Gamo express shotgun

Gamo express shotgun

April 3rd, 2009, 1:41 am #1

Thinking of buying one of these just to play around with. I know they have pretty bad reviews. Was wondering if anyone out there has tuned one of these for a bit more power? Mainly gonna use the shot shells out of it. Can it be fitted with a better piston seal, or a bigger spring? Would just like some basic info. I have done a search and yielded alot of negatives about the gun, but not much positive lol.

Thanks in advance

Art

April 3rd, 2009, 6:55 am #2

its got the same action as any other gamo that advertises for 1200 fps w/ pba or 1000 fps w/ lead. go ahead and knock yourself out with tuning it.

at $7.99 for 25 rounds of shot shells is a lot of money in the long run. that is like feeding a bag of peanuts to an elephant. be sure to save up and buy a lot of shot shells. oh and you'll develope a sore aching sensation on the side of your butt......no worries......that's just your wallet hurting. have fun.
Last edited by tsab on April 4th, 2009, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 3rd, 2009, 3:00 pm #3

You could even open up one of the shells to see how made then maybe try to reload them yourself. The velocities will be lower cause it is actually a .22 cal if you use pellets. More like the upper 600's or so with lead and higher with PBA.

April 4th, 2009, 6:09 am #4

Thinking of buying one of these just to play around with. I know they have pretty bad reviews. Was wondering if anyone out there has tuned one of these for a bit more power? Mainly gonna use the shot shells out of it. Can it be fitted with a better piston seal, or a bigger spring? Would just like some basic info. I have done a search and yielded alot of negatives about the gun, but not much positive lol.

Thanks in advance

Art
You just need to do the math on these. Using shot it puts out about 12 ft lbs at the muzzle, that's with 20 #9 pellets. Now since they have such little mass, they are going to lose velocity very quickly. Also, they're not all going to hit. So if you figure that at 10 yards they've probably lost at least 25% of their energy and that only a few of the pellets will likely hit, it starts to give you some idea of just how little energy you're working with. Assuming 25% energy loss and 1/3 of the pellets hitting, you're talking about 3 ft lbs of energy hitting the target at 10 yards.

But there's another problem here as well. #9 pellets moving at maybe 475 fps are going to have very little penetrating power. For hunting purposes, I'm not sure if they'd even break the skin.

I think the thing to do with a gun like this is just accept it primarily as a toy.

April 4th, 2009, 10:53 am #5

may be useful for taking down those pesky cabbage butterflies that ruin your garden.

April 6th, 2009, 3:08 pm #6

Thanks in advance

Art
I have had fun with mine. I reload the shells, best power is with a reloaded shell. I use a pinch of cotton from a cotton ball and top it with a drip of melted candle wax for the bottom of the shell, that is the part that seals the air. The top I use a pinch of cotton or thin cardboard or even paper or foam. I use #8 shot but you can even use 3 bb's or heavier lead shot like #6 or #4 shot. I don't use it to hunt anything, just for shooting. I posted quite a bit of information on this website last year- search for Viper Express and you should find it.

The barrel appears to be way too long for the actual power curve. It could be cut down quite a bit and still have the same power I suspect. The shot pattern is probably improved with the longer barrel, but not the speed. The choke on this gun is interesting, as the internal diameter varies inside. Does not pinch right at the end like a powder gun. It actually increases as the shot is heading out the barrel.

I made a rifled pellet adapter for it, and changed the inside bore diameter.

After all the time and effort, the improvements were not that great. I did learn something from it..

April 6th, 2009, 3:49 pm #7

I know the reviews for the express haven't been favorable but have had an

express for over a year and had lot of fun with it. The key for me has been

able to reload them so its cost effective. I have used #8 shot about 15

pellets and have used black powder fiber seals to make the wads. I found

they made a better seal compared to others I have tried. I made a little jig

to tamp seals in place and experimented with different shot size and number

of pellets. I have reloaded the original box of shells about 8 times and

have had only one split so far. Probably best for knocking over soda cans

but have dispatched a chipmunk and some moles around the barn, anything more

than that would be a stretch. I was probably pushing it as it was. But to

have an airgun shotgun is fun and a lot easier to use than my Crosman 1100