Gamo 1250

Gamo 1250

April 17th, 2008, 8:02 pm #1

Hiya !

This is my first post here ....

I have a question on the Gamo 1250 / Extreme. Looks like the 0.22 version is very welcome. This is exactly what I wanted to ask. Why ?

I saw a thread where the 17 caliber was demonstrated to have superior penetration. The 17 went through a 2 x 4 but the 22 didnt. I know that hunters need punch as well, but you can get punch by using a wadcutter, cant you?

But 22 is favoured by most hunters .... which leads me to only one conclusion which is : Although the 0.22 compromises on penetration, the penetration is still enough for any game that may be taken with a springer. Plus you get the oomph. And the 0.22 may be a little smoother as well.

Is that it ? And I have to ask : in a hunting scenario, do you never have any situation where the penetration of the 0.177 offers an edge ?

Thanks and nice place you have here !

Regards
RT

April 18th, 2008, 10:09 am #2

Last edited by tsab on April 21st, 2008, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 19th, 2008, 4:14 am #3

Hiya !

I have a question on the Gamo 1250 / Extreme. Looks like the 0.22 version is very welcome. This is exactly what I wanted to ask. Why ?

I saw a thread where the 17 caliber was demonstrated to have superior penetration. The 17 went through a 2 x 4 but the 22 didnt. I know that hunters need punch as well, but you can get punch by using a wadcutter, cant you?

But 22 is favoured by most hunters .... which leads me to only one conclusion which is : Although the 0.22 compromises on penetration, the penetration is still enough for any game that may be taken with a springer. Plus you get the oomph. And the 0.22 may be a little smoother as well.

Is that it ? And I have to ask : in a hunting scenario, do you never have any situation where the penetration of the 0.177 offers an edge ?

Regards
RT
A .177 air rifle going through a 2x4 sounds like a stretch... can they really do this???

April 19th, 2008, 3:29 pm #4

I think it was posted by Ken F. I could be wrong abt the name though.

Regards
RT

April 20th, 2008, 5:23 pm #5

A .177 air rifle going through a 2x4 sounds like a stretch... can they really do this???
I have a Gamo Hurricane in .177 and was useing a pressure treated 2x6 as a backstop in my garage as I was doing some chrony testing and it went through it on the first shot. I had to double up the 2x6.
Last edited by fishhawk357 on April 20th, 2008, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2008, 5:44 am #6

Hiya !

Regards
RT
While penetration plays an important role in bringing down game, it isn't the sole factor to consider. Just as important, if not more so, is the amount of energy transferred from the pellet into the game. Call it shock factor if you like. A .22 that stays in the game will transfer 100% of its retained energy. A .177 that passes through carries away some of that energy. You could argue that a really hot .177 at 1100 fps and one at 900 fps, both over-penetrating the target, a probably doing equal damage. In that case, the extra fps is wasted to a degree.

April 21st, 2008, 11:37 am #7

<P>make a nickels worth of difference. In my .22 rimfire days I've witnessed a rib shot squirrel run 20 yards before expiring after being hit with over 100fpe. Also,&nbsp;I've had full pellet penetration on rib shot squirrels at 20 yards when using my old 10fpe HW35 so I personally don't believe the "all energy transfered to the target" hype.</P>
<P>I personally prefer full penetration THROUGH THE VITALS and it doesn't matter to me if full penetration is achieved with 8 fpe or 20.........especially after seeing more than one squirrel take a 100+ fpe hit from a .22 rimfire and keep on trucking for quite a few yards.&nbsp;</P>

April 21st, 2008, 12:02 pm #8

Hiya !

Regards
RT
<P>and the other doesn't.</P>
<P>For a couple years my brother used .177 CP heavy pellets for his squirrel hunting because he could drive that pellet 8" long ways through a squirrel at 30 yards so he would take quartering shots from the rear if he could put the pellet through the vitals at the angle he was shooting. For the last few years though he has been using the .177 CP lights for his squirrel hunting because the flatter trajectory made it easier to put the pellet through the vitals past 30 yards. He has to be more selective with shots now due to less penetration but he's found it an advantage to sacrifice penetration for more precision in pellet placement due to a flatter trajectory. For a while he used a .22 cal barrel on his R9 (a .22 R1 barrel that was chopped and choked) and out to 30 yards it worked well, however he had better success with .177 cal past this distance.</P>
<P>Another consideration is the size of the game you're going after. Both my brother and I have taken a few raccoons with our .177 R9s and for this application the deep penetrating CP heavy really outperforms the CP light. Of course the raccons are taken at a closer range and have a larger killzone (head shots only for raccoons and ground hogs)than a squirrel so pellet trajectory is less of an issue.</P>
<P>I posted a reply above that I really don't think the .22 is any more effective on squirrels than .177 as long as the pellet penetrates through the vitals. My experience is that pellet shape has more bearing on effectiveness than caliber (only considering .177 & .22 cal, not the fat .25 cal). For a while both my brother and I used the rather heavy 9.5 grain .177 RWS SuperMag wad cutter pellet for squirrels and they actually worked better on squirrels than domes as long as the vitals were hit. The fly in the ointment is that the accuracy of anything except domes in our R9s fell apart past 30 yards (20 yards for the Crow Mag pellet) so the success rate (percentage of hit to retrieved squirrels)dropped considerably past this range in spite of the more effective configuration. </P>
<P>Anywhoo.......for squirrels, IMHO, it doesn't make a nickels difference what cal or pellet you use as long as the pellet penetrates the vitals. </P>
Last edited by wved on April 21st, 2008, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2008, 3:02 pm #9

<P>the shape of pellet makes no difference as long as you HIT where you aim, ACCURACY is the key to shooting small game no matter what caliber you are using be it a .177 or a .25.</P>
<P> All the power in the world will be no good unless you can place the shot in a kill zone.</P>

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

April 21st, 2008, 4:09 pm #10

<P>after I read a post that using .20 Crow Magnum pellets with at least 14fpe me will increase the kill zone size 50% over a .177 dome due to it's large hollow point.</P>
<P>For the test I resprung and tuned&nbsp;my .20 oring sealed R9&nbsp;to shoot the .20 Crow Mags at 17.5fpe, then actually hunted squirrels with it for a week. The result was the poorest hit to kill ratio I had ever had at 50%, whereas my normal hit to retrieve ratio using&nbsp;.177 cal CP lights is around 90%. The CMs&nbsp;gave&nbsp;a really satisfying smack&nbsp;on all squirrels hit with one squirrel literally getting knocked off a limb by the hit, but when I got to where it fell it&nbsp;was gone! I had similar strong sounding hits with simliar results. This proved to me beyond question that a poor hit from a 17.5fpe mv CM (the pellet wasn't especially accurate past 20 yards) wasn't&nbsp;as good as an on the mark hit from a 14fpe mv CP light. After that test I sold both my .20 and .22 barrels (a .22 R1 barrel that was chopped and choked) and have been using .177 since.</P>