GOB Writeup

GOB Writeup

June 13th, 2012, 4:02 pm #1

2012 GOOD OLE BOYS MATCH WRITEUP
by Roz Sumpter

We of the GOB match committee congratulate all of this years trophy winners and offer our sincere thanks and appreciation to all in attendance who took the time and suffered the expense to join us here for our twelfth annual GOB match. It turned out to be another enjoyable annual event ending a very good twelve year run.
Prior to embarking on this write-up, I looked at all of the comments already posted on the Green FT forum. I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of what I intended to say had already been commented on. Pat OBrien in particular described the weather conditions perfectly. I should add there were periodic gusty winds at lanes #14 and #15 on the Red course. This played havoc with some very fine shooters such as Ken Hughes. In fact, prior to start of competition Ken suggested that I place a wind flag in that area to aid our shooting efforts. This I did do. However, a weather gremlin saw fit to remove it prior to Kens arrival at these lanes.
Being increasingly affected with old-timers mental disorder, some forgetfulness on my part caused some hectic running around at the very start of our first day of competition. Fortunately it seems I was the only one it had a negative affect on, as it should be. Other than that, I believe the only other glitches were a few broken strings, causing very brief delays. We were pleased there were no target malfunctions so no need for aggravating score adjustments.
Only two shoot offs were required to determine winning positions. Doug Vinson and Ken Hughes (WFTF-PCP) along with David Alsup and Harold Rushton (Open-PCP) faced some extremely challenging targets. Ken and Harold eventually prevailed, while we onlookers were treated to a true display of shooting skills.
We all ate sumptuously at the end of each round of competition, then continued with good fellowship at organized evening meals in local restaurants.
Though we realize that all things must end at some point in time, its sobering never the less when it happens. An involuntary end usually hurts the most, so I prefer having a choice when possible. The little voice inside me, along with the new ones Ive become acquainted with in the medical profession, have garnered my full attention. They do not say panic stop, but they do say ease back on the throttle.
Going forward, I intend to continue our monthly program here at GOB, along with possible one day annual events. Lord willing, this might last for several years to come. However, our annual two day GOB Championship matches will no longer be held. Ive thoroughly enjoyed contributing to the sport of Field Target shooting, with hope it survives far beyond me. But most of all Ive enjoyed the many people I would not have otherwise met but for this game.
How does a person measure the value of his existence? I say add value to the lives of others and rejoice when they add value to yours.
Let us all continue in the true spirit of this game and enjoy the music while it plays! Ill see you on the circuit. Best wishes to all!
Roz

June 13th, 2012, 4:22 pm #2

June 13th, 2012, 4:28 pm #3

by Roz Sumpter

We of the GOB match committee congratulate all of this years trophy winners and offer our sincere thanks and appreciation to all in attendance who took the time and suffered the expense to join us here for our twelfth annual GOB match. It turned out to be another enjoyable annual event ending a very good twelve year run.
Prior to embarking on this write-up, I looked at all of the comments already posted on the Green FT forum. I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of what I intended to say had already been commented on. Pat OBrien in particular described the weather conditions perfectly. I should add there were periodic gusty winds at lanes #14 and #15 on the Red course. This played havoc with some very fine shooters such as Ken Hughes. In fact, prior to start of competition Ken suggested that I place a wind flag in that area to aid our shooting efforts. This I did do. However, a weather gremlin saw fit to remove it prior to Kens arrival at these lanes.
Being increasingly affected with old-timers mental disorder, some forgetfulness on my part caused some hectic running around at the very start of our first day of competition. Fortunately it seems I was the only one it had a negative affect on, as it should be. Other than that, I believe the only other glitches were a few broken strings, causing very brief delays. We were pleased there were no target malfunctions so no need for aggravating score adjustments.
Only two shoot offs were required to determine winning positions. Doug Vinson and Ken Hughes (WFTF-PCP) along with David Alsup and Harold Rushton (Open-PCP) faced some extremely challenging targets. Ken and Harold eventually prevailed, while we onlookers were treated to a true display of shooting skills.
We all ate sumptuously at the end of each round of competition, then continued with good fellowship at organized evening meals in local restaurants.
Though we realize that all things must end at some point in time, its sobering never the less when it happens. An involuntary end usually hurts the most, so I prefer having a choice when possible. The little voice inside me, along with the new ones Ive become acquainted with in the medical profession, have garnered my full attention. They do not say panic stop, but they do say ease back on the throttle.
Going forward, I intend to continue our monthly program here at GOB, along with possible one day annual events. Lord willing, this might last for several years to come. However, our annual two day GOB Championship matches will no longer be held. Ive thoroughly enjoyed contributing to the sport of Field Target shooting, with hope it survives far beyond me. But most of all Ive enjoyed the many people I would not have otherwise met but for this game.
How does a person measure the value of his existence? I say add value to the lives of others and rejoice when they add value to yours.
Let us all continue in the true spirit of this game and enjoy the music while it plays! Ill see you on the circuit. Best wishes to all!
Roz
Being as new to the sport as I am and only participating in two events at your place, I have come to really appreciate the time, effort and dedication you have put forth for the sport. Thanks Roz. Hands down the most beautiful venue I've shot a match. Do what you need to do Roz- throttle back- cool the jets and take care. See you soon and thanks for having me.

June 13th, 2012, 5:11 pm #4

by Roz Sumpter

Roz
You've been a gracious host and have some outstanding events there so Thank You for everything. Take care.

Kevin

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr></table>
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org

June 13th, 2012, 6:52 pm #5

by Roz Sumpter

Roz
The spirit, comraderie and selfless generosity of my (many) field-target heroes. Hate to hear of the understandable change in the GOB championships, but look forward to sharing many more memorable FT experiences with you for a long, long time. Suffice to say GOB 2012 rates at the top of my life experiences. Sincerest apologies (especially to R.R.) for any aggravation I might have caused. Love you guys!

June 13th, 2012, 7:14 pm #6

by Roz Sumpter

Roz
shooting at the GOB's is definitely one of those "must do before you kick the bucket" type of thing.

Keep well!

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

lhd

June 13th, 2012, 8:01 pm #7

by Roz Sumpter

Roz
I was fortunate enough to have attended one of your fine matches a few years ago, and it was a lifetime experience! It was at the AAFTA World Championships, and to say it was fantastic is still an understatement. Your fine hospitality and incredible acumen in organizing and production of your events was legendary, but to find those legends were actually understated was mind-boggling.

Those of us that have hosted matches on our own private property know and appreciate the tremendous effort and drain on resources more so than attendees or MDS using public facilities for sure. And I can thus emphasize with your decision.

The Field Target community is lessened by the loss of your great two day-matches, but hopefully, others will step up and take up the slack.

June 13th, 2012, 8:20 pm #8

by Roz Sumpter

Roz
You are a very kind and generous gentleman, and it's been a real treat to be able to shoot with the GOB's.

And I can't thank you enough for selling me that fine MK1 TX. You could have made well over twice what you sold it to me for, but you didn't, you helped me get what I needed to play the game. I'll never forget it sir!

I hope to see you at many future matches, when you can relax and just shoot!

Vines

June 13th, 2012, 10:03 pm #9

by Roz Sumpter

Roz
are so wonderful. It's now time to relax a bit from match director stress. 12 years is a long time. Thank you for all the great times. Wishing you all the best. Hope to see you and Cliff and G.O.Boys soon.
I can remember when you planted little trees on your long diveway. Now they are huge. Your property is heavenly and you got it the ol' fashion way...you earned it.
I especially remember the meal blessings and prayers for a safe shoot that Roz states so eloquently.
Don

June 14th, 2012, 5:23 pm #10

by Roz Sumpter

Roz
I feel Blessed to have met such a fine Man as Roz. He has not only conributed so much hard work but has shared His Beautiful place for Us to enjoy.
I hope to be able to continue to shoot in the monthly matches for as long as they last. Roz You are indeed a Good Ole Boy You have My Thanks. Gary W. Law