Does having a bucket height restriction really make sense for Pistols or Rifles?

Does having a bucket height restriction really make sense for Pistols or Rifles?

September 23rd, 2011, 5:36 am #1

In the existing HFT Game, the maximum height for the shooter's bucket/stool is 15". One can use a bipod/shooting sticks as well.

Alternatively, one can just shoot HFT sitting directly on the ground supporting the rifle solely by themselves. They could also elect to shoot with a bipod from a prone or standing position as well. Shooting HFT completely Off Hand is another option as well.

Clearly lots of options available to the shooter as to the position, i.e. seated, prone, standing, kneeling, they use in HFT.

Why not remove the height restriction? Clearly a taller bucket/stool would suit a taller shooter better. Additionally, it would likely be better for shooters with physical issues that prevent them from safely and/or easily sitting and standing up from a 15" seat.

Some folks don't like changes due to potential for having a competitive to advantage but I don't see how removing the seat height could yield an unfair advantage.

What's your take and why?

Regards,

Tony

September 23rd, 2011, 6:02 am #2

Not the only waste of time rule IMO... Whoever thought up that rule was unlikely to have shot much, if any in Hunter class. It`s much harder to get a stable position perched on a bucket than the ground. The higher the bucket the worse the position. At least this rule prevents no one from shooting. Just makes those who wrote it look incompetent or careless...

September 23rd, 2011, 6:20 am #3

Provide better stability for me compared to being on a bum bag or directly on the ground.

Regards,

Tony

September 23rd, 2011, 6:32 am #4

In the existing HFT Game, the maximum height for the shooter's bucket/stool is 15". One can use a bipod/shooting sticks as well.

Alternatively, one can just shoot HFT sitting directly on the ground supporting the rifle solely by themselves. They could also elect to shoot with a bipod from a prone or standing position as well. Shooting HFT completely Off Hand is another option as well.

Clearly lots of options available to the shooter as to the position, i.e. seated, prone, standing, kneeling, they use in HFT.

Why not remove the height restriction? Clearly a taller bucket/stool would suit a taller shooter better. Additionally, it would likely be better for shooters with physical issues that prevent them from safely and/or easily sitting and standing up from a 15" seat.

Some folks don't like changes due to potential for having a competitive to advantage but I don't see how removing the seat height could yield an unfair advantage.

Regards,

Tony
we use to shoot on a BEAN BAG, 2 1/2" . But when you sat on it, especially a guy like I use to be it would bottom out. No harness, side apertures. Bring a gun and shoot. I started with a Marksman model 70.
Now a days because of my age and my knees, I choose Hunter Class. When I first asked about two years ago, the rules were NO TRI pots, 15" on the bench,or bucket, look around next time at FT match,(Not a state or championship) So I bought a Bi pot and a handicap shower bench, when lowered is 15''. But I don't have the padding like I use to,it hurts sitting on that thing. Can be raised if the rules change mind you. I'm having fun. I'll be around for a while. My input.

September 23rd, 2011, 6:33 am #5

Provide better stability for me compared to being on a bum bag or directly on the ground.

Regards,

Tony
but works for me.
Last edited by Airgunmanart on September 23rd, 2011, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 23rd, 2011, 8:13 am #6

Regards,

Tony
Why are there seat height restrictions at all?

What about the shooter sitting on the ground... doesn't he or she have an unfair advantage? Just think of how steady a shooter can be with a harness and a shooting jacket rested against the ground. Shooting gloves, jackets, shoes, bipods, and sticks are all OK but a bucket or seat is a no no?

Why can't anyone shoot open PCP class or any other class except offhand seated on anything they want to sit on as long as it doesn't provide support for the rifle or pistol?

Airguns are a gas

Boomer

September 23rd, 2011, 10:51 am #7

Regards,

Tony
I don't understand for the life of me why some individuals must keep questioning HFT rules especially here because all it does is tick those off that want to find peace in FT somewhere. Bring your thoughts up to those that make them and please stop raising my BP! Sorry, I guess at times I'm a pot stirer too but HFT seems to be always under fire by some that choose to play the other classes.
Last edited by dayjd on September 23rd, 2011, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 23rd, 2011, 12:00 pm #8

Regards,

Tony
to get Squirrels, Rabbits, Deer, Coyote, Ducks, Hogs...etc? I guess some want a Throw Back Thursday where we all bring in Lawn Chairs like in the old days!!!

Tony if some have problems getting off a 15" stool because they have mobility issues I guess I hear that part. But if you all seek to change it then I guess what will be considered reasonable? There can be a encroachment on Safety Factor that might exist in having taller stools on uneven ground/terrain, that could put a match director and his facility at risk of having an injury occur.

I don't shoot HFT, so that is a problem for guy that shoot to figure out. I would think most have ad a chance to see what might be more acceptable. Also is this a overall consensus type question or do you have a few that this might apply to?

It is what it is, because it is!!!

September 23rd, 2011, 12:05 pm #9

Why are there seat height restrictions at all?

What about the shooter sitting on the ground... doesn't he or she have an unfair advantage? Just think of how steady a shooter can be with a harness and a shooting jacket rested against the ground. Shooting gloves, jackets, shoes, bipods, and sticks are all OK but a bucket or seat is a no no?

Why can't anyone shoot open PCP class or any other class except offhand seated on anything they want to sit on as long as it doesn't provide support for the rifle or pistol?

Airguns are a gas

Boomer
"What about the shooter sitting on the ground... doesn't he or she have an unfair advantage?"

The shooter setting on the ground (No bumbag) can actually find themselves at a disadvantage with obstacles in front of a KZ, making it more difficult for them to shoot a target. I've had this convo with a person that shoots very low to the ground and only uses a 1/2" panel of foam to keep their butt from getting wet.

It is what it is, because it is!!!

September 23rd, 2011, 12:55 pm #10

Regards,

Tony
body/gun support between the lane markers was allowed, even prone while resting the gun on the sittin bucket. The only restriction was that the "bucket" couldn't have a back. Since the body/gun supporting rules were so relaxed in the beginning we even had one DIFTA match (pre "official rules") where a shooter showed up with a low lawn chair, a socketed PCP fitted with a camera tripod! LOL......this "hunter class shooter" was actually laying in the lawn chair, resting the PCP on the socketed & attached tripod for the match......and the match director didn't take exception to this arrangement! Personally I feel that in those early days hft wasn't taken seriously as a class and the MD didn't really care what shooters showed up with. It did surprise me though that a shooter would "bend the rules for advantage" to such an extent, just to win a piece of paper. Personally, I believe that we have some silly hft rules just to guard against such "creative interpretations".

At a couple recent matches a shooter simply showed up with his bumm bag and legally shot hft traditional FT "pretzel style" so there is still a wide latitude in allowed hft shooting positions. Come to think of it, the "bumm bag sittin' hft shooter" even went a step further by guessing the range, set the AO accordingly (no actual rangefinding), then taking the shot regardless if he guessed the distance correctly. He actually did well, however the flatness of his PCP trajectory aided his shooting method.

Anywhoo......I PERSONALLY don't care what kind of NORMAL HUNTING body/gun support is used between the lane markers (or even the actual lane markers themselves) for hft........but then the issue becomes the definition of "normal hunting support". Ya see.......a feller could always claim "I always hunt ground squirrels with my tripod fitted Styer while lounging in my lawn chair", but to ME this isn't a NORMAL hunting setup!