for your vehicle and equipment engine oil , do you use synthetic or

for your vehicle and equipment engine oil , do you use synthetic or

August 17th, 2012, 2:09 pm #1

dinosaur/fossil oil?

" Heaven is under our feet
as well as over our heads " Henry David Thoreau

August 17th, 2012, 3:33 pm #2

I have been using full synthetic since 1974. I began testing on my '74 Dodge Charger using Amsoil 10-30 after a 5000 mile break-in with dino oil. Never changed oil but every 5000 miles I changed the oil filter and added a fresh quart to bring level back to full. Short story was that I sold the car to a friend of mine who drive it to 118,000 miles following the same oil schedule and that motor never leaked, never used oil, never had a major repair. He towed a racing boat around the country and never had an issue.

I use full synthetic in everything I own including motorcycles, snowmobiles, lawn equipment, you name it. I'll never change.

Edit: This also includes transmissions, differentials, wheel bearing grease, everything other than firearms or airguns which I wipe down with Rem Oil for rust protection.

Tom

"What, me worry?"

"If I were two faced would I be wearing this one?" - Abe Lincoln
Last edited by tominMPLS on August 17th, 2012, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 17th, 2012, 4:08 pm #3

dinosaur/fossil oil?

Try 20/50 synthetic in your bike, The v-twin will thank you.
It makes a big difference in the transmission as well, Smoother shifting.

Do you really think there were that many Dinosarus?
http://www.sapphireenergy.com/green-crude/why-algae/

August 17th, 2012, 4:25 pm #4

and three service techs all said they used conventional 20w50 in their personal bikes so i stayed with the HD dino 20w50 . one guy who works for me has a wide glide and uses HD synthetic 20w50 , that is the reason i'm asking . knocking on the wood between my ears though, since i have been legally driving in '68 i have yet to have had to repair any internals in an engine yet with the exception of a 454 chevy1 ton that an employee slung a rod in but found out later that he had been drag racing it and reving to max extreme on the windup. it's not always best to allow folks to take vehicles home , now i only have one guy who takes a work truck home , live and learn i'm hoping to do eventually.

August 17th, 2012, 5:25 pm #5

dinosaur/fossil oil?

first thing although synthetic is superior, how many vehicles have you had with oil/wear related failures. it doesn't come up often if ever.
synthetic has two brilliant uses, flows beautifully in cold temp, and stays together in hot temps. that, and you can leave it in longer.
i give the wife's car a change with conventional every other month. the yamaha air cooled bike, i run on automobile synthetic, but it's a 250 and not strong enough to have the wet clutch ruined. i could always buy the correct motorcycle syn but don't bother simply use mobil 1 0/30.
whatever you wish to purchase. nowadays you can run your car on conventional for 6k and drop the oil and filter which is a fair enough deal.
run all the snowblowers and equipment on conventional with a yearly change.

small caliber joy

August 17th, 2012, 9:14 pm #6

dinosaur/fossil oil?

While working at Ford Research and Engineering Center in Dearborn,Mi.
Using 4 identical Ford 460 truck engines.
All were opened up and measured crank,cam,lifters,etc. and noted all measurements.
They ran all four off computer controlled Dyno's using same program,same oil filters(MotorCraft) and 4 different kinds of motor oil,,, all 10/30W,#1 Cheap K-Mart Pentex,#2 Quaker State HD,#3 Penzoil Racing,and #4 using the at the time new Mobil 1 .
The motors ran continuously for 25K miles around the clock or until they failed.
The K-Mart oil engine made it about 16K before blowing up.It spun the crank bearings,then dropped the crank shaft.
They then took each one apart and re-miked all the internals,all but the Mobile 1 had considerable wear to the bearings.
From that day forward I have been using Mobil 1 in every 4-stroke engine I own,cars,motorcycles,lawn mower's & power-washer's.
They were the first so all the rest are just copies to me.

Best Regards
BBGun Bob
reschlund@wowway.com
S.E. Michigan

"Springers are neat,,One Shot One Bullseye"
BUT ONLY If you can master shooting one ! ! !

q1q

August 17th, 2012, 10:34 pm #7

dinosaur/fossil oil?

Nt

Steve
Yellow Forums Owner
http://www.yellowforum.com

To be a poster on yellow forums click below and read

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/me ... 299934519/

August 17th, 2012, 10:39 pm #8

You use "Secret Sauce" in all your cars...

q1q

August 17th, 2012, 10:49 pm #9

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I stopped that due to heavy contamination LOL.

August 17th, 2012, 10:50 pm #10

and three service techs all said they used conventional 20w50 in their personal bikes so i stayed with the HD dino 20w50 . one guy who works for me has a wide glide and uses HD synthetic 20w50 , that is the reason i'm asking . knocking on the wood between my ears though, since i have been legally driving in '68 i have yet to have had to repair any internals in an engine yet with the exception of a 454 chevy1 ton that an employee slung a rod in but found out later that he had been drag racing it and reving to max extreme on the windup. it's not always best to allow folks to take vehicles home , now i only have one guy who takes a work truck home , live and learn i'm hoping to do eventually.

...with practical experience counseled against synthetic due to the wet clutch... too slippery, making slipping possible. So of course I've gone and used Rotella synthetic and Bosch filters: both the highest rated when last I checked. Synthetic in my 97 LeSabre; conventional in the oil-guzzling 03 Expedition (waste of money there). Filters are more important, oils being generally all so advanced now they work well for 5-7 thousand miles. Some have done good tests cutting open & checking filters. Fram had notoriously poor innards; guy did a thorough check but Ford's lawyers threatened him so he took down the site. Think I had copied it before he gave in, somewhere into my computer.