For the young Turks in the military (or recently released)

For the young Turks in the military (or recently released)

June 24th, 2012, 1:53 pm #1

Didn't want to hijack the "what-bad-habits-have-you-given-up" thread below, but a couple responses prompted a question for the current or near current crop of military guys:

....are bad habits common among your peers?

My 28 year old nephew is now out of the army. He did his tour in Iraq. He now smokes, wears several tattoos, drinks, has the worst dietary habits I have ever seen, is unable to save money, got married in a ceremony without telling or inviting family, lost his car, bought a $1000 dog but has to borrow money to feed it, etc.

He came home with shoulders the size of boulders and incredible vanity. He kept up with the enormous calorie intake learned in Iraq, but does not burn it off....so he is a giant pig. My conversations with him leave me with the feeling of having spoken to a con-man. (of course he thinks he just spoke to a gay idiot...so there's that).

His mistakes in diet, social interaction, and budget can all be boiled down to poor judgment. One small example should serve: At Thanksgiving dinner he happily informed me, my wife, and my kids that he can have unprotected sex all day with his wife because she has birth control implants in her arm...! The girl in question was mortified (she's an Army Chaplain's Assistant), and I apologized to her for my nephew's comment.

When he joined in lieu of college I suggested he take any opportunity to learn a skill: languages, programming, mechanics. He tells me that there were no such opportunities.

He joined as a clever boy. He returned a giant dope. Is he a rarity? Is it possible that service in the US military at the grunt level promotes poor judgement in individuals?

June 24th, 2012, 2:04 pm #2

issue) --- GI (gay idiot) ? " Welcome to the Future" , Dam. government has changed "don't tell" to " oh well" .

why ask why
it is what it is,
Last edited by ralphy101again on June 24th, 2012, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 24th, 2012, 3:07 pm #3

Didn't want to hijack the "what-bad-habits-have-you-given-up" thread below, but a couple responses prompted a question for the current or near current crop of military guys:

My 28 year old nephew is now out of the army. He did his tour in Iraq. He now smokes, wears several tattoos, drinks, has the worst dietary habits I have ever seen, is unable to save money, got married in a ceremony without telling or inviting family, lost his car, bought a $1000 dog but has to borrow money to feed it, etc.

He came home with shoulders the size of boulders and incredible vanity. He kept up with the enormous calorie intake learned in Iraq, but does not burn it off....so he is a giant pig. My conversations with him leave me with the feeling of having spoken to a con-man. (of course he thinks he just spoke to a gay idiot...so there's that).

His mistakes in diet, social interaction, and budget can all be boiled down to poor judgment. One small example should serve: At Thanksgiving dinner he happily informed me, my wife, and my kids that he can have unprotected sex all day with his wife because she has birth control implants in her arm...! The girl in question was mortified (she's an Army Chaplain's Assistant), and I apologized to her for my nephew's comment.

When he joined in lieu of college I suggested he take any opportunity to learn a skill: languages, programming, mechanics. He tells me that there were no such opportunities.

He joined as a clever boy. He returned a giant dope. Is he a rarity? Is it possible that service in the US military at the grunt level promotes poor judgement in individuals?
highest self esteem of any generation ever,

coupled with the lowest skillset, ever.

Trends in larger society do not help.

June 24th, 2012, 3:13 pm #4

has some disturbing memories. Hard to say if you have an unusual case or not. Better keep an eye on him, hope he smooths out.

June 24th, 2012, 3:23 pm #5

<p>an excuse for bad behavior is still an excuse.</p>

June 24th, 2012, 4:53 pm #6

some have the"Its all gravy now for a while attitude" I wouldn`t blame current traits on service
though.Curious what his mos was.Sounds like he could be a di-k with or without service.

mark in mass

June 24th, 2012, 7:01 pm #7

He is getting some sort of compensation from the government. He has said that it is more than he can make at a minimum wage job, so why bother to look for one. I can't believe that his GI compensation is forever. It has to end sometime.

June 24th, 2012, 7:16 pm #8

<p>an excuse for bad behavior is still an excuse.</p>
The profile does look terribly familiar to the definition of GenY.

His brother is very different: finished HS on time, about to finish college, pursuing a goal (firearms designer), always worked at something.

Heard a sad description of the development of the American family:

1st Generation in the US works its fingers to the bone to make a better life for its kids.

2nd Generation in the US goes to college to become the driving force behind innovation and advancement.

3rd Generation in the US goes snowboarding and takes improv classes.

What does the leave for 4th Generation?

June 24th, 2012, 7:33 pm #9

highest self esteem of any generation ever,

coupled with the lowest skillset, ever.

Trends in larger society do not help.
Is it true?

Everything is so messed up. I only developed my carpentry, roofing (slate and copper) and mechanical skills after graduate school. That was because I had the leisure time (and need) to learn on my own.

Seems like folks have a lot of leisure time now at an earlier age, yet it is spent on diversions rather than learning. Could be other factors in the way I guess. I lived in NYC for a decade. Had a furniture shop down the street. Asked to apprentice on weekends so I could learn a trade while spending my week in a cubicle. Owner looked pleased to have me ask, but gave an Italian-accented sorrowful reply: "I canna afford the extra insure to have you in a da chop".

So I learned to tend bar, cook and manage a kitchen, and play the drums. Not as important as being able to re-wire a motor or change a head gasket...but it kept me active. The cooking is the only thing I still do.

June 24th, 2012, 9:31 pm #10

write the kid off family or no family. he may turn around, or not, over whatever agonizingly looooong period.
this stuff belongs in the province of country music.

small caliber joy