Gamo Factory Springs.

Gamo Factory Springs.

January 25th, 2008, 12:42 am #1

Was wondering how they are lasting ?I`ve not had one break,but have so many springers I don`t get to shoot any one a lot.I have had a couple B-19 springs to break,though.Also wondering if the ones that have broke have been on the original factory guide.I would think a tight guide would help this,although I really don`t know.I haven`t keep up with the conversion JM springs on this forum,but I`ve been seeing a R-9 Tarantula,1500,2000 etc mentioned.
Any Thoughts on this appreciated.
Dana

January 25th, 2008, 2:28 pm #2

Well, it varies. I have two 440s. One I have shot for over a year. It has over two thousand pellets though it and is a smooth and great as a stock gun can be. Never been dissassembled, tuned or nothing, just a great shooter and very smooth. The other had a spring break after about five hundred pellets. I did my first tune ever on it. It went fairly well, all except for the way I installed the new spring. Got a tarantula from JM but did not realize to take out the old plastic spacer. The result was an underpowered stroke (the spring obviously could not expand completely on firing) and brought the power down about 100 fps. However the sound, vibration, and everything else was fabulous. When I realized what I had done (a week later) I opened it up and pulled out the spring. It was ruined. The coils were squished togeter at the rear end and the spring lost about two inches in length. Lesson learned for next time.

The Maccari srpings are good but not always available. Right now he is not selling either the 1500 or the 2000. I ordered a universal but don't know how powerful it will be. We'll see.

RC

January 26th, 2008, 1:46 am #3

440,did it have a lotta buzz&vibration?Just wondering,cause you say your vibration free 440 is holding up good.
On that new universal spring,I`m sure you know to measure wire diameter&count coils to see what kind of spacing you need.You may need to trim that factory spacer.
also,that Gamo trigger group is locked by the rear bolt as well as that plastic spacer biting into bottom of trigger group.This must not be an issue,cause it sounds as if someone has used it without in.Post if you would how your new spring works out.
Dana

January 26th, 2008, 4:33 am #4

Yes, the original spring did have quite a bit of buzz and vibration before it broke. I notice the break when after a shot I broke the barell open and the cocking arm travled a bit further than normal before it met resistance from the spring. I knew something was wrong. It is the first spring that brakes on me ever so I was not sure. When I finally pulled it out the spring was broken about two thirds of the way down and the smaller portiong had "telecoped" inside the larger portion. Still have it. The new Tarantula was a totally new experience with a very dry, single thud and no vibration. I am now getting a complete package from Rich to replace it. I'll let you know how it works out. I will keep the universals for other guns.

January 26th, 2008, 8:35 pm #5

Rich is really into these Gamo`s,sure he`s got the fix.If your still around,what kinda accuracy you getting with your 177 gamos,and with what pellet?
Regards,Dana