Gen two AirMax pistol came today...

Gen two AirMax pistol came today...

May 17th, 2017, 1:15 am #1

I will check it out tomorrow, got home too late today. It looks nice, I like the iron sights. The original is great, I can hardly wait to try this one.

May 17th, 2017, 1:57 am #2

looking forward to hearing all about these new ones. hope they made the breech seal better.

May 17th, 2017, 5:00 am #3

I will check it out tomorrow, got home too late today. It looks nice, I like the iron sights. The original is great, I can hardly wait to try this one.
Mine came in today as well.

Be aware the gun is NOT adjusted for shooting, it comes from the factory assembled, but you are going to set the HST pretension, as well as the first and second trigger stages, transfer port adjustment, and any regulator changes you might want to make.

The instructions for the gun do not contain enough information to complete these tasks. Here is a video showing how to remove the handle, and adjust the pretension, as well as show you where the adjustment hex screws are for the first and second stage trigger adjustments.

Here's a good Youtube.com video with some important part identifications/locations and some detailed adjustment pointers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRp5OWaT_E

What is badly needed is an exploded diagram, in English, explaining where the parts go, and what they are for. The owner's manual is for beginners only, and has no adjustment details.

The second stage of my gun was completely out of adjustment to the point that the hammer wouldn't cock. Not to worry...the second stage adjustment will engage the sear and the gun can then be cocked.

You might as well leave the handle off at first because you can't adjust the HST pre-load with it on. Once you have your power where you want it, the Transfer Port adjustment screw is at the top of the breech and easily reached.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and try to post more info regarding FPS/FPE. First impression...for a Chinese gun, some serious thought went into the design and the features are very very nice and well built for a gun in this price range. This can't be said for the near useless owner's manual. Check Youtube.com for a bit more info...the gun is listed as SPA, AirMax and a number of other monikers.

Suggestion...some of the earlier owners might pitch in and fill in some of the information "How To" voids for us new owners.

As of tonight, I am very impressed with the hardware! Nice balance, nice "feel" and lots of adjustments to get it where you want for power and shot count.
Last edited by Hepotter on May 17th, 2017, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 17th, 2017, 10:16 am #4

............ for your words of caution and instruction.

My gun arrived yesterday as well, in the same condition as you describe. I own the first generation model as well, and I truely love this gun. But, as you said, it arrived un-shootable, and potentially unsafe, should someone load it and then cock the hammer with the pistol pointed toward something you did not mean to shoot.

Making it work as one desires is simple and very rewarding. So glad that Mrod-Air has made these available to us.

Frank

May 17th, 2017, 12:27 pm #5

And did you receive any tracking info. or updated order status?

May 17th, 2017, 1:18 pm #6

I received notification from UPS, but I am subsribed to the UPS service which always alerts me to an expected shipment. I do not believe that the notification was initiated by the shipper, but I may be mistaken.

Frnak

May 17th, 2017, 2:04 pm #7

I received my Mkii .177 yesterday by ups well packaged haven't had time to shoot yet

May 17th, 2017, 2:57 pm #8

Mine came in today as well.

Be aware the gun is NOT adjusted for shooting, it comes from the factory assembled, but you are going to set the HST pretension, as well as the first and second trigger stages, transfer port adjustment, and any regulator changes you might want to make.

The instructions for the gun do not contain enough information to complete these tasks. Here is a video showing how to remove the handle, and adjust the pretension, as well as show you where the adjustment hex screws are for the first and second stage trigger adjustments.

Here's a good Youtube.com video with some important part identifications/locations and some detailed adjustment pointers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRp5OWaT_E

What is badly needed is an exploded diagram, in English, explaining where the parts go, and what they are for. The owner's manual is for beginners only, and has no adjustment details.

The second stage of my gun was completely out of adjustment to the point that the hammer wouldn't cock. Not to worry...the second stage adjustment will engage the sear and the gun can then be cocked.

You might as well leave the handle off at first because you can't adjust the HST pre-load with it on. Once you have your power where you want it, the Transfer Port adjustment screw is at the top of the breech and easily reached.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and try to post more info regarding FPS/FPE. First impression...for a Chinese gun, some serious thought went into the design and the features are very very nice and well built for a gun in this price range. This can't be said for the near useless owner's manual. Check Youtube.com for a bit more info...the gun is listed as SPA, AirMax and a number of other monikers.

Suggestion...some of the earlier owners might pitch in and fill in some of the information "How To" voids for us new owners.

As of tonight, I am very impressed with the hardware! Nice balance, nice "feel" and lots of adjustments to get it where you want for power and shot count.
I'm gonna play with it just as soon as I knock off a couple of "honey do" items.

May 17th, 2017, 3:27 pm #9

Be aware the second stage trigger can be set to downright dangerously light settings. Use caution, and when you get it where you want it, slap the sides of the gun while it is cocked/unloaded to see if it will accidentally discharge if bumped or dropped.

The sound modification system for this pistol is quite effective, neighbor friendly with just four (4) sections. To install, you need to take the front barrel bushing out...this is the piece in the muzzle with the little holes around it's edge. I used two nails and a screwdriver to break it loose. Once out, you place it in the last baffle chamber, the one with the shiny silver beveled end. Then you simply screw it back onto the barrel. Be aware the barrel can be unscrewed and removed. AND...and...when you screw it back in, it won't come to a complete halt/stop. The barrel breech end screws into a movable bushing that will rotate once the barrel is fully seated. Personally, I'd like to get a grub screw in the top of the breech and lock that barrel down solid...but this system seems to work.

There is zero breech blowback! I put a Kleenex on top of the breech and fired the gun...no air movement whatsoever!

I'll take some pics....

I can't help but believe this is a mini-carbine waiting for the right stock to attach to the handle.

When removing the handle, you must also remove the two "spacers" next to the hammer. Easily done. and they seem to serve no purpose other than guide the hammer to the firing pin. there is one on each side of the hammer. They simply drop out when the hex screw is removed.

This is the muzzle barrel bushing that is removed, placed in the last section of the moderator system, then screwed back onto the barrel.

There are no picatinny rails on the AirMax, it uses the 11mm type. Before I receive my picatinny/11mm adapter, I'm just using sticky tape to hold on my red dot.

More useful info: (Be aware the hex nut inside the grip IS NOT the HST adjustment screw. This hex nut only removes the grip to expose the HST adjustment nut, readily recognized by the spring it's holding)

When adjusting the HST spring, after removing the grip, unscrew the hammer spring nut until the hammer is not touching the firing pin. Then carefully tighten the nut until the hammer just touches the firing pin, then go 1/2 turn tighter. Stop there and test for results. It's cloudy out today, so my chrony isn't working...but it humanely put down a squirrel this morning at my bird feeder! This thing has some serious punch to it!!!

More later....

Chrony results with HST adjusted 1/2 turn in from start....JSB 18 gr 5.5mm fit best, and tested at 525 fps. The Crosman Destroyers 14 gr pellets had to be pushed into the chamber with a heavy thumb, or the breech wouldn't close. These pellets were going 575 fps. Then the clouds got too dark for the chrony to register and I stopped there.

I believe I will tighten the HST nut a few turns and get the fps at least into the 600 fps range...plenty for pistol shooting distances.s Hmmmm....tightened up the HST nut and velocity dropped to 512 fps???
However, I did previously open up the Transfer Port, which is located in the top of the sliding breech block. Just back the hex screw out until it is even with the top of the breech. Pretty simple.

More later...
Last edited by Hepotter on May 17th, 2017, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 17th, 2017, 5:27 pm #10

Now I'm even more eagerly anticipating it than before. I almost cried when the UPS truck drove up only to find out it was for a different package... Maybe tomorrow with any luck.