For kneeling how about the use of this pad between the heel and butt

For kneeling how about the use of this pad between the heel and butt

August 10th, 2017, 5:24 pm #1

Previous posts have said that this can't be used and yet, here is a National Champion using a pad between the heel and butt.
Comments? Maybe eliminate the kneeling position, who uses this hunting any more?

August 10th, 2017, 5:39 pm #2

Hi BD. FWIW, I had to take the kneeling position season before last to take a buck at 100 yards. Also FWIW, that's the only time I remember kneeling for a hunting shot in over a half-century of hunting. But I probably wouldn't have gotten that buck without kneeling, AND the confidence in doing so built on kneeling for field target.

One last FWIW. Until being required to for field target, I don't recall taking a kneeling shot before then. That said, but considering the successful kneeling shot on aforementioned buck, I now consider kneeling another somewhat-valuable tool in my hunting war-chest.

August 10th, 2017, 8:08 pm #3

Previous posts have said that this can't be used and yet, here is a National Champion using a pad between the heel and butt.
Comments? Maybe eliminate the kneeling position, who uses this hunting any more?
a 3/4" thick x 4" x 5" flat foam pad under my knee cap only when kneeling.

August 10th, 2017, 8:33 pm #4

Tom,
I never tried that behind the knee. My knee will not flex enough without something between the heel of the shoe and my rear end. Even that does not steady me enough. Just something we have to deal with as we add on a few years. I'm definitely not a threat doing it standing. Come to think of it, I'm not much of a threat either way. Hip replacement a few years ago does not help either. I've asked about this several times in the past year, including on the AAFTF forum and not got an answer.
Pat

August 10th, 2017, 8:38 pm #5

I guess I did not explain very well. I place the foam pad under my right knee, between the knee and the ground. Just to take the sharp edges off anything laying on the ground. Even though I will be 61 very soon and in spite of having some serious knee reconstruction surgery, I can still get up and down fairly well.

August 10th, 2017, 10:01 pm #6

Hi BD. FWIW, I had to take the kneeling position season before last to take a buck at 100 yards. Also FWIW, that's the only time I remember kneeling for a hunting shot in over a half-century of hunting. But I probably wouldn't have gotten that buck without kneeling, AND the confidence in doing so built on kneeling for field target.

One last FWIW. Until being required to for field target, I don't recall taking a kneeling shot before then. That said, but considering the successful kneeling shot on aforementioned buck, I now consider kneeling another somewhat-valuable tool in my hunting war-chest.
Re: I sometimes..

August 10th, 2017, 11:01 pm #7

Billy, where did you get Charles knee pads? ;>) nt

August 10th, 2017, 11:57 pm #8

I guess I did not explain very well. I place the foam pad under my right knee, between the knee and the ground. Just to take the sharp edges off anything laying on the ground. Even though I will be 61 very soon and in spite of having some serious knee reconstruction surgery, I can still get up and down fairly well.
Tom,

I understand what you meant now. I usually use a thin pad there to keep out of the dirt or mud.

Pat

August 11th, 2017, 1:35 am #9

Minor Hill, belonging to "He who's name shall never be spoken" NT

August 12th, 2017, 1:42 am #10

kind of ugly so I took zeros on the lane and didn't turn in my score card. The lane had gravel and I used my bum bag to keep from hurting my knee. Still a little pissed about being called out in front of a bunch of people. Don