FT Video - Range Finding and Clicking

FT Video - Range Finding and Clicking

September 12th, 2011, 11:06 am #1

Greetings All,

Here is another video I quickly put together. When trying to describe this process to someone I have received blank stares, so a video to accommodate.

Also, some are not sure what it may be and do not wish to ask. So please reference them to the video.
It is not exhaustive, of course. But I hope it helps a few individuals.

http://youtu.be/vFAuaGI_l-c

-Jeff

Blessings,
Jeff

September 12th, 2011, 11:50 am #2

<p>Excellent video Jeff... now your chart really makes complete sense to me.  Question, why zero at thirty yards?  Is this a good median for field target ranges, or a personal preference?  I have practiced at 40 yard zeroing, but I may try knocking back to 30.</p><p>One last question; is windage never touched once zeroed in?  Is this where "doping" the wind comes in to play?</p>

September 12th, 2011, 1:24 pm #3

I still consider myself a newbie so I will answer as best as I can.

Zero at 30? I am not sure why zero at 30 other than that is near the middle of the ranges and for me it seemed to give the greatest distance of not really needing to click per the Chairgun Pro software.

For me (me the newbie), I don't see the need to adjust for windage due to the short range and the time it would take to do so. In a match you are timed at each lane. I do not want to change the horizontal and vertical at each lane. For now - I am just using "hold-side" for windage (as opposed to hold-over as used in hunting. I am not that great at wind doping yet, so it is more of a guess.

Some other ladies or gentlemen here who are much more knowledgeable than I on the subject of wind doping may be able to address the question better.

Blessings,
Jeff

September 12th, 2011, 1:53 pm #4

Greetings All,

Here is another video I quickly put together. When trying to describe this process to someone I have received blank stares, so a video to accommodate.

Also, some are not sure what it may be and do not wish to ask. So please reference them to the video.

-Jeff

Blessings,
Jeff
in a nutshell. Very clear & concise. Great job!

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

September 12th, 2011, 2:29 pm #5

Zero at 30? I am not sure why zero at 30 other than that is near the middle of the ranges and for me it seemed to give the greatest distance of not really needing to click per the Chairgun Pro software.

For me (me the newbie), I don't see the need to adjust for windage due to the short range and the time it would take to do so. In a match you are timed at each lane. I do not want to change the horizontal and vertical at each lane. For now - I am just using "hold-side" for windage (as opposed to hold-over as used in hunting. I am not that great at wind doping yet, so it is more of a guess.

Some other ladies or gentlemen here who are much more knowledgeable than I on the subject of wind doping may be able to address the question better.

Blessings,
Jeff
i zero at the flattest part of the trajectory. this is usually around the 30 yard mark for rifles. i set the windage at zero and leave it. put the target turret cap on so it does not get moved inadvertantly when lane hoping. i learned the hard way at Ntionals in 09 when i bumped the windage knob moving my poi 1/2 moa. wind doping takes practice and a general understanding of how wind affects a projectile. depending on the direction of the wind, the pellet may climb or fall as it drifts one way or another.

sincerely,
Ronnie
www.EFTC.us

NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

September 12th, 2011, 3:20 pm #6

Blessings,
Jeff
changing it in a match is just another thing to screw up. besides holdoff has to be trimmed by the second as my wind indicator changes. By the time you clicked the wind would have changed rendering it useless. I don't know of anyone who clicks for wind speed changes, although there may be someone who does. It is important though to get your windage zero in perfectly calm conditions or it is invalid from the start.

September 12th, 2011, 6:21 pm #7

We had some no breeze mornings this past weekend, and I zeroed the windage, hoping I was not going to have to move it again...

September 12th, 2011, 6:26 pm #8

changing it in a match is just another thing to screw up. besides holdoff has to be trimmed by the second as my wind indicator changes. By the time you clicked the wind would have changed rendering it useless. I don't know of anyone who clicks for wind speed changes, although there may be someone who does. It is important though to get your windage zero in perfectly calm conditions or it is invalid from the start.
calm conditions Larry. i find this very crucial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ronnie
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

September 12th, 2011, 6:37 pm #9

Blessings,
Jeff
doping. the arrow shows the direction the wind is coming from based on a rifle with a right hand twist.

Ronnie

NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

-bp

September 12th, 2011, 7:16 pm #10

Greetings All,

-Jeff

Blessings,
Jeff
it's not easy to produce a good video, and that's already two good ones you made. you may be creating the definitive video textbook for newbie FT shooters. good for you

-bp