Gap between breech and tube on new Discovery

Gap between breech and tube on new Discovery

April 3rd, 2013, 11:23 pm #1

I just received a replacement Discovery from Crosman, the previous one had serious POI problems. Crosman just sent me a new one. While going over it I noticed a gap between the breech and the tube. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, if it shoots fine should I just leave it be? Or could the gap cause problems down the road? The gap is pretty big, from the front of the breech all the way back to the transfer port is a gap. What do you think? I am thinking, send it back and get another one.
Last edited by ScottB75 on April 3rd, 2013, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2013, 1:31 am #2

don't shoot it! you'll just have a massive air leak.

Know guns, Know peace, know liberty.
No guns, no peace no liberty.

April 4th, 2013, 1:57 am #3

I just received a replacement Discovery from Crosman, the previous one had serious POI problems. Crosman just sent me a new one. While going over it I noticed a gap between the breech and the tube. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, if it shoots fine should I just leave it be? Or could the gap cause problems down the road? The gap is pretty big, from the front of the breech all the way back to the transfer port is a gap. What do you think? I am thinking, send it back and get another one.
is the usual, not the exception. Don't go crazy on the breech screw, use a clamp to compress the breech to the tube, then GENTLY tighten the 4/48 screw. I doubt it will do any good. If you do a search you will see the best fix is to add a second barrel band right in front of the breech to hold it down and stabilize it.

April 4th, 2013, 3:45 am #4

Use that to force the breech to a nice tight fit then just simply snug up that little breech screw. No need to put a whole bunch of torque on that screw. Once that bar clamp is released that screw will be plenty tight.

If you can not compress it tight with a bar clamp then there is something wrong with the port.

April 4th, 2013, 3:12 pm #5

It looks like the transfer port is too long (common problem) with the Discoverys. I just carefully stoned my TP a little shorter,and it fit well. It also stopped the POI shift problems. Be sure to use a clamp on the breech,and don't over tighten the screw.

April 4th, 2013, 6:50 pm #6

is the usual, not the exception. Don't go crazy on the breech screw, use a clamp to compress the breech to the tube, then GENTLY tighten the 4/48 screw. I doubt it will do any good. If you do a search you will see the best fix is to add a second barrel band right in front of the breech to hold it down and stabilize it.
That's what I ended up doing and it works really well.

April 4th, 2013, 7:57 pm #7

It looks like the transfer port is too long (common problem) with the Discoverys. I just carefully stoned my TP a little shorter,and it fit well. It also stopped the POI shift problems. Be sure to use a clamp on the breech,and don't over tighten the screw.
Would you describe the process- do you stone the tapered top or the flat bottom of the transfer port?
Thanks,
John

April 4th, 2013, 11:18 pm #8

I clamped down the breech and tightened the breech screw. The gap is still there. We'll see how it does when I get a chance to shoot it. Probably this weekend. If the accuracy is good I'll probably leave it be, if it isn't, I'll look and see if the transfer port seal is a little too long.
How many of you have this same problem with your Discovery?

April 5th, 2013, 12:17 am #9

remove it and tighten down the breech. if it closes the gap than the TP is too long. if it doesnt, than thats the way it is and nothing you can do about it. not a defect, just the way it fits. now trying to remove some of the TOP of the metal TP might cause it to leak if just the right amount is not removed. Not sure if its worth trying to remove any.
now if removing the TP closes the gap than dont use the metal/stock TP. find some 1/4" ice maker tube, ( ya need some email me your address , I'll send ya a piece) cut it the length of the oem TP , install and tighten down the breech. if you find out it doesnt tighten down enough its easier to remove some of the plastic than the metal oem TP. Now you should gain some fps from the larger size of the ice tube. I have replaced all my stock TP with the ice maker tube, all but my Prod.
Now as far as using a clamp to tighten the breech screw, I never have used one with the ice tube. I dont have super human strength but you should be able to squeeze it closed enough to tighten it down, the clamp is used by some cause they think they need to tighten it down tighter than tight LOL.

Buster
\\\ X ////
one step closer to the ultimate goal

April 5th, 2013, 2:44 am #10

When I removed the transfer port and attached the breech,the breech fit on top of the tube tight without any gap. I do believe that the transfer port is just a bit too long. I might just try the 1/4" tubing.
Last edited by ScottB75 on April 5th, 2013, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.