GAMO CF-X, had to see for myself (pics)

GAMO CF-X, had to see for myself (pics)

September 7th, 2007, 8:42 am #1

I read about pellet choice and their accuracy all over the net but more i read the more unraveled it became; just too many loose ends. There's no dominant pellet on accuracy for the CF-X. As you've known, variables such as muzzle velocity, tuned or bone stock, trigger sensitivity, and other mods can significantly influent your shot. Some say kodiaks are magnificent, others say Superdomes are spot on, some say JSBs are finest, while a few would say CP Hollow is their only choice. So i just had to find out the best pellet for myself. "Best" for me being accuracy since accuracy can help bring down resilient games with small kill-zone. I'll look for punch later.

So, i tested the following pellets:
RWS Superdome, 8.3g, round
JSB Exact Express Diabolo, 7.6g, round
JSB Predator, 8.2g, hollow/pointed (sabot?)
Crossman Premiers Light, 7.9g, round
Crossman Premiers Hollow Point, 7.9g
Gamo Rocket, 9.6g, steel ball head
Gamo Magnum, 7.9g, pointed

I've tried Gamo Hunter, Match, Raptor, Beeman FTS, and B. Laser in the past but didn't like much so decided not to test them again. I've order some Barracuda, Superpoint, Beeman Kodiak, and RWS Hobby from pyramyd air, cant wait...

Tested all at once to keep the weather element same. A bit gusty once a while, 82 degrees, 5 shots each, and at 30 yards. Using my Gamo CF-X modded w/GTX trigger, Nikko Sterling 4-12x42 optic, a bench, and two beers, i began my quest.

See pics and enjoy. POA being center of target of course. I had Superdomes zeroed in so look for precision (grouping) for the rest pellets. In other words, look to see how tightly they group, not how far from bulls-eye.

Results: for MY gun and i only speak for my gun under my amateur skill level, i find round pellets group more tightly and more forgiving. Ex, Superdomes grouped .5 in with one outliar (#4) which was my fault anyway for not following through and JSB Express grouped 1in. Worst are the pointed heads(gamo magnum), one barely hit the paper & the rest had a mind of their own. Predators left bigger holes, dunno why.

some numbers: (using vernier's caliper & in order of precision)
Superdome: 1/2in group
CPL: 3/5in with 1 bad trigger timing
JSBExpress: 1in grp, w/more practice i think i can do better w/these
CPHP: 1 3/8in
Gamo Rocket: 1.5in
JSB Predator: 2in
Gamo Magnum: pfft, hysterical.

Looks like my choice so far is superdome. Only wish i had a Chrony to calc impact energy. If you have any tips please voice them. And if you have a different set up on your CF-X that yields different results, please share them here. Pics say a thousand words. thnx

September 7th, 2007, 2:39 pm #2

The Superdome's at 1/2" looks great. You should try the JSB Exact and the Daystate FT's at 8.4gr.

September 8th, 2007, 12:33 am #3

I read about pellet choice and their accuracy all over the net but more i read the more unraveled it became; just too many loose ends. There's no dominant pellet on accuracy for the CF-X. As you've known, variables such as muzzle velocity, tuned or bone stock, trigger sensitivity, and other mods can significantly influent your shot. Some say kodiaks are magnificent, others say Superdomes are spot on, some say JSBs are finest, while a few would say CP Hollow is their only choice. So i just had to find out the best pellet for myself. "Best" for me being accuracy since accuracy can help bring down resilient games with small kill-zone. I'll look for punch later.

I've tried Gamo Hunter, Match, Raptor, Beeman FTS, and B. Laser in the past but didn't like much so decided not to test them again. I've order some Barracuda, Superpoint, Beeman Kodiak, and RWS Hobby from pyramyd air, cant wait...

Tested all at once to keep the weather element same. A bit gusty once a while, 82 degrees, 5 shots each, and at 30 yards. Using my Gamo CF-X modded w/GTX trigger, Nikko Sterling 4-12x42 optic, a bench, and two beers, i began my quest.

See pics and enjoy. POA being center of target of course. I had Superdomes zeroed in so look for precision (grouping) for the rest pellets. In other words, look to see how tightly they group, not how far from bulls-eye.

Results: for MY gun and i only speak for my gun under my amateur skill level, i find round pellets group more tightly and more forgiving. Ex, Superdomes grouped .5 in with one outliar (#4) which was my fault anyway for not following through and JSB Express grouped 1in. Worst are the pointed heads(gamo magnum), one barely hit the paper & the rest had a mind of their own. Predators left bigger holes, dunno why.

Looks like my choice so far is superdome. Only wish i had a Chrony to calc impact energy. If you have any tips please voice them. And if you have a different set up on your CF-X that yields different results, please share them here. Pics say a thousand words. thnx
I'm glad people like you take time to help us all, nice report. Personall I've had the best luck with CPL's in my CFX. JSB exact diabolo are just as accurate but I havnt played with them that much.

September 11th, 2007, 2:18 am #4

that all guns are a little different. So what you are doing, though tedious, is the best approach. Plus as you have discovered impact zone and accuracy are two differnt things. That is, once you find "your pellet" then go to the trouble to set your zero. And remember that wind impacts pellet flight far more dramatically than it does with a firearm.

September 11th, 2007, 8:29 am #5

Before the test, i was shooting all kinds of pellets and found superdomes to be most precise, which then gave me accuracy after i zero my scope. Superdomes became the "control" for other pellets (hence they hit almost dead center, i still got some fine tuning with my scope). This way i'd know it's not me or other factors when other pellets spread out. I actually shot RWS two more times during the entire process just to make sure weather didn't change on me.

So for me (my CFX, orientation, etc), in order of choice:

1-RWS superdomes
2-Crossman Premiers Light
3-JSB exact light

I've seen this choice combination many times before, just not the same order.

And thanx for the tip Ken.

September 21st, 2007, 11:30 pm #6

My guess would be they're tumbling, resulting in a large hole. Unless they're really well balanced, that shape they use just doesn't seem like it would be stable. The little pointed tip and the larger lead collar step right behind it just seems to be asking for trouble. Is the tip plastic? That would put the center of gravity farther to the rear which would magnify any tip-off out of the muzzle.

Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing the info with us!

brian

Admit nothing, deny everything, make counteraccusations

September 22nd, 2007, 3:54 am #7

is plastic, and i read somewhere that it is supposed to detach from the lead and continue to penetrate the flesh upon impact. pretty cool projectile but only deadly if you can land it in the killzone.

I think youre right that it's tumbling, maybe a reduced velocity would help.

September 23rd, 2007, 3:14 am #8

My guess would be they're tumbling, resulting in a large hole. Unless they're really well balanced, that shape they use just doesn't seem like it would be stable. The little pointed tip and the larger lead collar step right behind it just seems to be asking for trouble. Is the tip plastic? That would put the center of gravity farther to the rear which would magnify any tip-off out of the muzzle.

Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing the info with us!

brian

Admit nothing, deny everything, make counteraccusations
i got a tin of these i wasn`t that impressed with them. my supertuned cfx shoots cphp`s and jsb exacts the best. i shoot thumbtacks at 25-30 yards with no problem.7 squirrels and several doves later she`s still an awesome shooter.hunting season has started here sept 1st so the cfx has been on the back burner to my powder burners.

JEFFRO67