Frustrated, and I know its me...............

Frustrated, and I know its me...............

November 23rd, 2010, 2:06 am #1

You guys ever had a gun that would shoot good to a threshold, and then seems to drop off?

My b-25.......has probably around 3k round thru it, shoots most everything ok, out to 20 yds.

Really likes RWS domes, and doesnt mind the JSB rs, but shoots the JSBS EXACTLY 1 mil dot left and 1 dot down.

My problem is, I sometimes go 2 weeks without shooting. I can still get pretty good results, around nickel sized groups at 25 yds. This is not bad at all for a 140 dollar scope combo .22.

The bigger problem is ......

Take those groups back just 10 yds, to 35-40 yds, and they really open up. Not too much drop, pellets are still hitting hard. Just all over.

I would rate myself and average shooter, but what else can I do to improve?

BTW, good to get an opportunity to post.

Hope ya'll have some time on the upcoming holiday to realize how much God has blessed your life, and that you can spend time with your families.

Farmer

November 23rd, 2010, 1:02 pm #2

I know I get drastically different results in my QB with heavier pellets. The POI was higher with CPH's than with JSB Exacts (my gun is .177 though).

I noticed even at 50 yards, the Crosman's fly higher and still hit harder. Might be worth a shot? You never know...

Good luck!
Clay

November 23rd, 2010, 3:12 pm #3

tried all of the availible out there, but have tried.

Kods
Bearcubs
Lasers

Cheap chinese

JSB rs's

rws domes

H&N barracuda
CPH's

The heavies really drop, but most mid weights really do well out to 50 trajectory wise.

When I say all over, I mean maybe 3 inch horizontal spread, not too much veriticle.

so the gun must be shooting fairly consistant, and I cant think that it would open up 2 inches within 10-15 yds if it were scope. Screws are tight.

Must just need to experiment with a different hold or something. A shorter trigger pull might help. It is polished and breaks smooth, just a long pull.
Thanks for response.

Farmer

November 24th, 2010, 1:00 am #4

uneven side pressure on your pistol grip. that would cause horizontal spreads.
you may not be pulling trigger straight back. if you are gripping the pistol grip with your fingers wrapped around it that may be influencing things. your thumb should also be on the back of the pistol grip in the same spot every time. if wrapped it will cause side pressure. i imbedded a little brass brad with a round head where i want my thumb pad to go every time.

November 24th, 2010, 4:14 am #5

tried all of the availible out there, but have tried.

Kods
Bearcubs
Lasers

Cheap chinese

JSB rs's

rws domes

H&N barracuda
CPH's

The heavies really drop, but most mid weights really do well out to 50 trajectory wise.

When I say all over, I mean maybe 3 inch horizontal spread, not too much veriticle.

so the gun must be shooting fairly consistant, and I cant think that it would open up 2 inches within 10-15 yds if it were scope. Screws are tight.

Must just need to experiment with a different hold or something. A shorter trigger pull might help. It is polished and breaks smooth, just a long pull.
Thanks for response.

Farmer
your cheek is applying to the stock. I can usually get rid of all my horizontal inconsistency by making sure that my cheek doesn't touch the comb at all. I use a scope riser to get the scope high enough to make this possible. Also look into how you are pulling the trigger. A nice steady pull is needed - your trigger should be set up for a distinct, crisp second stage so you are confident of when the rifle will fire.
If you are switching pellet types frequently, you need to give the rifle time to settle in with the pellet you are going to use, maybe 50 shots, before expecting to see the best accuracy from that pellet.

Tom

November 24th, 2010, 1:44 pm #6

trigger motion has always been good (IMO)

Proper breathing, a steady SQUEEZE straight back, and try not to anticipate the break.

This is a long trigger pull.

I have always been guilty of putting my cheek on the comb, also, I notice that I do wrap my thumb around instead of laying on top.

Will try being more concious of both, and let you know results.......
thanks for the tips.

You know guys, the more I think of it, groups consistantly open up to the left. If I am gripping with the thumb, or applying cheek pressure, this would most certainly push me to the left, correct?

A question on the cheek pressure..........What is my point of reference for making sure my objective eye is in the same spot each time, if I don't let the cheek touch?

Farmer
Last edited by VAFarmer on November 24th, 2010, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 24th, 2010, 5:44 pm #7

it results in pressure from the left applied behind the rifle's center of mass. So my shots displace to the left.

With a decent scope, if your objective is properly focused on the target - and the eyepiece is properly focused on the reticule (I won't go into detail here...) , then eye movement will not result in a change in the POI - that is why the focus adjustment is also called the parallax adjustment. There are probably more topics devoted to sighting in your scope than I can shake a stick at, so to be brief - if you set your rifle down on some pillows or bags and set it up like I described above and sight through the scope without touching or disturbing the rifle, you should be able to move your eye up/down & side-to-side without the crosshairs moving relative to the target.

Tom