GAMO springer lockup

GAMO springer lockup

September 7th, 2011, 12:39 am #1

I dont have other GAMO's for reference, but my Shadow in .22 has a pretty loose lockup. Its not laterally loose or droopy loose from a shooting perspective, but the lockup isn't real tight, as in there's no way you can use a barrel band stud for sling purposes, as its easy to knock it off. Which is too bad because I'd like to try hunting with it instead of shooting paper around the house. Almost all other springer's I've handled have a lockup that is much tighter, even enough to sling it for carry. Is this just my Shadow or a GAMO thing? and what can I do about tightening it up?
Last edited by plinkgophers on September 7th, 2011, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 8th, 2011, 7:28 pm #2

IIRC, these are held in by a spring powered ball. You might apply a couple of drops of oil to the ball and let it get back to the spring behind it Take care not to let it get into the breech/compression chamber. Is this a Shadow 1000 in .22?

September 9th, 2011, 6:17 am #3

and it's lubed and moves ok, maybe the spring behind isn't strong enough? It locks up, but its just easy to knock off with not too muh pressure on the barrel. I dont know if the pivot pin could be tighter in movement, once the detent is free the barrel pivots pretty easily.

Its a GAMO Shadow 1000 in .22

September 14th, 2011, 11:26 am #4

I dont have other GAMO's for reference, but my Shadow in .22 has a pretty loose lockup. Its not laterally loose or droopy loose from a shooting perspective, but the lockup isn't real tight, as in there's no way you can use a barrel band stud for sling purposes, as its easy to knock it off. Which is too bad because I'd like to try hunting with it instead of shooting paper around the house. Almost all other springer's I've handled have a lockup that is much tighter, even enough to sling it for carry. Is this just my Shadow or a GAMO thing? and what can I do about tightening it up?
My Socom's is loose as well. I can open the lock with my pinky pushing the silencer..
Only way to strengthen it I can think of is a heavier spring. Or a second 1. Anyway, more springload.

September 15th, 2011, 7:32 pm #5

always been able to break the barrel just by shaking the gun.

so with all due respect, the suggestions that it needs to be cleaned doesnt make sense to me. The chisel or the lock bolt does not seem worn to me in any way, its still lubed.

Now I am trying to find someone to help me get the barrel off the pivot block, so I can get at that spring, and replace that with a much harder spring. Hopefully that will do the trick.

October 9th, 2011, 3:48 am #6

and whatever it locks behind ( a cross pin?) it it even? Smoothing the surfaces, and maybe changing the angle to a "pointier" wedge should help lockup.