ft rules to minimize cheating?

ft rules to minimize cheating?

-bp

May 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm #1

if i had a scope with no 12x factory marking, it would not be rocket science to slip the ring to a higher magnification while showing a lower number.

i could likely move my scope up to a higher number for rangefinding without anyone ever noticing.

maybe i'd have a surgical lump implanted in my left knee and wrist to avoid the 2" restriction

i bet i could even sneak out a laser RF and 'lase' the distances to some targets.

but i find it sufficient that the rules say we don't do that. we just follow the rules. we often confirm with each other in a squad that we are conforming with the rules. confirmation of conformity.

so has everyone i've ever shot with. we just abide by the rules.

we don't need no stinkin' range cops

since i'm only familiar with the club here at difta, i gotta ask: does anyone know of anyonw who cheats at FT? anyone ever caught anyone cheating? wouldn't the embarrassment be almost terminal?

before the 'factory marking' rule, i knew of people who turned a scope to something that looked like a 12x position even if it wasn't engraved. they often asked fellow shooters, "is this ok?"

are we self policing? would anyone try to get away with a 21FPE gun? a "re-marked" scope? (remarkable).

i just don't see it happening.

-bp

May 20th, 2012, 8:12 pm #2

While I'm amazed at what lengths some folks will go through to try winning a piece of paper I'm thinking that some simply don't know the rules. A few years ago a fellow showed up at DIFTA to shoot hunter class (when the class was combined piston & PCP). He used a low lawn chair with back for a "bucket", had a three legged camera tripod ATTACHED to his PCP, and simply layed back in the chair to take the shot. I felt that this was definitely stretching the rules, however the range master allowed to compete with that setup.

IMHO it would make for a really miserable shoot to get so anal about a POSSIBLE cheater stealing a piece of paper that the matches become "policed by the Gestapo"! Some new folk might simply be ignorant of the rules instead of actually "cheating". Recently at DIFTA it was learned that during the match a new hft shooter was rangefinding at "high power", then turning the power down to 12X to take the shots. Till then it had never been considered that someone would make such a mistake.

Last edited by nced1 on May 20th, 2012, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 20th, 2012, 9:45 pm #3

It should be brought to their attention in a respectful manner. If they continue to do it then a range offical should set them straight. I really believe that cheating in this sport is very minimal.

May 20th, 2012, 11:02 pm #4

if i had a scope with no 12x factory marking, it would not be rocket science to slip the ring to a higher magnification while showing a lower number.

i could likely move my scope up to a higher number for rangefinding without anyone ever noticing.

maybe i'd have a surgical lump implanted in my left knee and wrist to avoid the 2" restriction

i bet i could even sneak out a laser RF and 'lase' the distances to some targets.

but i find it sufficient that the rules say we don't do that. we just follow the rules. we often confirm with each other in a squad that we are conforming with the rules. confirmation of conformity.

since i'm only familiar with the club here at difta, i gotta ask: does anyone know of anyonw who cheats at FT? anyone ever caught anyone cheating? wouldn't the embarrassment be almost terminal?

before the 'factory marking' rule, i knew of people who turned a scope to something that looked like a 12x position even if it wasn't engraved. they often asked fellow shooters, "is this ok?"

are we self policing? would anyone try to get away with a 21FPE gun? a "re-marked" scope? (remarkable).

-bp

For some reason, they have to do it. Years of team sports like baseball and football have taught them that cheating is good as long as you don't get caught(that's my theory at least). There are just some way too competitive people.

May 21st, 2012, 5:18 pm #5

-bp

match conduct and equipment standards. It is not the responsiblity of the new shooters to know these things until we educate them. Most people are more comfortable if they know the rules and they know that everyone is following them. Folks will always try to push the envelope and we rangemasters have to let them know what is acceptable. It is always good to have all of this in writing so it does not become the whim of the week. Ultimately shooters have to police themselves and if they won't then we should talk to them in a non accusatory fashion to correct the situation.

May 21st, 2012, 11:00 pm #6

-bp

Anarchy prevails when the favored few rebel against their structured environment....... Its kind of like locking your doors even when you trust your family and neighboors. It keeps the honest people honest.

Lonnie Smith
Associate Match Director DFTC
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org/home.html

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"

May 22nd, 2012, 1:11 am #7

For some reason, they have to do it. Years of team sports like baseball and football have taught them that cheating is good as long as you don't get caught(that's my theory at least). There are just some way too competitive people.
auto racing...not as easy to cheat shooting a gun.