Gamo on the Barbie

Gamo on the Barbie

March 18th, 2012, 5:21 am #1

Friday, I finally acquired a Gamo resettable target to the delight of the entire Wasteland Field Target Association (me). Huge celebration, congratulations all around, merriment and feasting and it's out to the range!

First thing I noticed was it is a LOT different than shooting target. One must place the crosshairs INSIDE the target instead of ON the target. Well, I had been forewarned, still, it takes some getting used to.

Next thing I did was shoot the dog.

No, not a dog target cutout, but my actual dang dog! I dont know who the bigger idiot was, me for not paying close enough attention, or the dog for running by just when I pulled the trigger.

Twenty yards,
Hell no I didn't miss.

Put the maiden run on hold to call the vet. Hard to carry on a meaningful conversation when,

a.) The grandson won't stop yowling about the gosh darn bloody dang deed and threatening to squeal to Grandma as SOON as she gets home.

b.) The gosh darn bloody dang dog squealing like a hog stuck under the gate and charging all over the known creation like it's tail was on fire.

And

c.) Flopping around like a gosh darn bloody dang fish cause I got all tangled up in the reset cord trying to straighten out the mess with the boy and the dog!

For crying in the milk, I got to tell you.

OK, OK, pellet hit the last rib in the rib cage and the damage was nil. No penetration, no loss of blood, no dead dang dog.

No score on the shot. What!? Arguing was futile, the judges stood firm.

Fine. Had a cup of Joe, sulked around for a bit then decided I had enough sun and a big enough set of you-know-what to try another shot. I mean a two shot meet is a bleak attempt at a good time at the least, and Grandma wasn't due for another ten minutes anyway, so...

Moved the thing out to 30, put in the half inch reducer trying to get my Troyer up to make up for the lane two debacle and let'er buck.

Well, the target didn't fall but the reducer went airborne. Excuse me? Trudge down to the blasted thing, locate the AWOL reducer, trudge back to my gun and launch another shot. Off she goes again! Whadawe got here, Sputnik? I'm starting to steam a little, Gents, though the knucklehead boy thinks it's a hoot. (He and the dog have taken refuge on the trampoline and are rooting for the squirrel.)

Well, inspiration comes at the strangest moments sometimes and I goes into the house and wrestle one of them little mean magnets off the refrigerator trudge back down the target while the suns starting to wane, stick it in between the reducer and the squirrel, trudge back up to my gun and launch my final shot.

Today is Saturday and I still haven't found that little pinchy thing that holds the pin in on the setting linkage. Im just sure these things are supposed to last longer than just three shots aren't they?

And I somehow feel that I came in second in a field of one.

I'm seriously considering putting the Gamo on the Barbie.

Appel

President and sole participant of the fictional Wasteland Field Target Association
South Dakota FT State Champ by rumor and default
Only living member to have won a sanctioned match merely by showig up...

March 18th, 2012, 8:02 am #2

we had here in Southern California.

hope the dog forgives you.

March 18th, 2012, 12:51 pm #3

Friday, I finally acquired a Gamo resettable target to the delight of the entire Wasteland Field Target Association (me). Huge celebration, congratulations all around, merriment and feasting and it's out to the range!

First thing I noticed was it is a LOT different than shooting target. One must place the crosshairs INSIDE the target instead of ON the target. Well, I had been forewarned, still, it takes some getting used to.

No, not a dog target cutout, but my actual dang dog! I dont know who the bigger idiot was, me for not paying close enough attention, or the dog for running by just when I pulled the trigger.

Twenty yards,
Hell no I didn't miss.

Put the maiden run on hold to call the vet. Hard to carry on a meaningful conversation when,

a.) The grandson won't stop yowling about the gosh darn bloody dang deed and threatening to squeal to Grandma as SOON as she gets home.

b.) The gosh darn bloody dang dog squealing like a hog stuck under the gate and charging all over the known creation like it's tail was on fire.

And

c.) Flopping around like a gosh darn bloody dang fish cause I got all tangled up in the reset cord trying to straighten out the mess with the boy and the dog!

OK, OK, pellet hit the last rib in the rib cage and the damage was nil. No penetration, no loss of blood, no dead dang dog.

Fine. Had a cup of Joe, sulked around for a bit then decided I had enough sun and a big enough set of you-know-what to try another shot. I mean a two shot meet is a bleak attempt at a good time at the least, and Grandma wasn't due for another ten minutes anyway, so...

Moved the thing out to 30, put in the half inch reducer trying to get my Troyer up to make up for the lane two debacle and let'er buck.

Well, the target didn't fall but the reducer went airborne. Excuse me? Trudge down to the blasted thing, locate the AWOL reducer, trudge back to my gun and launch another shot. Off she goes again! Whadawe got here, Sputnik? I'm starting to steam a little, Gents, though the knucklehead boy thinks it's a hoot. (He and the dog have taken refuge on the trampoline and are rooting for the squirrel.)

Well, inspiration comes at the strangest moments sometimes and I goes into the house and wrestle one of them little mean magnets off the refrigerator trudge back down the target while the suns starting to wane, stick it in between the reducer and the squirrel, trudge back up to my gun and launch my final shot.

Today is Saturday and I still haven't found that little pinchy thing that holds the pin in on the setting linkage. Im just sure these things are supposed to last longer than just three shots aren't they?

Appel

President and sole participant of the fictional Wasteland Field Target Association

Especially in FT. With as large as your club is, I can see your need for additional members for the delegation of duties at hand. Its all in the AFTA manual. If the dog is down range call a cease fire/cold line and make it come back.

You and your dog are lucky. A gut shot wound would be hard and expensive to treat. Ya think there might be a cracked rib with the deal?? How much fpe were you using? That should be an easy injury for a dog to overcome.

Sure glad you don't have to learn about peritonitis from a punctured intestine leaking out bowel contents, bacteria, as well as basic digestive juicies that are all working together individually to rake havoc on your dogs insides.

Now what is your plan to silence the grandson in the matter? Bribery and more technology come to mind. Depending on his age perhaps something like this is in order for your newest member.

-
Mine wears a Burris Signature 8x32X scope with an AZ knob with AZ's ballistics for cpl @ 12 fpe. It is one accurate rifle. I switched out bottles for a quickfill. Leo did pretty good with her @ ROT for rifle silhouette.

Dutch

Self proclaimed shootinist sumbitch...there ever was almost!!
Its hard bein shootinst sum bitch...welp not its not.
started @ 227 compressor fills in 6/22/08
181 compressor fills and I have broke even
And aaain't it grrreaaat to be livinnn in the USA.
I never whacked a pigeon, starling, or sparrow that didn't deserve it!!!
1523 and countin....on pigeons..
starling count started 12--

March 18th, 2012, 2:29 pm #4

Twenty yards,
Hell no I didn't miss.

And

Appel

I thought I had issues while weed whacking and forgot about the string leading to my Gamo squirrel...let me tell ya,....you do not want to snag the string with your weed whacker....what a freakin mess....!!

March 18th, 2012, 4:35 pm #5

Twenty yards,
Hell no I didn't miss.

And

Appel

We have a pooch that is always present when we shoot.

Arrow, the attack chihuahua has a blaze orange vest with "RANGE OFFICER" emblazoned on it, so we can keep an eye on him. He is smart enough to walk around behind the line when we shoot, or he will curl up inside your shooting case while you are shooting.

Glad your pooch is not hurt, but keep an eye on him anyway.

Mark

March 18th, 2012, 5:32 pm #6

Twenty yards,
Hell no I didn't miss.

And

Appel

Quite the character test it was.

Should you ever put the Gamo on the barbie, just be sure to remember that:
You need to burn off all that black paint, otherwise everything tastes terrible.
Grilled eggs will go through the KZ, even if your pellets wouldn't.

And don't ask me how I know these things.

Patience and perseverance, my friend.

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

March 18th, 2012, 5:35 pm #7

Twenty yards,
Hell no I didn't miss.

And

Appel

The dog is fine and well, thank you all for your support and concern. Ten minutes after the incident she forgot all about it. Never even licked the spot. Wouldn't know it even happened.

I absolutely know how fortunate we both are and I do not take the incident lightly though I made light of it in my "Match Report" I immediately ceased all activity and after inspecting the mutt I called the Vet. We both agreed I probably hit a rib as there was just a spot of blood and I could not discern anything lodged in or under the skin. Neither did the dog seem that concerned after the initial pain subsided.

I just recently acquired this dog. It is a Husky/Malamute mix and is our third dog on the farm. It is also the first "Outside" dog, the first dog we ever paid for and the first dog I got to pick. She is three months old and ALL pup, but shows great promise.

She ran in from the right which is my scope eye and was no where near when I began sighting. That dog is fast!

I was pretty sick about the possibilities when I first realized what had happened. I was shooting my HW77K .177 at 14 fpe. and it would have penetrated deeply at twenty yards and required surgery.

I must rethink my range and shot execution after this incident.

The target didn't fare as well.

Appel
Last edited by 12345boys on March 18th, 2012, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2012, 4:15 am #8

Twenty yards,
Hell no I didn't miss.

And

Appel

You definately have a knack in story telling!! ..... Glad your dog will be ok to. Better luck next time with the target.

Lonnie Smith
Associate Match Director DFTC
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org/home.html

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"

March 19th, 2012, 9:35 pm #9

Twenty yards,
Hell no I didn't miss.

And

Appel

sit along side of me, or stay behind me when I am shooting. Glad to hear all is good!

Jim G.

"Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards".