Gamo Recon seal tear

Gamo Recon seal tear

October 28th, 2006, 10:58 pm #1

I just picked up the Gamo Recon (my first airgun) yesterday at a local (OKC) Academy. I spent a few hours checking out reviews and doing alot of reading here, and for my 'needs' (backyard target practice for me and the kids), I saw no need for anything like 1000 fps. The smaller size is a little large for my smaller 8 y/o and a little small for the 14 y/o - but we're still having fun with it (and Dad now wants a REAL airgun).

First a few comments about the gun...

1- It's alot of fun (just ask my 8 and 14 year old)
2- the scope that came with it never would sight in (I took 1-2 hours messing around with it to figure this out)
3- I'm still on my first tin of Gamo match pellets, but 250 pellets won't last long (does this little plinker really need 500-1000 shots to break it in?)
4- Three 50# sacks of sand from Lowe's works much quiter than a sheet of plywood for a backstop
5- Daisy's MaxView electronic sight seems to work pretty well for us 'beginners'
6- 1" orange dots are a pain at 10m and alot of fun at 5m

okay... enough introduction

I discovered about 2/3rds of the way thru my tin this afternoon that the seal was torn. This is what looks like a little rubber grommet that is on the chamber side of the pellet (behind the pellet). A small portion (about 1/3) of the rubber was torn down and hanging by a tiny amount. I was a little concerned about it, and tore it off.

Okay - so now ... sometimes it won't hit anywhere near where I'm aiming. I'm going to try resighting in at 5m and see how often it does this.

Also - I didn't expect this little gun to diesel, but my son noticed a tiny amount of smoke coming out of the barrel each time we reloaded it this morning. I don't know if this is just hot oil visible in the bright sun light - or 'smoke' from true dieseling.

My questions ... is a small tear going to matter that much? Should I just take a razor to the entire seal to trim it flat with the metal around it? Is there a quick and easy replacement for this? Can I replace this with a regular plumbing seal? Do I need to return this to Academy or send it in to Gamo for repair (this is day 2 ... and I'm just getting warmed up - so I'd really miss this little plinker).

Enough words... (I'm going to go plink some more)

Thanks for any comments and help you can offer.
Daniel in OKC

October 28th, 2006, 11:41 pm #2

i know that it will take around 700+ shots to break in....and that the scope with it is prolly not gunna work for ya...i recomend a powerline 3*9*32 scope from wally world,i bought one today that was on sale for 5$,they are usually around 28.37$

'Cuz we'll put a boot in your ass
It's the American way.~Toby keith~

HAPPY HUNTING.....tmbrwlf_93@yahoo.com

October 29th, 2006, 12:28 am #3

Thanks - I need to get more pellets. It didn't take long to burn thru that first 250. I reduced my range to 5m and worked on getting it sighted back in. I can't say whether or not the Recon is affected by the seal. I'm not able to get all my shots inside the 1" dot from 5m - so I don't know if that's my fault or the Recon's ... time will tell.

The disadvantage of the red dot Wide View from Daisy is that the red dot pretty much covers the little 1" orange dots at 10m, but their easily centered with the red dot at 5m. Otherwise, it's handy for quick sightning in.

I'll check WM to see if they have that scope you mentioned... that and a few more tins of pellets and maybe some actual scoring targets. I don't know if I should continue using the Match grade pellets for breaking in the Gamo, or if I should just pick up a few tins of less expensive pellets for now.

Thanks for you input...

Daniel in OKC
Last edited by dmrey73 on October 29th, 2006, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 29th, 2006, 1:22 am #4

I just picked up the Gamo Recon (my first airgun) yesterday at a local (OKC) Academy. I spent a few hours checking out reviews and doing alot of reading here, and for my 'needs' (backyard target practice for me and the kids), I saw no need for anything like 1000 fps. The smaller size is a little large for my smaller 8 y/o and a little small for the 14 y/o - but we're still having fun with it (and Dad now wants a REAL airgun).

2- the scope that came with it never would sight in (I took 1-2 hours messing around with it to figure this out)
3- I'm still on my first tin of Gamo match pellets, but 250 pellets won't last long (does this little plinker really need 500-1000 shots to break it in?)
4- Three 50# sacks of sand from Lowe's works much quiter than a sheet of plywood for a backstop
5- Daisy's MaxView electronic sight seems to work pretty well for us 'beginners'

I discovered about 2/3rds of the way thru my tin this afternoon that the seal was torn. This is what looks like a little rubber grommet that is on the chamber side of the pellet (behind the pellet). A small portion (about 1/3) of the rubber was torn down and hanging by a tiny amount. I was a little concerned about it, and tore it off.

Okay - so now ... sometimes it won't hit anywhere near where I'm aiming. I'm going to try resighting in at 5m and see how often it does this.

Also - I didn't expect this little gun to diesel, but my son noticed a tiny amount of smoke coming out of the barrel each time we reloaded it this morning. I don't know if this is just hot oil visible in the bright sun light - or 'smoke' from true dieseling.

My questions ... is a small tear going to matter that much? Should I just take a razor to the entire seal to trim it flat with the metal around it? Is there a quick and easy replacement for this? Can I replace this with a regular plumbing seal? Do I need to return this to Academy or send it in to Gamo for repair (this is day 2 ... and I'm just getting warmed up - so I'd really miss this little plinker).

Daniel in OKC
or so shots. Have fun.

October 29th, 2006, 1:27 am #5

nt

October 29th, 2006, 3:04 am #6

Thanks - I need to get more pellets. It didn't take long to burn thru that first 250. I reduced my range to 5m and worked on getting it sighted back in. I can't say whether or not the Recon is affected by the seal. I'm not able to get all my shots inside the 1" dot from 5m - so I don't know if that's my fault or the Recon's ... time will tell.

The disadvantage of the red dot Wide View from Daisy is that the red dot pretty much covers the little 1" orange dots at 10m, but their easily centered with the red dot at 5m. Otherwise, it's handy for quick sightning in.

I'll check WM to see if they have that scope you mentioned... that and a few more tins of pellets and maybe some actual scoring targets. I don't know if I should continue using the Match grade pellets for breaking in the Gamo, or if I should just pick up a few tins of less expensive pellets for now.

Thanks for you input...

Daniel in OKC
scopes seem to be better if you shoot with BOTH eyes open.

Takes a little geting used to but every body who tried it shoots better. The both eyes open is the Army way to shoot and it works.

October 29th, 2006, 4:41 am #7

I've tried a little of both (one eye and two). Sometimes if my glasses are angled the wrong way, I get a double image, and I struggle to get the two images together more than I do trying to aim with one eye.

My findings so far...

Walmart on the south side of OKC has the Gamo Shadow 1000 on clearance (from $117) to $99. Not low enough for me to spring for it. Also, the wife would think I really lost it if I brough home a second air rifle. I can't justify a second one right now, and this little one is just right for us. 1000fps is overkill for our basic target shooting in our backyard, and the extra weight while aiming and strength required to compress the spring would make the gun less likely to be used by my wife and 14 year old.

Also - Walmart has the Daisy 3-9x32 scope ... for $28. I didn't care for the selection and prices of pellets at Walmart, so I left.

I ended up going back to Academy tonight and picked up three tins of Match grade Gamo pellets (250) and Gamo's 4x32 scope. This scope is so much better than the silly little 4x20 that came with the Recon. I now understand even more why people were calling the 4x20 scope on the Recon a joke ... it is.

FYI for anyone that is looking for a good starter airgun for the family... I've really grown attached to this little Gamo Recon. It's small enough and light enough that everyone in the family can shoot with it quite well. I've had almost no fatigue with the break barrel ... and I've run thru 250+ pellets in about 24 hours (and I'm no He-Man).

As for accuracy - it's not going to drive a nail everytime from 10m (that, or I really need to work on how I brace the gun in the prone position with the gun practically laying on the ground). After adding the new scope, I think that better than half of my shots are in the orange (1" dot from 10m). Of course - I haven't shot 700+ shots yet ... so I may change my story after I break the gun in.

The Recon looks "cool" according to my 14 year old with it's stylish stock and composite matte black look - and when I added the 4x32 scope, it looked REALLY COOL!

We had fun shooting tonight in the dark. The orange dots are phosphorescent (i.e. they glow in the presence of UV light), so I set up a black light near the paper with the dots, and we had a lot of fun shooting at night. It helped me get the scope sighted-in and let everyone have a chance at it.

I'm not ready to say that the Recon is the airgun for everyone, but I think it's one that I'd gladly keep around for the kids ... and maybe one day ... the grandkids.

October 29th, 2006, 4:48 am #8

Daniel in OKC
My neighbors kid has a Recon and I setup and tested the gun. The seal looks to be fine on his gun and the Chrony test show good consistent Velocity after 600+ pellets through it. I have test 16 different pellets through the gun and its loves the RWS Super Points and the Beeman Sliver Stings. The Beeman Field Target Specials and the Crosman Premier's at 7.9gr will work good too. I had problems with the scope rails on it that kept the scopes sliding. I also changed the scope twice and now it has a BSA 3-9X32MM on it. The Recon shoots much better with the BSA, but it will still throw flyer pellets but not that much. I have the kid shooting his Recon at 10 yards and he and the gun are getting better. The bottom target is the best I can get the Recon. If kids are shooting cans, bottles this gun will be just fine at 10 or 15 yards. If you can get an AO scope and put it on the gun will shoot much better at 5 and 10m.

1 inch outer ring grid target with me shooting at 10 yards on a rest. Note the 1 flyer. The holes look bad, but I shot out my target backstop and had to replaced it after I shot this.

October 29th, 2006, 6:14 am #9

Daniel in OKC
I've already got the scope mounted and sighted in ... and now I ask the question(?!)

Should I have it as far back as I can mount it, or a little further out?

Thanks,
Daniel

October 29th, 2006, 2:20 pm #10

you could seewhich is best for your son...