Freeze plugs

Freeze plugs

April 5th, 2017, 11:01 pm #1

Any mechanics or anyone have any good way to remove a leaking freeze plug?

April 5th, 2017, 11:44 pm #2

But use to build street rods and mud trucks, if I was replacing them if I recall you could use a punch and tap it on one side till it tipped. Then grab it and pull out. Might even drive a screwdriver thru it then pry it out.

Hopefully it is easy to get too,

Jason

April 5th, 2017, 11:55 pm #3

...specifically an Austin Healey Sprite, I used a cold chisel to cut into the plug, inserted a screw driver and pried/gorilla'ed it out. It was an easy brainless task. Freeze plugs are the very epitome of low-tech, so I doubt that they've changed much since.

April 6th, 2017, 3:27 am #4

Then screw a long deck screw into the punched hole n pull it. You can use
a large diameter washer and a socket to make a simple slide hammer

April 6th, 2017, 9:01 pm #5

Wait until it starts squirting antifreeze. No need to drill the hole.

April 7th, 2017, 2:08 pm #6

But use to build street rods and mud trucks, if I was replacing them if I recall you could use a punch and tap it on one side till it tipped. Then grab it and pull out. Might even drive a screwdriver thru it then pry it out.

Hopefully it is easy to get too,

Jason
Is your Antifreeze at proper level? Was it pushed out a bit by freezing expanding water? Did you try to tap it back in tight like sealing a paint can lid, just tap around the edges to get a good seal? If it still leaks, punch or drill a hole in middle and pull it out. Or try to pry it out from side. Clean rim it seats on and look for a reason it was leaking in the first place. I'm no professional but I was a mechanic at a few garages. I don't know Jack &^%$ about new cars unless I have a Snap-on computer to plug the car into that runs the diagnostics. Then I know what sensor needs to be changed or chip, board, whatever has a glitch. You know, I really hate new cars. They are more efficient but no common man can fix them. I miss the cars that didn't rely on any electronics.
Also think about it this way. They could have refined cars mechanically to run more efficient instead of relying on electronics. It's the same way an air gun uses a HDD or a regulator. It doesn't need to be a Daystate with a LDC screen, chip, electronic trigger, solenoid valve to be efficient. Anyone here build a solenoid valve? I've wondered if I could just to try it. Do Daystates use Solenoids? New post, sorry.

April 7th, 2017, 8:11 pm #7

small hole in it rusted through