Go SpaceX!!!

Go SpaceX!!!

May 22nd, 2012, 9:40 am #1

Just got a text from a friend at SpaceX. Boy are they happy (and relieved) that their rocket launched...

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/sp ... -9-rocket/

A successfull mission will mean a lot not only to the company, but eventually may lead to a bit of an economic boost (especially here in SoCal) in general. Literally 1000's of new jobs, both directly and indirectly related to the aerospace industry, could potentially be created if SpaceX continues to meet milestones set by NASA.

And it sure would be nice if we didn't have to rely on other countries' spacecraft to do what our own could be accomplishing.

May 22nd, 2012, 1:41 pm #2

Looks like the private companies are using the small pods on top of rockets.
Must be the least expensive way to transport.

I wonder what Burt Rutan is working on now, and exactly where they are as far as space exploration goes?.

boo

May 22nd, 2012, 4:48 pm #3

<p>sent up there.</p><p>Is this the outfit that also owns Tesla electric cars...I saw a special on him,he is a man of great vision and passion,I hope he  and his companies are successful in all of their quests.</p>

May 22nd, 2012, 8:21 pm #4

He was a pretty nice guy. Someone down the road from me owns one of those little Tesla sports coupes. I thought it was a Lotus. Tag reads "NoCO24ME" or something like that.

May 22nd, 2012, 11:05 pm #5

<p>sent up there.</p><p>Is this the outfit that also owns Tesla electric cars...I saw a special on him,he is a man of great vision and passion,I hope he  and his companies are successful in all of their quests.</p>
Their founder, Elon Musk, is worth about $2 Billion.

Former US Astronauts are criticizing the company for its mediocrity in efforts to put people in space.

Haywire

May 23rd, 2012, 9:23 am #6

One of Musk's stated goals in starting the company (along with cutting the cost of US space missions to ~10% of what they have historically) was to put people on other planets.

SpaceX has only been around for ten years. Ask any of those former astronauts if they'd volunteer to strap their Grandkids into one of the test rockets, lol.

May 23rd, 2012, 3:08 pm #7

Astronauts were trash talking the company on camera. Musk called them his heroes and was even a little teary eyed when asked what he thought of their criticism. Hopefully, it will compel him to engineer and install the quality and redundancy needed to support warm bodies in space.

Haywire