Gamo Accuracy Problem

Gamo Accuracy Problem

February 5th, 2007, 4:13 am #1

I am new to Spring airguns. I just purchased a Shadow 1000 from Cabelas along with a BSA 4X scope. Beleiving the literature on this gun, I assumed it was capable of very tight groups. However, I am very disapointed at the results I am getting. I am shooting from only 10 yards and only able to achieve 2" groups. Some shots will group at about 1", but then there is a stray or two that will go out to 2". I am shooting RWS Super point pellets which is what the guy at cabelas recommended. I am not expcecting same hole accuracy, but I was expecting at least consistent dime-size groups at this distance. (I did that last week with a .22 rimfire from the same bench I am shooting the Gamo from) I have read alot on here about shooting techinque, pellet selection etc, but at this close range, I can't imagine it having that big of an effect. Is it possible that the gun is messed up and needs to be returned, or am I missing something obvious?

February 5th, 2007, 4:29 am #2

Pellet selection and the way you hold the rifle has a BIG affect on the way it shoots. You don't GRIP the rifle you hold it lightly and if your shooting off a rest, set the rifle in the palm of your hand not on a solid bag. You must let the rifle do it's thing sorta, let it float around and your groups will tighten up. It also takes at least 500 to 1000 pellets for the rifle to settle down and start shooting good groups. If your on your first tin of pellets it's to early to worry about groups, just shoot it and the groups will start to get better as the number of pellets shot increases.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

February 5th, 2007, 4:47 am #3

Are you saying that 2" groups at 10 yards would be normal with the wrong pellet and/or shooting technique? I am not gripping the rifle, but letting is sit on an old pillow and slowly squeeze the trigger.

February 5th, 2007, 4:55 am #4

Pellet selection and the way you hold the rifle has a BIG affect on the way it shoots. You don't GRIP the rifle you hold it lightly and if your shooting off a rest, set the rifle in the palm of your hand not on a solid bag. You must let the rifle do it's thing sorta, let it float around and your groups will tighten up. It also takes at least 500 to 1000 pellets for the rifle to settle down and start shooting good groups. If your on your first tin of pellets it's to early to worry about groups, just shoot it and the groups will start to get better as the number of pellets shot increases.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/
I agree, pellet selection has a huge amount to do with the accuracy as well. Try some different pellets. I suggest the crossman premier match or wadcutters, they are cheap and easy to find at Walmart. They are an average weight as well. These pellets are also very well made too. Try a veriety pack or by small amounts of various pellets see which shoots the best for your rifle, then line in the scope for the pellet that shoots the best. Unlike a firearm, there are huge balistic differences between pellets, small weight differnces make big differences in accuracy and distance with pellets. Also practically all air rifles will shoot pellets with different accuracy even the same model air rifle may like different pellets then the exact same model air rifle. If you are new to spring guns they take a while to get used to as well, good trigger control is important too, because after you pull the trigger, the spring action still has to do it's thing and you get a double recoil before pellet ever starts moving, which is why is important to let the rifle move in your hand. This takes a bit of getting used to, espcially if you are used to shooting firearms. Take heart though, get good at shooting a spring air gun and you will see a big improvement in your shooting accuracy of your firearms. Next I would suggest shooting as much as possible burn thru a couple of tins of pellets, then see how you are doing.
Chris Rummel

February 5th, 2007, 4:59 am #5

I almost forgot, make sure you are using a scope stop! If you don't then the scope will constantly be moving around due to the double recoil. Also use some blue locktite on the scope mounting screws. If the scope keeps moving around it will be impossible to keep a zero.
Chris Rummel

February 5th, 2007, 5:22 am #6

Yesterday I was testing out a GAMO Shadow that my friend just bought. I was testing different pellets for him and chronying the FPS of each pellets, trying to find the best pellet for the gun. I can give you a very clear example of how different pellets shoot differently from the same gun. When test firing my friends Shadow I was shooting dime to nickel sized groups with Crosman Premier Hollow Points, JSB Predators, RWS Superdomes, GAMO Rockets, and Beeman FTS. Then I shot a 10 shot string using RWS Super Hollow Points. All 10 shots were spread out over a large 5 - 6 inch area. I switched back to the FTS pellets and shot another dime sized 10 shot group. I then fired a second 10 shot group with the RWS Super Hollow Points and got the same 5-6 inch widely gapped cluster of pellet holes as I did the the first time. Clearly the gun did not like these pellets.

I agree with the others,,,, try some different pellets and give it some more time.

Jeff
Last edited by longislandhunter on February 5th, 2007, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 5th, 2007, 5:24 am #7

I am new to Spring airguns. I just purchased a Shadow 1000 from Cabelas along with a BSA 4X scope. Beleiving the literature on this gun, I assumed it was capable of very tight groups. However, I am very disapointed at the results I am getting. I am shooting from only 10 yards and only able to achieve 2" groups. Some shots will group at about 1", but then there is a stray or two that will go out to 2". I am shooting RWS Super point pellets which is what the guy at cabelas recommended. I am not expcecting same hole accuracy, but I was expecting at least consistent dime-size groups at this distance. (I did that last week with a .22 rimfire from the same bench I am shooting the Gamo from) I have read alot on here about shooting techinque, pellet selection etc, but at this close range, I can't imagine it having that big of an effect. Is it possible that the gun is messed up and needs to be returned, or am I missing something obvious?
Because a springer needs to be removed from the rest to reload, make sure you return the gun to the same position on the rest. Placing the rifle on the rest at different places along the forearm will produce radical shifts in POI. Springers generally do best when rested on something soft like a sand bag or rolled up towel about 1-2" inches in front of the trigger guard. Find a good dome pellet like RWS Super Domes or JSB .452's. Pull a doubled-up length of 30-50# test monofilament line with a patch dampened with a few drops of Goo-Gone citrus cleaner then a few dry patches to eliminate a fouled barrel(common) as the problem.

We'll watch the forum for your results.

February 5th, 2007, 7:46 am #8

Yesterday I was testing out a GAMO Shadow that my friend just bought. I was testing different pellets for him and chronying the FPS of each pellets, trying to find the best pellet for the gun. I can give you a very clear example of how different pellets shoot differently from the same gun. When test firing my friends Shadow I was shooting dime to nickel sized groups with Crosman Premier Hollow Points, JSB Predators, RWS Superdomes, GAMO Rockets, and Beeman FTS. Then I shot a 10 shot string using RWS Super Hollow Points. All 10 shots were spread out over a large 5 - 6 inch area. I switched back to the FTS pellets and shot another dime sized 10 shot group. I then fired a second 10 shot group with the RWS Super Hollow Points and got the same 5-6 inch widely gapped cluster of pellet holes as I did the the first time. Clearly the gun did not like these pellets.

I agree with the others,,,, try some different pellets and give it some more time.

Jeff
I had exactly the same sort of result that my Shadow hated the RWS Hollow points but it loves JSB Exacts and it also hates all the Gamo Pellets..

February 5th, 2007, 2:08 pm #9

February 5th, 2007, 2:34 pm #10