found some great deals on mopeds..was thinkin of getting one for summer..any advice

found some great deals on mopeds..was thinkin of getting one for summer..any advice

May 26th, 2012, 7:10 am #1

All jokes aside local runs would save me a fortune..i drive 3-600 miles a week for work..was thinkin for grocery runs and visiting friends a moped may be nice..had one at 15 and i had a crotch rocket at 22.i think a moped is more appropriate for my needs.

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

May 26th, 2012, 10:05 am #2

let your friends see you......:-D JK.

May 26th, 2012, 10:30 am #3

All jokes aside local runs would save me a fortune..i drive 3-600 miles a week for work..was thinkin for grocery runs and visiting friends a moped may be nice..had one at 15 and i had a crotch rocket at 22.i think a moped is more appropriate for my needs.

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>
maybe check into a 250 cc Honda Rebel , the Rebel is a really nice bike and has enough backbone to respond and accelerate a bit better .

have a nice day
Last edited by ralphy101again on May 26th, 2012, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2012, 1:03 pm #4

had was a Yamaha 650 , sold it in 1977. differences from riding now compared to then that i have noticed , more people eat while driving , talking and texting on phones , more road rage . wear high visibility clothing and helment and watch the road for debris, loose gravel, potholes and drivers who are distracted . i really enjoy mine but be safe , be aware , perhaps check out Harley-Davidson forum.com for good helpful info , enjoy.

have a nice day
Last edited by ralphy101again on May 26th, 2012, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2012, 1:21 pm #5

There are some good ones and some serious wastes of money. The number one rule with chinese scooters and mopeds is that you might get one for a song but you'll never be able to buy parts for it.

You're better off buying a used Honda off Craigslist or one of the motorcycle monthlys in your area.

Harv

May 26th, 2012, 3:08 pm #6

bb

May 26th, 2012, 4:18 pm #7

maybe check into a 250 cc Honda Rebel , the Rebel is a really nice bike and has enough backbone to respond and accelerate a bit better .

have a nice day
What Moped goes 70 mph? nt

May 26th, 2012, 5:14 pm #8

There are some good ones and some serious wastes of money. The number one rule with chinese scooters and mopeds is that you might get one for a song but you'll never be able to buy parts for it.

You're better off buying a used Honda off Craigslist or one of the motorcycle monthlys in your area.

Harv
250cc highway cruisers..

May 26th, 2012, 5:15 pm #9

I'm in the learning curve on this..my experience so far...

Moped...cheap, simple, plug and play...also slow to accelerate, can't be pedaled in an emergency(realistically)and they are all chinese now (unless you get into the $2000 range..might as well buy a real motorcycle at that point.

Motor equipped bike...Electric...mine is heavy (and slow, relatively..I can maintain a 20 mph average on a route with no long or steep hills..but I'm working at it) Electric bikes are heavy (over 100 pounds, complete) unless you step up to the LiPo batteries( starting at around a grand for a complete kit with a lipo pack) but very cheap to run.Also a very simple kit to install(this was a hub motor type, the cheapest and easiest to fit)

Gas...2 or 4 stroke? I went to two stroke, and built mine using a used cruiser and parts from the local community bike organization, that repairs bikes and parts out wrecked ones. Built to evoke a 1910 board track motorcycle, it gets more attention than anything short of a Ferrari.Gets 120 mpg,tops out around 35 mph, and can be pedaled home if need be..it still has the 5 speed rear cluster. NOT plug and play..I've got about two years of weekend tinkering in this, to get it where I want it.Under 60 pounds, complete, I could pick it up and carry it if need be, unlike a moped or the electric.

Used real motorcycle.... Unless you stumble on a deal, or a project, even used, 20 year old bikes are going for over two grand, generally(for street bikes) A lot of the older stuff has parts availability issues, and some built in problem areas have shown up. Buy in autumn for better deals.

May 26th, 2012, 5:15 pm #10

bb