Edgun R3 with BSA barrel.

Edgun R3 with BSA barrel.

August 12th, 2012, 8:36 am #1

I have been looking for the best accuracy that I can get out of my Edgun Matador R3 25 cal long. While waiting for the R3 to come in, I ordered a new 25 cal BSA Lonestar from AOA. It cost me $425 shipped and I just wanted the barrel off of it. I wanted the barrel for the R3 when it came in.

The stock R3 shot very well but, I would get the occasional fliers with the special LW barrel that Ed has made to his specs. I cant really say, shot for shot, that the BSA barrel is any more accurate than the special LW barrel but, I have fewer fliers with the BSA barrel. I think that the BSAs 243 bore swages the JSBs down and removes any OD differences in the skirt and head.

I ordered a RCE swaging press and a .224 and .257 die for it. I ordered 2 Barrels from Hart Barrels; a .224 groove-.219 bore and a 257 groove-250 bore. I also ordered 2 hammer forged barrels from JTS Enterprises; a 250 groove-243 bore and a 257 groove-250 bore. The JTs 243 barrel was ordered to use with JSB 25.4 grain pellets. The other 3 barrels were going to be used for my swaged bullets.

The results were not very promising. Richard Corbin (RCE) is making me another 257 dia bullet die that he says would shoot the best in an air gun. I am waiting for it to come in, if it doesnt work out any better, I may have to try casting bullets.

While waiting for the RCE die to come in, I put my BSA Lonestar barrel back on the Matador and went to the range to sight it back in and get some muzzle, 50 and 100 yard fps numbers so I can plug them into Chairgun. After sighting in, at 50 yards, I shot some 100 yard groups. The groups were ½ mil dot high and ½ mill dot to the right from where Chairgun figured out my drop charts for the stock LW barrel.

Punching the numbers into Chairgun, the stock LW barrel has a BC 0f .366 and the BSA barrel has a BC of .410. I noticed the same results on my R2.5 25 long when I put a BSA barrel on it. The BSA barrel is hammer forged and doesnt cut the JSBs up like the LW barrels rifling does. That could be the reason for the different BC. Yrrah, where are you?

I was ready to leave the range and I thought that I would set up 10, 7mm Mauser shells at 100 yards and see if I could hit them. One fell over by the time I got back to the table. I knew that the Matador was shooting high and to the right, it took me the first 3 shells to get the windage and elevation figured out.

Im happy with the final six shots! A 7mm Mauser shell measures .485 wide by 2.102 tall. I could only find 3 of the 9 shells. The other 6 must have crawled off and died somewhere.

[/IMG]

Edgun Matador R3 25 cal long version, with a BSA barrel, shooting JSB 25.4 grain pellets at 901 fps muzzle fps. These pellets were weight sorted and all weighed 25.2 grains. I was shooting off of a table, using a Harris bipod and an adjustable rear rest. Not the best setup, kind of shakey. I need to find something that works better.

Here is a 5 min unedited video. I really thought about editing the first 3 shells out, you guys would have never known the difference!

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... 0yards.mp4

Have Edguns, Will Travel.
Last edited by oldgoat1 on August 12th, 2012, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2012, 11:19 am #2

Do you or are you having any lead build up issues?

Scott

I plink therefore I am

August 12th, 2012, 1:22 pm #3

I have been looking for the best accuracy that I can get out of my Edgun Matador R3 25 cal long. While waiting for the R3 to come in, I ordered a new 25 cal BSA Lonestar from AOA. It cost me $425 shipped and I just wanted the barrel off of it. I wanted the barrel for the R3 when it came in.

The stock R3 shot very well but, I would get the occasional fliers with the special LW barrel that Ed has made to his specs. I cant really say, shot for shot, that the BSA barrel is any more accurate than the special LW barrel but, I have fewer fliers with the BSA barrel. I think that the BSAs 243 bore swages the JSBs down and removes any OD differences in the skirt and head.

I ordered a RCE swaging press and a .224 and .257 die for it. I ordered 2 Barrels from Hart Barrels; a .224 groove-.219 bore and a 257 groove-250 bore. I also ordered 2 hammer forged barrels from JTS Enterprises; a 250 groove-243 bore and a 257 groove-250 bore. The JTs 243 barrel was ordered to use with JSB 25.4 grain pellets. The other 3 barrels were going to be used for my swaged bullets.

The results were not very promising. Richard Corbin (RCE) is making me another 257 dia bullet die that he says would shoot the best in an air gun. I am waiting for it to come in, if it doesnt work out any better, I may have to try casting bullets.

While waiting for the RCE die to come in, I put my BSA Lonestar barrel back on the Matador and went to the range to sight it back in and get some muzzle, 50 and 100 yard fps numbers so I can plug them into Chairgun. After sighting in, at 50 yards, I shot some 100 yard groups. The groups were ½ mil dot high and ½ mill dot to the right from where Chairgun figured out my drop charts for the stock LW barrel.

Punching the numbers into Chairgun, the stock LW barrel has a BC 0f .366 and the BSA barrel has a BC of .410. I noticed the same results on my R2.5 25 long when I put a BSA barrel on it. The BSA barrel is hammer forged and doesnt cut the JSBs up like the LW barrels rifling does. That could be the reason for the different BC. Yrrah, where are you?

I was ready to leave the range and I thought that I would set up 10, 7mm Mauser shells at 100 yards and see if I could hit them. One fell over by the time I got back to the table. I knew that the Matador was shooting high and to the right, it took me the first 3 shells to get the windage and elevation figured out.

Im happy with the final six shots! A 7mm Mauser shell measures .485 wide by 2.102 tall. I could only find 3 of the 9 shells. The other 6 must have crawled off and died somewhere.

[/IMG]

Edgun Matador R3 25 cal long version, with a BSA barrel, shooting JSB 25.4 grain pellets at 901 fps muzzle fps. These pellets were weight sorted and all weighed 25.2 grains. I was shooting off of a table, using a Harris bipod and an adjustable rear rest. Not the best setup, kind of shakey. I need to find something that works better.

Here is a 5 min unedited video. I really thought about editing the first 3 shells out, you guys would have never known the difference!

Sounds like you have experimented quite a bit! Very nice post. And things seem to be going good for you with your efforts. Can't argue with those shots for sure, good shooting! Are you thinking the new dies will do better when the come it? Seems like you have tried several things with the barrels, just cusious if you have checked the leed in? I am sure you have but I have heard some find problems with it being rough or marked up in some way. Very interesting in what you have tried, I am sure your work will, or should I say allready has proven out!

August 12th, 2012, 1:34 pm #4

[/IMG]

for the 100 yards range. I think you left out some "0"s in your BC figures

A little lower BC for 50 yards and a little higher for 200 yards gets an excellent fit in Chairgun Ballistica.

I now have a John Bowkett prepared .25 BSA barrel to instal in my FX Elite to compare with the excellent ST Elite barrel. Perhaps that will be done next farm trip. Yes the BSA .25 barrels are in fact nearer .243 at the muzzle.
You sure have some money tied up in barrels OG. .......... Best regards, Harry.

August 12th, 2012, 3:54 pm #5

[/IMG]

Tedd,what is the difference in O.D. LW vs.BSA ?Looking forward to the other Ted`s video also.
Thanks for your efforts,mark

mark in mass

August 12th, 2012, 9:15 pm #6

Scott, I pull a couple of patches thru every 200 shots or so. I keep pulling them thru until they come out clean. I think that the JSBs might have some lube on them. After 200 shots, the bore is very dirty.

Eddie, I hope that the new die works out. Richard Corbin says that it will. It is going to be a bore riding bullet with a driving band. I sent Richard a lead barrel slug that Hart supplied me from the 257 groove-250 bore barrel that they sent me. Richards idea for the best shooting bullet is a 1 Ogive nose, 250 Dia bullet that has a driving band that is 257. The bullet will have a hollow base so I can get a longer bullet without the extra weight of a solid base bullet. I will be able to adjust the length of the driving band and also adjust the overall length/weight of the bullet. All 4 of the barrels came in without any in lead or crown cut. I always redo, or at least polish, the in lead and crown anyway on any of my new guns so, that was not a big deal.

Harry: Yes, I left a 0 out on the BCs. OOPS! Any ideas why a BSA barrel has a higher BC than a LW barrel does? I have noticed this on both of my Matadors that I have fitted a BSA barrel on. Shooting JSB 25.4 pellets, the 2 BSA barrels give a higher BC than the LW barrels do. Very intriguing.

Mark, the stock R3 Matadors barrel measures .478. My BSA barrel is .619. I had to have the breech end cut down to .478 for the first 11.5 then I had to have an adaptor made, to go from the BSAs ½ UNC threads to the Matadors 12 mm X 1.25 mm pitch threads for the muzzle end so the baffle would screw on. The BSA barrel then needed to be cut for length, from the breech end, threaded 12 mm X 1.25 pitch and I had to do the in lead.

Here is the only crappy pic that I have of the finished BSA barrel. It also includes the stock Matador barrel, one of the swaging dies and a LW barrel that I ordered.

[/IMG]

August 13th, 2012, 5:07 am #7

Pellets shot from my BSA barrels do not show the exact same rifling groove edges on both sides of the grooves as do those shot from a normal cut barrel. But I somehow doubt that the rifling marks are the cause of apparently better BC. The BSA barrels, as you write, are approx .243 or 6.172 mm rather than 6.35 mm. Perhaps frontal area has something to do with it.

So I don't have a clear answer to your question yet OG .... Best regards, Harry.