FT scope recommendation?

FT scope recommendation?

-bp

May 28th, 2012, 3:41 am #1

so, i'm finally being driven nuts with scopes that won't hold zero. even though i spend almost 70 bucks to get a good one.

so who is making something that'll hold zero that won't break the bank? i can barely afford pellets right now, but "chasing the zero" is making me crazy.

i'll pick out something with mildots and AO, maybe side focus if i can afford it, so tell me what brands (please start a little cheaper than swarovski ok?)

thanks

-bp

May 28th, 2012, 4:40 am #2

This same issue has been driving me nuts as well. To the point that I'm thinking laser rangefinders should be allowed. I shoot a TX200, and its hard enough to find a scope that will fulfill the basic requirements:

1. decent glass
2. focuses to 10 yards
3. hold zero, and is repeatable
4. will last on a springer

When you add the requirement that the scope should range find, it seems like an impossible task, i.e. needing 30X at least.

And most of the scopes people recommend seem to be out of production. Finding a scope that's springer rated along is difficult enough.

I'll start a different thread about rangefinding so as not to hijack this thread. I'm curious to see what people recommend.

May 28th, 2012, 11:16 am #3

is rare and could be expensive. Better alternatives maybe tuning down the springer or maybe even shootinng a heavier pellet. Bill, Try a Vortec kit in that R9!

May 28th, 2012, 12:04 pm #4

so, i'm finally being driven nuts with scopes that won't hold zero. even though i spend almost 70 bucks to get a good one.

so who is making something that'll hold zero that won't break the bank? i can barely afford pellets right now, but "chasing the zero" is making me crazy.

i'll pick out something with mildots and AO, maybe side focus if i can afford it, so tell me what brands (please start a little cheaper than swarovski ok?)

thanks

-bp
It will hold up to a diana 54. I had one on my diana 56 with no problems. Its light weight but not side focus.

Jerry L

May 28th, 2012, 2:16 pm #5

thanks

-bp
8-32x side focus has held up well on my RWS 52.

lhd

May 29th, 2012, 12:39 am #6

is rare and could be expensive. Better alternatives maybe tuning down the springer or maybe even shootinng a heavier pellet. Bill, Try a Vortec kit in that R9!
To tune it down so as to protect the $70.00 scope! Heh Heh

May 29th, 2012, 1:01 am #7

thanks

-bp
The 6.5-20x Simmons 44 mag i have on my R9 has been holding its zero quite well.

MidWay USA still has some Whitetail Classics (new version) on sale for $125. One of the better values out there right now IMHO

Sometimes its actually a mount issue. A Weaver adapter and a good set of weaver mounts might be worth a look.

May 29th, 2012, 11:27 pm #8

To tune it down so as to protect the $70.00 scope! Heh Heh
If you can't find a scope in your price range to do the job than why not tune the gun to use what you already have.

-bp

May 29th, 2012, 11:32 pm #9

This same issue has been driving me nuts as well. To the point that I'm thinking laser rangefinders should be allowed. I shoot a TX200, and its hard enough to find a scope that will fulfill the basic requirements:

1. decent glass
2. focuses to 10 yards
3. hold zero, and is repeatable
4. will last on a springer

When you add the requirement that the scope should range find, it seems like an impossible task, i.e. needing 30X at least.

And most of the scopes people recommend seem to be out of production. Finding a scope that's springer rated along is difficult enough.

I'll start a different thread about rangefinding so as not to hijack this thread. I'm curious to see what people recommend.

i'll respond to each of you who sent good answers

you do need high power (or in lieu of that, enormous objective which is cost-prohibitive). either of those parameters will yield a shallowness of focus that provides for good rangefinding, and since we're limited to 12x in hunter class, i tried using a 56mm diameter objective.

it was slightly better at focusing sharply on various distances, but no where near enough 'shallowness of field" (the opposite of depth of field, which is the term photographers usually use) to allow good rangefinding beyond maybe 25 yards. it would probably take an 80-100mm objective to make a difference, and that would be way to heavy, would require an extremely high mount, and would cost about as much as a new buick.

but there is good news for me anyway, and i'm going to post it above in a new subject line to give it the attention it deserves.

-bp

-bp

May 29th, 2012, 11:37 pm #10

my 'ed-gun' (the r9 i bought from ed canoles) is pretty hot right now, at 930FPS, but it's fairly gentle on the recoil, because ed is much better at finessing these things than he lets on. i'd never hesitate to buy a used gun from him, nor to have him work on one for me.

anyway, i love the fact that it's about at max possible velocity because it gives me about the flattest trajectory i can get from a springer, and i like springers.

i was looking into a fancier scope, but right now i can't lay out the big bucks for even a $300 scope, so it's a moot point for the time being.

however, i just got some good news, which i'll post in a new subject line above.

hoping you get down here to a difta this year. if you do, i think we'll all have to chip in and take you ut to supper after you spend all that gas money to get here.

stay well,

-bp