First post - Marauder questions

First post - Marauder questions

September 14th, 2011, 3:30 am #1

I'm thinking about buying a Marauder for plinking and pest control in a suburban setting. Please help me make the best choices. Wanted: minimum 15 fpe at 30 yards, as quiet as clearly legally possible, and as light as can be done inexpensively. I got the 15 fpe by reading what is effective on things like fox squirrels, pigeons, and grackles - correct me if I am wrong. 30 yards is my chosen max distance.

Questions:
- Is .177 caliber as lethal on small pests as .22 caliber for 15fpe@30yds, given same shot placement?
- Is the Marauder .22 louder than the .177 in stock form?
- Is CO2 powerful enough for my purposes (assume 60 degree temp gas)? In either caliber?

I think I want to quiet the Marauder right off the bat. I'd rather not make it longer. That means keeping the power down, and doing what else I can.

One choice so far is the Marauder hammer debounce device athttp://www.airgunsofarizona.com/CustomParts.htm - designed by someone on this board, I think. I think this helps hammer noise, but does it address the same noise as a "depinger"?

Another choice, that I don't see available, is to shorten the stock barrel exactly enough (from the breech end) to be able to double the number of stock baffles in the tube. "Double" is a guess on what would be best. Is such a thing available, or is there a customizer who would make such a barrel for, say, $60?

Thanks for any help. Great board you have here.

September 14th, 2011, 3:46 am #2

is dead whether in .177 or .22 to answer your question. however you will have to make shot placement every time for the .177 to be as effective as the .22 or .25. i can't tell any difference in the sound level between the .177 and .22 but the .25 is slightly louder.

September 14th, 2011, 3:58 am #3

I can't count on myself to hit a pigeon in the head at 30 yards every time. Squirrel, yes, with little or no wind. Birds, no.

September 14th, 2011, 4:11 am #4

animals. birds not so tough pigeon size. a body hit would be ok on pigeons and rabbits.

September 14th, 2011, 4:42 am #5

I'm thinking about buying a Marauder for plinking and pest control in a suburban setting. Please help me make the best choices. Wanted: minimum 15 fpe at 30 yards, as quiet as clearly legally possible, and as light as can be done inexpensively. I got the 15 fpe by reading what is effective on things like fox squirrels, pigeons, and grackles - correct me if I am wrong. 30 yards is my chosen max distance.

Questions:
- Is .177 caliber as lethal on small pests as .22 caliber for 15fpe@30yds, given same shot placement?
- Is CO2 powerful enough for my purposes (assume 60 degree temp gas)? In either caliber?

I think I want to quiet the Marauder right off the bat. I'd rather not make it longer. That means keeping the power down, and doing what else I can.

One choice so far is the Marauder hammer debounce device athttp://www.airgunsofarizona.com/CustomParts.htm - designed by someone on this board, I think. I think this helps hammer noise, but does it address the same noise as a "depinger"?

Another choice, that I don't see available, is to shorten the stock barrel exactly enough (from the breech end) to be able to double the number of stock baffles in the tube. "Double" is a guess on what would be best. Is such a thing available, or is there a customizer who would make such a barrel for, say, $60?

I forgot - I need a scope of course. I was thinking something in the 4-16x44 range, with AO on the side. 50mm scopes / 30mm tubes seem to add weight and cost. Something lightweight and that fits the Marauder well, maybe 12-14" long. What would be a good choice in the $100-$200 range?

If I can manage with 4-12x, choices in the 40-45mm diameter range seem to go up a lot. But I looked through some 10x binocs, and it seemed 10x was maybe not enough.

Maybe:
CenterPoint 4.5-14x44AO
Hawke Varmint SF 4-16x44
Simmons 4-14x44 AETEC (min focus distance?)

September 14th, 2011, 3:18 pm #6

Heavier than you were looking for but a decent scope with side focus at a good discount.

Airgun Daily
http://www.airgunsdaily.com/?utm_source ... dium=email

September 14th, 2011, 3:44 pm #7

Oops, sorry, too late. They sold out.

September 14th, 2011, 5:44 pm #8

Questions:

I'll start off by saying that I have a .22 Marauder, and I have no experience with the .177, or using CO2 in my .22.

Given that you plan to use this for pest elimination, .22 always beats .177 in that regards, as it is more damaging to the critter and more likely to take them down quicker. That said, if you can make a head shot, dead is dead. Misses are the problem, as a body shot on a red squirrel with a .177 could leave a badly wounded critter that will suffer for many hours before dying.

Noise from the gun is really not an issue - my depinged .22 is set to shoot at 30 FPE, and the sound of the gun is irrelevant - it is the thwack on the critter that everyone hears. This will be true at whatever level you set up either gun. Mine literally just makes a quiet little "pop" when fired. I doubt anyone 50 feet away would hear it, but they will certainly here the critter get hit - I know as I have a 14 FPE springer, and the impact with that is still louder than the gun.

The HDD does not do the same thing as a depinger. The HDD will quiet a gun later in the shot string when the hammer bounce starts causing the gun to "burp" out more air after the pellet leaves the muzzle (firing without a pellet is much louder than firing with it as the pellet absorbs a lot of the air's energy).

A depinger mounts in the air tube to dampen out a "ping" kind of sound that results from the impact of the hammer and the shock wave of the pressure change in the air reservoir - just like your hand on a bell stops it from ringing. The best are custom made Delrin parts, but the vinyl nose ones are almost as good. They both work great, and the only draw back is that they do reduce the volume of the air reservoir slightly - but definitely worth it if noise/sound quality is a concern. And you don't need anyone to make a shorter barrel - due to the way pneumatic guns work, that would make the muzzle blast louder, and the added baffles would just be countering that effect for no real gain in quietness.

Bottom line: make your choice based on the pest elimination needs, as noise is not much of a factor in either a .177 or .22 Marauder. As long as it is legal for you to shoot pests on your property, you will be fine with either one and even better once it is depinged. If it is not legal, you have bigger issues to worry about than noise . . . . somebody could hear/see the impact on the pests, and than watch for you to do it again and take a picture. For me it is legal, but I still want things quiet so that I don't bother neighbors in the process.

September 14th, 2011, 8:47 pm #9

Questions:

And use the air metering valve to bring it down to 15fpe. It will produce an ultra quiet configuration without shortening the barrel.

Last edited by AirSmithCA on September 15th, 2011, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2011, 11:33 pm #10

Questions:

The hammer tension-stroke length are to tune for maximum # of shots with minimum velocity change. A chronograph is needed. The stock configuration was near optimal in my case.