Do you guys think we all read into benchrest accuracy a little much ? ...

May 29th, 2017, 12:57 am #1

I personally know I can't out shoot a impact with my condor ss from a rest but I can hang for Sure if I keep my air level where I need it . That said most of us over look a lot of airguns that are certainly capable of great things . Always keep this in mind when your leaning on a tree with your footing on a slippery rock ...that benchrest 1/2 group means total sh** now :)lol

May 29th, 2017, 1:23 am #2

From what I can tell most of the shooters never shoot except when seated at a bench anyway.

May 29th, 2017, 2:42 am #3

I personally know I can't out shoot a impact with my condor ss from a rest but I can hang for Sure if I keep my air level where I need it . That said most of us over look a lot of airguns that are certainly capable of great things . Always keep this in mind when your leaning on a tree with your footing on a slippery rock ...that benchrest 1/2 group means total sh** now :)lol
bench rest shooting time.First I need to establish if I have the ability to shoot groups in a bench situation that compares to other shooters that share their bragging rights.With this confidence I then try to imitate the skills that I honed from this kind of shooting .

May 29th, 2017, 3:15 am #4

Benchrest accuracy shows a shooter's and guns potential to establish a baseline of performance. This is where you learn what a gun can do in your hands. After you bench one it's important to try other holds. This tells you what your personal limitations are.

May 29th, 2017, 3:17 am #5

by sitting at a bench( or other solid rest) getting that skill at reading the wind is confounded by too many variables.

But expecting groups from an improvised rest in the field like you get off the bench?...not realistic.

May 29th, 2017, 9:57 am #6

can only be read from a solid bench rest under ideal (windless) conditions.

Benchresting is the only "scientific" and credible method of determining;
1) the grouping capabilities of any ammo
2) the point of impact and adjustments
3) any gun's true accuracy potential

Now when my foot is on that slippery rock and I'm leaning against that tree ....that 1/2 inch group means everything because I now know that I do in fact have a 1/2 in to work with and what I must do to land my 1/2 in group potential on my intended target.

DOPE....(data on personal equipment) or doping refers to a snipers notebook on his particular rifle. DOPE is something any serious shooter compiles on paper or in his mind....best gleaned from a solid rest.

If your "Impact" outshoots your "Condor" from the bench, I believe it will out shoot your "Condor" everywhere else.

May 29th, 2017, 12:23 pm #7

"bench shooting" prefering to do all my practicing from "bucket and sticks" which I do use when still hunting squirrels. LOL.....I still shoot some OK 50 yard groups with my .177 HW95 and .177 R9 while swaying on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks..........

15 out of 20 CPLs through a 3/4" killzone......

This thread kinda reminds me of a field target match I attended years ago when the shooter I was squadded with asked "how tight of a group can your R9 shoot at 50 yards". I replied "I really don't know because I don't shoot good enough to tell". With that reply I was awestruck to hear "if I can't put 20 out of 20 pellets in a 1/2" group at 50 yards with my TX200 I know something is wrong with the gun". I simply told him that I was amazed by his shooting skills and took note that by the end of the match my score was higher than his!

Anywhoo.....I really don't know how inherently accurate my R9 or HW95 is at 50 yards, but it's comforting to know that the gun is more accurate than "the shooter sitting on a bucket" and I occasionally shoot some pretty good groups regardless. When hunting critters I seldom shoot past 40 yards preferring to stalk within 30yards (or closer) if shooting under field conditions because a 50 yard shot at a squirrel is a "lottery shot" unless I know the exact distance within a couple yards (which I don't).

May 29th, 2017, 1:21 pm #8

I hunt, plink, target shoot and practice only with switch cane sticks - about 4.5 ft. long, 1/2 in diameter. When dry, the sticks only weigh about 1 oz. each. It will surprise you how well you can shoot from a sitting position with the sticks. Occasionally, I come up with a 1/2 in group at 60 yards from a sitting position with elbows on my knees using this methods. Easy to carry and after shooting with this method for about 8 years, I do not feel disadvantaged even compared to using a bench.

May 29th, 2017, 1:29 pm #9

position, has to be worth something, no?

May 29th, 2017, 1:45 pm #10

Very true James. I almost never shoot off-hand,so I cant hit a 5 gallon bucket that way.