Gamo Delta and Recon questions

Gamo Delta and Recon questions

February 10th, 2009, 6:52 am #1

I'm considering buying either a new Gamo Delta or Recon. The fact that the Recon doesn't have open sights isn't really a drawback to me, as I would plan on scoping either one.It would be my second "modern" air rifle.I also have a Crosman 1077 combo with a 4x32 Centerpoint scope on it.I'm enjoying that gun and am a 55 year old with lots of powder gun shooting behind me.Lots of handloading for rifles and handguns, and IHMSA and NRA mettalic silhouette competition behind me. I can't get to a shooting range much any more, and am enjoying the ability to set up in a couple of minutes, and shoot in my own yard. This would be my first "springer". I don't need maximum power, and I don't want a gun that is real noisy either. My 1077 noise level is all right. I'd like to keep it reasonably quiet.I'm enjoying myself experimenting with different pellets for accuracy.My 1077 likes Crosman Premier wadcutters, and Gamo Masterpoints,Match wadcutters and, to a lessor extent, Beeman Silver Bears. At a measured 39 feet, the gun is capable of maybe 1/4 inch 5 shot groups if I do my job.If I can get a 1077, with that infamous trigger, to shoot okay, I guess I have a chance with a springer.
Natchez has the Delta for sale at $49.86 right now. The Recon, I understand, comes with a pretty poor scope.
So, I'm looking for an accurate,quiet,reliable air rifle.Something I can shoot in my yard without bringing the swat team down on me. And maybe teach my wife the basics of shooting too.I actually like the synthetic stocks, and the one on the 1077 is actually pretty nice.
What do you think? Would that $50.00 Game Delta be a good choice, or the Recon? I'm also kind of looking at the Beeman 1024 takedown rifle.

Thanks, and I hope to raed some comments from owners of these guns.
Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA

February 10th, 2009, 3:33 pm #2

any of those little guns would be just fine. Springers with more power are not much louder,by the way. I warn you that this is an addictive hobby,and if you persist in hanging around this forum,you'll get not only a wealth of information,but an unnatural desire for more airguns.You have been warned. I started out with a single,inexpensive rifle from Sportsman's Warehouse,discovered this forum,and now find myself with almost twenty guns...I kid you not.
Most important for you is that you go over(if you haven't already)the method for shooting springers. I found to my dismay that all my military shooting training was pretty near worthless when dealing with a rifle which experiences not one, but two recoil events even BEFORE the pellet clears the barrel. This is why shooting springers is an art form...you'll be alternately delighted and infuriated with initial results. I prefer springers over non-recoil guns because they demand more of my attention. You can find just about anything you want on this forum,as well. Regards,Bryan

February 10th, 2009, 3:51 pm #3

I better run away...fast.
Seriously, thanks for the reply.

Jon

February 10th, 2009, 5:26 pm #4

I'm considering buying either a new Gamo Delta or Recon. The fact that the Recon doesn't have open sights isn't really a drawback to me, as I would plan on scoping either one.It would be my second "modern" air rifle.I also have a Crosman 1077 combo with a 4x32 Centerpoint scope on it.I'm enjoying that gun and am a 55 year old with lots of powder gun shooting behind me.Lots of handloading for rifles and handguns, and IHMSA and NRA mettalic silhouette competition behind me. I can't get to a shooting range much any more, and am enjoying the ability to set up in a couple of minutes, and shoot in my own yard. This would be my first "springer". I don't need maximum power, and I don't want a gun that is real noisy either. My 1077 noise level is all right. I'd like to keep it reasonably quiet.I'm enjoying myself experimenting with different pellets for accuracy.My 1077 likes Crosman Premier wadcutters, and Gamo Masterpoints,Match wadcutters and, to a lessor extent, Beeman Silver Bears. At a measured 39 feet, the gun is capable of maybe 1/4 inch 5 shot groups if I do my job.If I can get a 1077, with that infamous trigger, to shoot okay, I guess I have a chance with a springer.
Natchez has the Delta for sale at $49.86 right now. The Recon, I understand, comes with a pretty poor scope.
So, I'm looking for an accurate,quiet,reliable air rifle.Something I can shoot in my yard without bringing the swat team down on me. And maybe teach my wife the basics of shooting too.I actually like the synthetic stocks, and the one on the 1077 is actually pretty nice.
What do you think? Would that $50.00 Game Delta be a good choice, or the Recon? I'm also kind of looking at the Beeman 1024 takedown rifle.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
springer shot cycles are harsh, Gamo being one of the worst. Most people that stick with Gamo disassemble and tune the harshness out of them. They have one of the loosest spring to guide clearances resulting is what we call "TWANG!".

Just a heads up. Enjoy the hobby, it's great fun, has plenty of good folks in it and offers more shooting opportunities for frustrated powder burners who can't get to the range or field as often as we'ld like.

February 10th, 2009, 6:19 pm #5

during the break-in period,it was a great gun for spinners,cans and such...not so much on paper targets. By the time break-in was over,it had smoothed out to a great degree with even the trigger now a pleasant and predictable performer.Accurate paper punching at 25yds is now a reality.I always break my guns in before deciding whether or not to work on them.

February 11th, 2009, 12:01 am #6

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
I bought a Delta for my daughter a couple of years ago, and a Shadow Sport for myself.

For plinking around the yard, they Delta is more accurate, probably owing to the lower velocity, and in spite of the poorer scope on it. And it's definitely easier to cock. It's a fun little gun, especially considering the price. I have no regrets for buying it.

February 11th, 2009, 12:52 am #7

Thanks for the information.Sounds like a goog little target shooter/plinker.

jon

February 13th, 2009, 2:54 pm #8

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
There is another guy in Pullyallup Wash. here named Brett. You need to hook up with him and shoot, he is a great guy.

You need to do yourself justice and get a better gun than a Recon or delta.

I have a shadow that I have done lots of work to. It is smooth, quiet and accurate. If you get one, plan on working on it right away. You can research the work on this and other forums. Or send it to Rich in Mich.

Trust me, spending more money now on a tuned Gamo will definitely lower your frustration level. Or planning to work on it beforehand.

Hook up with Brett, he will help you out.

Farmer

February 14th, 2009, 9:43 am #9

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
I got a Recon for a ridiculously low price from an online auction. I really liked it, was very accurate and quiet, but it dieseled a lot so I had it tuned by Rich in Mich. He did an awesome job and gave me back a super smooth shooter with a great trigger and a nice muzzlebreak. The rifle is very light, very easy to cock, and quiet. The scope is tiny and dark so I upgraded to a Leapers 4x32 that works great. Keep in mind that it does not come with a scope stop and the stock rings do not have a stop pin so you will need to buy a new mount as well. All in all, one of my favorite shooters.

February 20th, 2009, 6:12 am #10

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
..for my son's 8th bday. He can cock it with no issues. I've put about 100 shots myself through it and at around 10m it's nearly a one holer! So far all I've shot is RWS Hobby pellets. It's pretty quiet and hopefully when it breaks in will shoot a little smoother as well. Even with this 525 fps gun (haven't run it across the chrony yet-- will soon) it still had my scope walking back a little bit. I stuffed the stock this evening and will see how that helps.
Now I'm thinking of getting a replacement trigger as well, as compared to my CFX with it's upgraded trigger it almost seems painful to leave it the way it is