targets, which went limp on me...

focus for rangefinding is good until 45 yards, then it becomes very subjective to your eye and how cold and wet you are and how much you'd like to be back inside...

there is some difference in focus from 45-50-55 yards, but not a lot. certainly more than on my 40mm scope, which has almost no difference between those distances

the scope is bright and sharp at 12x, and even at 16x which i can't use in hunter class anyway

the crosshairs are much finer than those in the centerpoint, but same number of dots (six in each direction from the center crosshairs, giving 15 holdover points in windage and elevation, counting the points on the heavy lines at the edges.

the leapers high one-piece mount is good ($14.97), and so is their wheel ($14.97)

all in all, i'm happy with it

-bp

-bp

November 6th, 2010, 11:30 pm #9

Jerry L.
with only a 34, and only because ed canoles' gun malfunctioned after just a few lanes. he ended up using mine, and didn't catch on to my way of noting the holdover until after a couple of lanes.

he doesn't know that i put sand down his barrel when he wasn't looking.

the scope really does snap into focus nicely. i think it's as good a rangefinder as a person could use in hunter class

-bp