Ever create a "scope cascade"?

Ever create a "scope cascade"?

March 18th, 2017, 1:11 am #1

"Scope Cascade" siutuation...new one goes "here"..old one goes there...2nd old one goes there...etc.

Buy a new scope that is "perect" for one rifle, and you start a kind of avalance of scope swapping.

Which is what heppened with a couple of simple 4X32AO scopes.

Started a Scope cascade by oredering a couple of 4X32AO scopes. Not really needing higher poere scopes for lwoer-powered co2 rifles, I started swapping.

4X goes on the co2 "Plinker", 6X comes off.
6X goes on the PCP "varmint", and it's 3-9X comes off.
3-9X from the "varmint" goes on he M10, and the 3-12X comes off.

The old 3-12X stays "loose" as a scope I can trust when testing any new rifle.

Any way, the first one up for resighting was the CO2 "Plinker" with the new 4X on top, testing at 20 yards, 5-shot groups, really didn't see an accuray change.

Did notice it's a bit faster to get on target on "twitchy" pest-birds (which is the only live-critter-action I'm likely to see for the next 5-6 months)...and ikely "more than enough" for an 8.5 foot pound .177 rife,

Observations:

1. At least to 20-35 ards, don't rally see a difference between 6X and 4X sightning. EITHER s "enough".
2. Do appreciate the slightly larger field fiew of th 4X when soriing out the "bark from the feathers" on a fast shot.
3. 4X OR 6x. Really doesn't make a rat'sarse when shooting under 100 feet (33 yards).

Now I've gotta test/sight in the 6X on trhe POlinker nd the 2-9X on the M10.

Pretty much created 3X the effort for one scope change.
Last edited by gubb33ps on March 18th, 2017, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

N2T

March 18th, 2017, 1:58 am #2

Put a 4-24x50 on my .223, moved the old 4-12x40 to my .243, moved the .243 scope to the 06, moved the 06 scope to the 7mm-08 and gave the 08 scope to a friend, lol.

March 18th, 2017, 1:16 pm #3

"Scope Cascade" siutuation...new one goes "here"..old one goes there...2nd old one goes there...etc.

Buy a new scope that is "perect" for one rifle, and you start a kind of avalance of scope swapping.

Started a Scope cascade by oredering a couple of 4X32AO scopes. Not really needing higher poere scopes for lwoer-powered co2 rifles, I started swapping.

Any way, the first one up for resighting was the CO2 "Plinker" with the new 4X on top, testing at 20 yards, 5-shot groups, really didn't see an accuray change.

Did notice it's a bit faster to get on target on "twitchy" pest-birds (which is the only live-critter-action I'm likely to see for the next 5-6 months)...and ikely "more than enough" for an 8.5 foot pound .177 rife,

Observations:

1. At least to 20-35 ards, don't rally see a difference between 6X and 4X sightning. EITHER s "enough".
2. Do appreciate the slightly larger field fiew of th 4X when soriing out the "bark from the feathers" on a fast shot.
3. 4X OR 6x. Really doesn't make a rat'sarse when shooting under 100 feet (33 yards).

More times than I care to remember.

March 18th, 2017, 1:33 pm #4

Observations:

...that's rare, very seldom find a match that I consider "just right".

So every new scope starts a cascade of swapping (excluding the few that already found their homes).

March 18th, 2017, 2:24 pm #5

Observations:

Although, until just now, I had No idea what the Actual term for it was! Thanks for clearing That up!

March 18th, 2017, 2:42 pm #6

Observations:

Matter of fact I just did it again yesterday when a new scope arrived. Guess that's why I'm selling a few off. 6 to go and I'll be even!

March 19th, 2017, 6:09 am #7

Observations:

Although I've recently put a slight twist on the concept. I have a rifle that wears two scopes (not at the same time). It has a 10x40mm Bushnell Mil/Mil, FFP for doping long range shots (300m) on steel targets. I switch to a Weaver T36, 36x40mm for shooting tiny groups at 25/50 yards.

I just bought a Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm, Mil/Mil, FFP that should be able to do the job of both the other scopes. I need to sell those two original scopes before I buy two new rifles to put under them. I don't trust me. I know how I am.

I know, first-world problems. I'm not complaining.