Final 3...maybe

Final 3...maybe

April 16th, 2017, 4:40 pm #1

Ok so my PCP purchase is down to 3 choices. There are others I would rather have but I must consider the limitation of hand pumping. Bought a cheap PCP and I can pump from 120 bar to 200 pretty easily with tube resovoir. So 200 bar pressure is the benchmark for consideration..

Evanix Rainstorm II .22
Daystate Regal XL .22
Cricket carbine .22

Would like 25+ shots on a fill.

I'm aware these are all very different animals but would like to hear hands on experience with each. I'm 90% hunt and pesting. Robust construction and low maintenance is important. I kind of like the Brocock Compatto also. I'm not too interested in requiring a tune or the necessity to add a long ldc. Of course accuracy is king. For what I do a regulator doesn't seem a requirement.

Other 200bar options are welcome.

Thanks.

BMH
Last edited by texasair on April 16th, 2017, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2017, 5:21 pm #2

the Cricket Carbine/Rifle. It's the most accurate, is regulated, has easily adjustable power, has a higher shot count that is linear, and it balances very nicely. Probably the most quiet as well. Downside...it's the most expensive.
The Daystate Regal would be my only other choice of the 3 listed.
BTW - I still have a Cricket Rifle but now it's my heavy hitting .25 which I converted from .22 cal.
Last edited by AndyH44 on April 16th, 2017, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2017, 6:08 pm #3

I appreciate your input

April 16th, 2017, 6:11 pm #4

the Cricket Carbine/Rifle. It's the most accurate, is regulated, has easily adjustable power, has a higher shot count that is linear, and it balances very nicely. Probably the most quiet as well. Downside...it's the most expensive.
BTW - I still have a Cricket Rifle but now it's my heavy hitting .25 which I converted from .22 cal.
I have 2 Crickets, one in 177 and one in .25. Both are super accurate and have great shot count. However, they are heavy and you may not like the bullpup platform. I also have a Regal XL in .22. It is much lighter, has beautiful appearance, gets 40 shots per fill, and is as accurate as any other rifle out there, including the real high end stuff. While pricey, the magazines are a joy to use, and not as quirky as the Crickets. Forget the Evanix. IMO, it's not in the same league. For $999, the Daystate wins.
Last edited by jps2486 on April 16th, 2017, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2017, 6:42 pm #5

Ok so my PCP purchase is down to 3 choices. There are others I would rather have but I must consider the limitation of hand pumping. Bought a cheap PCP and I can pump from 120 bar to 200 pretty easily with tube resovoir. So 200 bar pressure is the benchmark for consideration..

Evanix Rainstorm II .22
Daystate Regal XL .22
Cricket carbine .22

I'm aware these are all very different animals but would like to hear hands on experience with each. I'm 90% hunt and pesting. Robust construction and low maintenance is important. I kind of like the Brocock Compatto also. I'm not too interested in requiring a tune or the necessity to add a long ldc. Of course accuracy is king. For what I do a regulator doesn't seem a requirement.

Thanks.

BMH
Tuned by Earnest for $800. Grab it and don't look back! The Daystate is a fine choice also.

April 16th, 2017, 6:58 pm #6

I have the Daystate Regal and it is very accurate. I like that it is very light and has a good balance. You will not go wrong with a Regal. It is a beautiful and well built rifle.

April 16th, 2017, 7:38 pm #7

Evanix Rainstorm II .22
Daystate Regal XL .22
Cricket carbine .22

Thanks.

BMH
Go with Cricket....if nothing else better resale/demand IMO.

April 16th, 2017, 7:39 pm #8

Tuned by Earnest for $800. Grab it and don't look back! The Daystate is a fine choice also.
you want a Long Gun then the Daystate at only 6 1/2 lbs and good quality old style bolt action right side cocking. If you are right handed you Must remove the trigger finger to cock....
If the Cricket is a consideration you "Might" be able to move the cocking lever to the left side and always keep a sight picture while cocking.
Last edited by CheckUrSix on April 16th, 2017, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2017, 8:30 pm #9

I appreciate your input
I fill from my 2 100cft 3200 psi scuba tanks and get 48 good shots per 210 bar fill fwiw my cricket was tuned by Mr Rowe and is superbly accurate... at about 870 fps, it has taken a couple of large woodchucks @ 40 to 50 yds with single head shot. I would expect ~40 good shots from a 2900 fill

April 16th, 2017, 9:51 pm #10

Don't know if it was the OP who got it, but if not you might want to consider looking for a used Mutant Shorty with the CZ barrel. They are very air efficient and can be easily tuned for a little lower velocity and higher shot count. They are extremely accurate and the trigger is almost as good as my $2K+ RAW.