Finally had a chance to wring the Mrod out at 50, 100 and 150yds, and

Finally had a chance to wring the Mrod out at 50, 100 and 150yds, and

May 1st, 2010, 2:12 am #1

found a couple of more Pellets that it liked. After my disappointment with the recent run of Benji HP's, my former favorite plinking pellet, I took the advice of a few here and ordered some FTS's and Crosman Pointed Hunting pellets.......and boy was I surprised.

I'm running the stock barrel right now that Greg worked his magic on, it still hates JSB's, but really loves the predators, and that's a must for me. I posted previously of some 30-shot, 50yd groups with the Benji Hp's that I could cover with a dime.......the last batch I bought put flyers out to 6 inches at 50yds.....hence the pellet order.

It's been raining this afternoon, and I couln't make it up to Little Rock....but between showers, the wind was pretty light, couldn't mow the yard...so, ran over to a buddy's house and set the bench and targets up......I started at 25yds, but it put the FTS's and Crosman Points into one hole......good start for sure....

So I backed it out to 50yds....wind was still light, with the occasional light gust...and the bench was not the most stable I've ever shot across, but I made do.......I also decided to run a clip of H&N Barracuda Match just for verification purposes, as I know how it shoots these....

I usually shoot 20-30 shot groups, but with a storm threatening, decided on one magazine of 10 for each pellet.....

Predators at 50yds

FTS's at 50yds

Crosman Pointed's

H&N Barracuda Match

Well, well, well.......it likes them both, and still shoots the preds right on the money...well inside MOSH (Minute of Squirrel Head).....so let's take it out to 100.

Holy Schmoly! Out of the Tin Crosman Points with some verical stringing that was probably me! Wow!

Predators shot like they have before.

Well now, FTS's at 100...wind may have been a factor on a couple, but still very nice.

So now I'm very impressed with these two pellets....and there will be more on order......wind was still reasonable, but I could hear thunder in the distance......so ran the Target out to 150yds, and had my bud stand out there and put his finger on the shot holes so I would at least have a reference....forgot the spotting scope Dangit!

First time I've shot the gun this far and was pleased with the Preds. I was worried after some folks reported they dropped off hard at longer ranges.

Not bad for cheap Crosman pellets...sky was growing dark, so may explain the different groups? Wind was picking up a bit too.

Here are the FTS's....Wind was gusting more, so think they will do significantly better with no wind and better light.

And here's the beauty herself.

This is a GD-tuned Mrod, with a stock, massaged barrel, in a James Linthicum stock, Tim Einck trigger and guard, 4-12X44 SWAT Leapers scope......shoots 16gr Predators at an average of 963fps for 30 shots.....for the Mrod Naysayers.........you can't scoff at this gun.....it will shoot and shoot with the best guns I've had the opportunity to touch the trigger on.....

Semper Fi,

Jamie

May 1st, 2010, 4:11 am #2

after my pump blew i went to dicks, bought disco just to have pump-long ass day

May 1st, 2010, 7:32 pm #3

found a couple of more Pellets that it liked. After my disappointment with the recent run of Benji HP's, my former favorite plinking pellet, I took the advice of a few here and ordered some FTS's and Crosman Pointed Hunting pellets.......and boy was I surprised.

I'm running the stock barrel right now that Greg worked his magic on, it still hates JSB's, but really loves the predators, and that's a must for me. I posted previously of some 30-shot, 50yd groups with the Benji Hp's that I could cover with a dime.......the last batch I bought put flyers out to 6 inches at 50yds.....hence the pellet order.

It's been raining this afternoon, and I couln't make it up to Little Rock....but between showers, the wind was pretty light, couldn't mow the yard...so, ran over to a buddy's house and set the bench and targets up......I started at 25yds, but it put the FTS's and Crosman Points into one hole......good start for sure....

So I backed it out to 50yds....wind was still light, with the occasional light gust...and the bench was not the most stable I've ever shot across, but I made do.......I also decided to run a clip of H&N Barracuda Match just for verification purposes, as I know how it shoots these....

I usually shoot 20-30 shot groups, but with a storm threatening, decided on one magazine of 10 for each pellet.....

Predators at 50yds

FTS's at 50yds

Crosman Pointed's

H&N Barracuda Match

Well, well, well.......it likes them both, and still shoots the preds right on the money...well inside MOSH (Minute of Squirrel Head).....so let's take it out to 100.

Holy Schmoly! Out of the Tin Crosman Points with some verical stringing that was probably me! Wow!

Well now, FTS's at 100...wind may have been a factor on a couple, but still very nice.

So now I'm very impressed with these two pellets....and there will be more on order......wind was still reasonable, but I could hear thunder in the distance......so ran the Target out to 150yds, and had my bud stand out there and put his finger on the shot holes so I would at least have a reference....forgot the spotting scope Dangit!

First time I've shot the gun this far and was pleased with the Preds. I was worried after some folks reported they dropped off hard at longer ranges.

Not bad for cheap Crosman pellets...sky was growing dark, so may explain the different groups? Wind was picking up a bit too.

Here are the FTS's....Wind was gusting more, so think they will do significantly better with no wind and better light.

This is a GD-tuned Mrod, with a stock, massaged barrel, in a James Linthicum stock, Tim Einck trigger and guard, 4-12X44 SWAT Leapers scope......shoots 16gr Predators at an average of 963fps for 30 shots.....for the Mrod Naysayers.........you can't scoff at this gun.....it will shoot and shoot with the best guns I've had the opportunity to touch the trigger on.....

Semper Fi,

Jamie

That is some great shooting.

Do you use wind flags?

I shoot a lot of 22LR rimfire benchrest and wind flags really help.

May 4th, 2010, 3:32 am #4

Predators at 50yds

FTS's at 50yds

Crosman Pointed's

H&N Barracuda Match

Semper Fi,

Jamie

The more I thought about this post, the more it made me realize just how good these groups are. You are basically aiming two feet over your intended target. And you are not canting at all. So, I need to know how you accomplish this (besides natural skill and military training, of course - hehe). In other words, what tools do you use? Scope level? Plumb bob? Type of bench rest?

I would love to see what my Marauder is capable of shooting in the hands of a skilled marksman.
It also makes me wonder if my gun is disappointed with me...

Talk to us, Jaime.

ted
Last edited by unirdna on May 4th, 2010, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2010, 1:28 pm #5

that I'm shooting. For precision, holdover just doesn't work out well...even with Mildots....

I use 3-inch orange pasters as aiming points, with a 1-inch cross drawn in the center with a big, black sharpie....this gives me a reference point I can see, and crosshairs to line the scope up with to ensure that it's level....

For precision long range shooting (or any precision shooting for that matter) the setup and doing everything the exact same is the key....folks just don't realize the discipline that it takes to shoot good groups.....and not every one of mine is good for sure...but when they aren't good...I can nearly always point to myself...concentration dropped...something.....

While there is a certain satisfaction in shooting a great group...it is mentally exhausting to do for extended periods....

s/f

Jamie

May 4th, 2010, 2:43 pm #6

That certainly makes sense - zeroing the scope for each range. I'm sure that's what all the FT guys do - hence, all the little white dials on top of their scopes.

I come from the gun discipline of 40-yard "set it and forget it". This long range stuff is new to me, and admittedly I'm getting sucked in. But, yes, I agree - the concentration required for this kind of shooting is taxing on the nerves.

May 14th, 2010, 4:11 am #7

Predators at 50yds

FTS's at 50yds

Crosman Pointed's

H&N Barracuda Match

Semper Fi,

Jamie

I always see pictures and there's never a bent up one

May 26th, 2010, 3:53 pm #8

I took a moth out yesterday that landed on my target.